Poll What main factor do you attribute to our winning season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll What main factor do you attribute to our winning season

Why did we win this year

• Ajayi running game

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Ryan Tannehill

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Gase

Votes: 112 77.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Gase changed the culture of the team by cutting Thomas when he did. It sent a clear message.

I think Gase changed the culture of the team by cutting Thomas when he did. It sent a clear message.

The culture of the team wasn't changed because if it had, then Dallas Thomas would not have been on the roster (and starting!) when the season opened. The cutting of Thomas was Gase rebelling (and rightly so) against Tannenbaum.

IMO, the main factor was LUCK. They should have lost to Cleveland (of all teams!), and got lucky because their kicker missed several FGs. A defense with more holes than a sieve somehow made a few big plays at the ends of games to squeak out a few wins, where in other seasons they would normally lose those games. If the difference had been coaching, then tell me why they are one of the worst teams in the league in the 1st quarter? This tells me that they are unprepared for the opponent at the start of the game. Relying on injury-prone o-linemen and heading into the season with Dallas Thomas on the roster (and starting) is a sign of poor management at the top; not to mention trading up for unneeded players and giving away vital current and future draft picks for a team that needs to overhaul the roster. Miami had NO picks in the 4th and 5th rounds... Tannenbaum is a fool and will ruin this team.

I understand your thoughts on the teams we played, but don't forget that the Steelers were hot and we beat them. The Jets were on a winning streak and we beat them. The Bills were hot and we beat them. The Chargers were hot and we beat them. On any given day any team can win.

Unfortunately I fear strength of schedule is the biggest reason....Not to say that Gase didn't do a good job or anything but when 9 of your 10 wins came from beating .500 or below teams you have to wonder, Are we really that good?

Mostly Gase, but also the run game. We were 1-4 before the run game took off (would've been 0-5 were it not for a ****ty Cleveland kicker), lets not forget that.

THE REASON? A few week teams like the jets, chargers, rams, bills and good teams missing key players (Pittsburgh).

We were thoroughly trashed by the quality teams we faced. Proof were still not a good team and like the wildcat fluke season, so was our "winning" season of this year.

THE REASON? A few week teams like the jets, chargers, rams, bills and good teams missing key players (Pittsburgh).

We were thoroughly trashed by the quality teams we faced. Proof were still not a good team and like the wildcat fluke season, so was our "winning" season of this year.

Didn't you have your bowels in an uproar over Foster et al, swear early in the season that you were done with this team and wouldn't watch the games any more? So unless you weren't a man of your word, how would you know???

Playing an easy schedule and beating on teams with a losing record
9 wins over teams .500 or under

good job this yr.... next yr will be next test.....harder 2nd place schedule. if u make it next yr you man

We played a lot of crappy teams.

We had some good wins in there, but we got boat raced by the really good teams.

First of all, it was a logical rebound season, after not coming close to matching expectation in 2015. I believe heavily in situational factors. IMO, virtually any coach would have exceeded expectations with the 2016 Dolphins.

Maybe once every 3-4 seasons, if not slightly less likely, is the direction positive as opposed to negative or neutral.

That being said, I give Gase a tremendous amount of credit. phintim asked me about this via PM earlier today, whether I thought Gase was responsible for all the close fortunate wins. Since I'm lazy I'll merely paste my response to him:

"I give plenty of credit to Gase. There may have been some unusually fortunate wins but you have to make a string of good decisions to be in place to take advantage of the opportunities. The Dolphins after the first 5 games were competitive in 9 of the next 10 games, with Baltimore the only exception. Normally there would be several games in which the team is simply unprepared or too many things go wrong. Also, when you fall behind early in the game as frequently as we do, it's even more impressive to forge a record like 10-6.

I thought our play calling improved as the season progressed and as the games progressed. That's partially why I thought we could win some games with Matt Moore. The red zone balance and route schemes are impressive. Bill Lazor had nice spacing and big play creation at midfield but didn't do much with the formations in the red zone. Frustrating. Now we have some nice subtle pick routes that aren't in jeopardy of being flagged because the receiver pivots and reverses just before making contact. He effectively stops the defender's progress but then gets out of the way himself. Sometimes the move to get out of the way is actually a continued pick, but in the path of the defenders altered course. It's really quite creative and borderline brilliant. I found myself stopping the tape to look at it again. Maybe a decade ago I would have started a thread spotlighting those plays but now I don't like to hang around and post back and forth.

Now we need better players. Only once every 3-4 seasons or so is a rebound logical, like it was in 2016. Now Gase has to earn it."

Didn't you have your bowels in an uproar over Foster et al, swear early in the season that you were done with this team and wouldn't watch the games any more? So unless you weren't a man of your word, how would you know???

If only.

Now we have some nice subtle pick routes that aren't in jeopardy of being flagged because the receiver pivots and reverses just before making contact. He effectively stops the defender's progress but then gets out of the way himself. Sometimes the move to get out of the way is actually a continued pick, but in the path of the defenders altered course. It's really quite creative and borderline brilliant. "

Very interesting.

Gase.

He said it usually took about 5 games for his team's to get a handle on his new offense. Game 6 we started a great run of 9-2 to finish the season and make the playoffs.

We have only had 1 winning season in forever. Yeah, it's Gase. And I'm 100% on the bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom