Please sell me on Fisher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please sell me on Fisher

WestPhish

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I've been on this board for many many moons, but don't do a lot of posting. I decided to post because I am not sold on Fisher and would like you guys to help me get there. Are the Dolphins going after Fisher because he is the best coach out there?, or because he is the only big name coach out there?. The guy has a regular season record of slightly over .500 and below that in the playoffs. What has he done that is so great?. Aren't we better of with some hungry coordinator?. Is this all just desperation on our part?. Please humor me and sell me on Fisher, because I am not convinced.

He's the most experienced candidate out there - the fact that many teams want him says a lot.
He's had five losing seasons in 17 years.
He has a moustache
He's not Tony Sparano.

I'm not either. I'm also a fan of the 3-4 and hate the idea of switching to a 4-3. The defensive coaches coming in is also not something I like. Does that mean Nolan is out? If so, that sucks.

He is a leader of men. He is the best coach available with the most experience. He has a connection to our front office ppl. That hungry assistant we should go after would love to me on his staff because ppl under him become head coaches. He has coached in a small market and had a frugal owner. Not to mention he has coached against some very good comp. Vince young was forced on him and he was able to over come that.

I'd love to convince you, but first someone must convince me. And so far all of the arguements I've seen for him are the same arguments I use against him. IE, hasn't won a SB, is "hungry", is "experienced" etc...

6 winning seasons in 16 full seasons as HC. that is the epitome of mediocrity.

Here's the best argument I got: He's an upgrade from Tony Sparano.

Like it or not, he's probably going to be our coach the way this thing is going. Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's the most experienced candidate out there - the fact that many teams want him says a lot.
He's had five losing seasons in 17 years.

1994- 1-5
1995- 7-9
2001-7-9
2004-5-11
2005-4-12
2010-6-10...6 seasons of sub .500 ball

and another 5 seasons of 8-8

6 winning seasons in 17 years

looks like were going to go from mediocre to mediocre

Fisher looks great compared to who else is out there that wants to coach, only problem is the field so far seems to suck lol

You can look at the numbers and say he had 7 winning seasons but you have to look deeper into the why. He was always snubbed of his better players because he was not in charge of the front office. players like Derrick Mason, Samari Roll, Steve Mcnair, kevin Carter, Javon Kerse, all these guys got cut in their prime and Fishwer was always left to rebuild the team. He always made lower round drafterd players fit in and contribute to the team. Players believe in him and play hard for him. He uses the players that he has on his roster. When he had Eddie Goerge he was the prime player. Then it was mcnair, then it was chris Johnson. He even had Vince Young competing there for a minute.
Fisher is a very very good choice and while I do not believe he will land in Miami, I would be thrilled if he did.

You can look at the numbers and say he had 7 winning seasons but you have to look deeper into the why. He was always snubbed of his better players because he was not in charge of the front office. players like Derrick Mason, Samari Roll, Steve Mcnair, kevin Carter, Javon Kerse, all these guys got cut in their prime and Fishwer was always left to rebuild the team. He always made lower round drafterd players fit in and contribute to the team. Players believe in him and play hard for him. He uses the players that he has on his roster. When he had Eddie Goerge he was the prime player. Then it was mcnair, then it was chris Johnson. He even had Vince Young competing there for a minute.
Fisher is a very very good choice and while I do not believe he will land in Miami, I would be thrilled if he did.

You can't say he had 7 winning seasons in 17 years because he had 6 winning seasons in 17 years

i dont think he is the right fit either - just saw schefter on nfl live say rams have the edge though.

You can't say he had 7 winning seasons in 17 years because he had 6 winning seasons in 17 years

LOL
Good one!

I take it you dont care for Fisher too much.
I wouldnt mind him but I'm rooting for Billick or Bowls...

I will not convince you why we should bring in Fisher, but rather why we should not. This is from another of my posts in response to fin-atic:
He had 6 winning seasons in 16 yrs. Let us contrast with with Don Shula. In 33yrs., Shula had 26 winning seasons(79%). With the Dolphins, Shula had 19 winning seasons out the 26(73%) he coached here. That is a winner, not someone that has a career percentage of .375 in terms of winning more games than you lose every year. Shula inherited a team that went 15-39-2 under George Wilson. In terms of individual games it is not even comparable, with Shula the Dolphins had a record of 257-133-2(66%) that equates to winning 2 out of every 3. Let us look at Shula's career record of 328-156-6 which goes up to 68%. Fisher barely breaks even winning 142 games out of 262(54%). You might say well Fisher had a winning record in the playoffs, but you would be wrong. He had a winning percentage of 46%. This does not add up to a winner!

Let me also add that Fisher is never going to change. If something does not work, like his style of play, he will try to mold something around it to make it work. I would much rather give someone a shot that has less experience that is going to form a system around the players he has rather trying to make the players fit his system. My shiniing example of this is Jim Harbaugh. He took a team that was abyssmal and identified it's strengths. A year later they are one of the best teams in the league.

What the heck is the Guys philosphy?

1) Isn't his style of offense power running? If so doesn't that mean were going to be looking for a power back?
2) Doesn't he perfer a 4-3 defense? If so doesn't that mean we're going to be looking for new personel on Defense?

If so, i dont want him...i want an "open" offense and a hybrid defense. If he's not about those things get the hell outta here!

Back
Top Bottom