Players I Would Pay Now | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players I Would Pay Now

I'm sure some team in FA will overpay Holland similar to how we saw the Panthers stun everyone with Robert Hunt's deal.

Knowing that, I'd wager Holland probably wants to play it out, especially knowing he has another season to build his resume up.

I'm also not sure I want to put money into Safety until I know I'm good at CB and right now we have a huge question opposite Ramsey. Will they keep Kader Kohou in the slot? Will Kohou return to top form in some sort of man-based scheme versus the Fangio zone stuff he struggled with last year? Will Cam Smith step up into the role of starter? We don't know.

I'm not sure you can do anything with Jaelan Phillips until you see him return. You need to feel good about his explosiveness and his durability before assessing what he'll be worth. Also note that he's a good player but not an NFL elite. So you need to be careful with long-term contracts at his position which can quickly get out of hand. The risk is especially high for the Dolphins since this involves a player whose injuries have ranged from Concussions to Soft-tissue to Achilles.

I'm pretty much all for getting in front of a Jaylen Waddle extension. The team should certainly be getting the structure in place now. He's a talent. He's a good fit. He's been productive with our QB. He could be valuable in a variety of systems. He scores TDs. What's not to like?

Never pay anyone before you have to.

This is the law of the jungle.

Waddle, Holland, and Phillips are going to get more. I can’t imagine Waddle signing for less than what Calvin Ridley just got. Waddle and Phillips (even w/ the injury) would get monster deals on the open market. Waddle is who we should extend NOW as the WR market is only going to keep going up. Also need to take care of Holland now since he was a 2nd round pick/no 5th year.

Ezukanma is a vet minimum non guaranteed salary type of player as is….. he does have the potential but hasn’t flashed yet outside of camp/preseason.

So we don't lose them in the future and we have them locked so to not over pay too much. Below is what I would offer our players.

Holland - 4 years 35 Mil 25 guaranteed. With his last two years being somewhat underwhelming, even though his numbers were better this year, I think this would be a good start for him. Gives him a little above 6mil per yr with other incentives.

Phillips - 5 years 75 Mil 55 guaranteed. Coming off the injury, we have total leverage right now. This would give almost 11 mil per year. I admit, I'm always screaming against signing injured players but this isn't that bad for an edge and I would include medical clause and have an out after 3 yrs.

Waddle - 4 yrs 80 mil 65 guaranteed. That's pretty much 16 mil per year with other incentives to make. I'm paying Waddle and getting rid of Hill in 2026. The reason I don't go higher is because of the injury history which is also why I come in a little low comparative to others in the league. Still have to draft a big tall fast compliment to Waddle though.

E Ezukanma - 3 yrs 15 mil 10 guarenteed. this is my kinda outta right field signing. I like this kid. I think he should be utilized more. We've seen him bully dudes when they attempt to tackle. Imo, we have to find a way to get this dude on the field.

These are my four. Who are yours? We have to take care of this now to avoid ANOTHER year like this year where we lose our guys we drafted. What's the consensus? Is this realistic, am I close on the numbers or am I waaaaaaay off here?

PS. I left Tua out on purpose to try and avoid another Tua thread. We all already know the situation there.

Yeah besides east E most of what you suggested would have to be almost double.

Holland is getting to safety money 20-22 million minimum. He has the same agent as as Deshawn Watson and Wilkins and we saw their contracts. He’s going to be an issue unless Miami offers him top 3 maybe position setting contract.

Phillips is getting 20 million and that probably if you offer him right now. I can see him betting on himself 5th year and in 2 years with a full recovery and salary increase be around 30 million a year.

Waddle is getting 25 million. Keep an eye on Tee Higgins contract and what he gets and that’ll be ballpark. I’d hesitant signing him as I don’t view him as a top tier wr 1. He’s a great #2 with tyreek on the other side but he drops a lot of pass, catches with his body, does that stupid jump at catch point thing and he’s good for a few wrong routes.

I get it. That injury is nasty. So I'll adjust and say, pending injury recovery, that is what I'd offer because I would try and get him more involved.

Once more why? What has he done in the league to deserve a contract at this point?

Phillips should want to test the open market

On a related note I imagine Austin Jackson is kicking himself and his agent; someone would have backed up the brinks truck for a a 24 year old tackle.

Yeah but guaranteed contract with games to play is better then risking it. Sure paid off for Wilkins but Connor Williams probably cost himself 30-40 million not accepting an extension and getting hurt. He’s now injured so teams are going with healthy options and won’t get a chance until late summer when he’s almost healthy and even then it’ll probably be a 1 year prove it deal at a low price before he has a chance at another deal.

Holland is:
1) a safety
2) only ever made one huge impact play.
There is so much talk about Holland, his potential- I think he's a good, solid player, but he's no Ed Reed or even a Brock Marion.
Are we estimating his value on what people surmise he could become?

Graded as the 4th safety and 2021 and #3 in 2023. Not all about impact plays. Sure would like to see more but guys getting 20 million+ a year.

Last edited:
Waddle is getting 25 million. Keep an eye on Tee Higgins contract and what he gets and that’ll be ballpark. I’d hesitant signing him as I don’t view him as a top tier wr 1. He’s a great #2 with tyreek on the other side but he drops a lot of pass, catches with his body, does that stupid jump at catch point thing and he’s good for a few wrong routes.
Interesting take.

If you don't see Waddle as the ultimate #1 after the eventual departure of Hill, then you can't pay him like a #1.

Higgins is set to make $21M this year with the franchise tag in Cincy.....but has requested a trade. The more I'm seeing these types of numbers, I think your $25M number is probably pretty close

Once more why? What has he done in the league to deserve a contract at this point?
If you read my post I already stated. Because I would be trying to get him more involved if I was the coach. I can concede though 10 mil may be too much but I want to give him something for an increased role.

Graded as the 4 safety and 2021 and #3 in 2023. Not all about impact plays. Sure would like to see more but guys getting 20 million+ a year.
What??????? So you think someone makes him the highest paid Safety in the league???

Interesting take.

If you don't see Waddle as the ultimate #1 after the eventual departure of Hill, then you can't pay him like a #1.

Higgins is set to make $21M this year with the franchise tag in Cincy.....but has requested a trade. The more I'm seeing these types of numbers, I think your $25M number is probably pretty close

I see him as a similar argument as Tua. Do I see either as a top 5 player? Probably not however there’s an argument to pay them and make them cheap first 2-3 years to try to make a run these next few years while you still have hill and Ramsey. I also think 25 million could be a steal in 2 years just like if Tua gets 50-55 that will be cheap on a year or two with the way contracts are going up. Jjet just turned down 30 a year and wants 35 if he gets that now you have a 10 million dollar gap and then yeah maybe 25 is fair for a top 15-20 wideout which is where I view waddle.

What??????? So you think someone makes him the highest paid Safety in the league???

Without a doubt and more. To be in the top 5 twice in your first 3 years is insane. Throw in who his agent is and he’ll get it, that dude is a problem for teams, guys a shark with blood in the water. If weaver plays similar to Baltimore and his Kyle Hamilton was used, his price is only going to go up this year.

Back
Top Bottom