Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring?

Which would you rather have

• A Marino Super Bowl Win

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • The 1972 Perfect Season

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

spydertl79

Active Roster
Reaction score
This is an interesting question, if you were given a choice of keeping the 1972 undefeated season or giving Dan Marino a Super Bowl worthy team, what would you choose? I can't decide myself.:confused:

No and I don't think Marino would either. The 72 Phins were perfect and no one else has been or probably ever will be. It was a great team accomplishment and it is certainly worth a lot more than one ring for Marino.

Man that is one tough question.

But i am going to go with the perfect season because we are the only team that ever done something that great.

I didn't understand the "neither" option, so I had to go with the "Perfect Season.

What exaclty did you mean by neither? I can't see anyone voting for not wanting one of them to happen.

we honestly do have bragging rights for probably the rest of history as we know it because of the undefeated season. Its hard to say that anyone would trade that season for marino to have a ring. Even marino himself would probably vote for the undefeated season. it meant something to him too. as i believe in 85 the bears only lost one game. to the marino led dolphins on monday night. It was a huge win that probably saved the undefeated season from being as important as it is today.

BlitPhinFan said:
I didn't understand the "neither" option, so I had to go with the "Perfect Season.

What exaclty did you mean by neither? I can't see anyone voting for not wanting one of them to happen.
I meant to say undecided. Too late now.

Very Tough, But I watched all of Marino's 17 years and was too young for 72'. I may have to go with The Great One getting his ring, but obviously not downplaying 72' and their perfection. Just a personal choice.

spydertl79 said:
I meant to say undecided. Too late now.

Ah... that makes sense then. I would still have to stick with my original vote for the "Perfect Season" though. You just don't mess with perfection. :D

To me this is a no brainer, we did something in 1972 that will NEVER be done again. Of course I wanted Marino to win a SB, but I wouldn't give up the perfect season for anything.

spydertl79 said:
I wasn't alive in 72 but I remember Marino's greatness.

I was barely alive in 72' but I have watched all the games. Heck when I chose my team in 77 at the ripe age of 5, I didn't even know about the accomplishment. It was 2 years later that one of my uncles, who was a dieheard dolphins fan, showed me every game from the '72 team that I started to realize just how special of a team I had chosen.

That's a really good point,I bet DM feels in a way he's very much apart of the reason the 72' team is still the only perfect team in the NFL.

Saban4prez said:
we honestly do have bragging rights for probably the rest of history as we know it because of the undefeated season. Its hard to say that anyone would trade that season for marino to have a ring. Even marino himself would probably vote for the undefeated season. it meant something to him too. as i believe in 85 the bears only lost one game. to the marino led dolphins on monday night. It was a huge win that probably saved the undefeated season from being as important as it is today.

I'd have to say if marino was an archie manning type guy, who could have been an amazing QB but was stuck on some down right terrible teams, i would vote for him to get a ring. But marino atleast played in a super bowl. Its just, his timing couldn't have been worse. no one was going to beat that niners team in the super bowl. However, marino went on to do grea things, and there isn;t a true football fan alive who doesn;t know his name. I'd say he did everything he could do. and hes done a lot for the game of football. But the 1972 season is a story to be told forever.

PHINATIC13 said:
That's a really good point,I bet DM feels in a way he's very much apart of the reason the 72' team is still the only perfect team in the NFL.

I would hope so, he just about single handedly saved that record by tearing apart a 1985 Bears' defense that no one could figure out. I would say he had a strong hand in preserving that record, :yes:. ;)

Back
Top Bottom