Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring?

Which would you rather have

• A Marino Super Bowl Win

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • The 1972 Perfect Season

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters
Superself said:
Totally agree!!

For those who would give up the perfect season just to see Marino win a SB, how selfish can you be? :fire:
Marino accomplished a lot already and dammit he is going to the HOF--without a ring!
You would destroy a TEAM LEGACY just to see one guy win a ring??
Again, its just plain selfish.
Marino's chamipionship ring < Perfect season no matter how you look at it.

If you were too young to witness it, there are things called books and videos of the entire event....I am sure that NFL Films has a thorough documentary on the Perfect Season. As a fan, you owe it to yourself to witness it.

Whats the point in getting all steamed over what our opinion is. What are you talking about "Destroying Team Legacy"? Its football dude. I think people need a little more perspective in their lives.

TheMageGandalf said:
What point?

That 1972 is great and will always be remembered?

AND?

So will so will the greatest QB's in the NFL who won at least one RING!

Again, if it was Mark Rypien...SO?

He's not in the spotlight like Marino was.

Yes, he can throw a football but in the end, people define greatness by who wins championships.

Barry Sanders was great...but the greatest? NO. Why? NO RING.

One ring wouldn't make a difference. If Dan had 3 or 4 rings, there'd be no question about it. One ring would mean about the same as no rings.

TheMageGandalf said:
What point?

AND?

Yes, he can throw a football but in the end, people define greatness by who wins championships.

That the perception of who is the "greatest quarterback" (I see you didn't include Elway or Favre, who the media was inclined to include not too long ago), based on a superbowl win, is subjective, and changes with the passing of time and media push. 17-0 can never be changed, or debated. I can't believe I'm having to explain this to a Dolphin fan.

TheMageGandalf said:
What point?

AND?

Barry was the greatest
Dan was the greatest

But they both deserve rings!

My beautiful thread got semi-hijacked over the best QB of all time debate! It's ok though, it is pertinent to the subject.

No I wouldn't. I probably wouldn't be a fan if not for the perfect season. Miami beating the Bears to secure their spot is the reason I am a fan today.

Agua said:
That the perception of who is the "greatest quarterback" (I see you didn't include Elway or Favre, who the media was inclined to include not too long ago), based on a superbowl win, is subjective, and changes with the passing of time and media push. 17-0 can never be changed, or debated. I can't believe I'm having to explain this to a Dolphin fan.

I did include them a few posts back. Not in any specific order: Montana, Elway, Farve, Johnny Unitas, most people then would consider inserting Dan unless they bring up a few others...

My most recent argument was about Tom Brady :lol:

No need to explain Agua. I know what your saying. But I am being devil's advocate here and again, although 17-0 is the greatest record ever, it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

I remember the article which had Coach Shula being pissed about the 17-0 team supposedly losing to the Steelers team.

But many people believe it and I have heard that the 1985 Bears were better as well.

"They lost to the Fins that year", I'll say....they shoot back "true...but then again the 1972 Fins didnt face Dan Marino or else they'd have lost too"...or would they? Interesting matchup to say the least...but thats another subject altogether.

spydertl79 said:
Barry was the greatest
Dan was the greatest

But they both deserve rings!

Amen to that brother!

Edit: Although J. Brown was a hell of a back you can't forget about him...

too bad when Hollywood called he answered and said "B-movies here I come!"

To take away a ring from 40 people to give it to one person is kinda selfish, plus there were hall of famers on that team as well. This is regardless of the undefeated season.

TheMageGandalf said:
I remember the article which had Coach Shula being pissed about the 17-0 team supposedly losing to the Steelers team.

But many people believe it and I have heard that the 1985 Bears were better as well.

But that's a different question, and by virtue of 17-0, we're always going to be amongst the responses to that question as well. However, any variant of the question, "has anyone ever gone undefeated" is going to include Miami, and as of presently, it's the only response that can be given and has been the only response that can be given for 33 years. Bart Starr?

GRYPHONK said:
The only thing that keeps some from saying he was the greatest of all time is his lack of a SB win.

People to this day still question the 72 Phins. I am not one of them, but they say it was a shorter season etc.....

Some don't even believe they were the best team ever lol!!!

However, if Marino had won one ring then nobody could ever question his heart, his statistics or his ring.

Would that have made him the best? That is still a relative question, but a huge consensus would flop and say he was the best.

That is the only reason it is tough for me.

Stbbornly I would choose a ring for Marino. That way I wouldn't have to hear so many people say "Yeah, but he still never won a ring"

I don't necessarily believe that they were the best team EVER, but they definitley accomplished the best record for a team ... EVER!

bryan allen said:
I dont know about the 72-73 team going on to win more SBs. The season after SB VIII the team was still intact because the players that went to the WFL (Csonka, Kiick Warfield) never left until after the SB IX season. The team was intact for the Stabler playoff game.

Farve has a really good shot at Dans all time records, if he dont get em Peyton is the next likely QB

Zonk was playing hurt most of the year, as was Morris, and Warfield. That said, the team still finished 11-3, and were winning the Radiers game until the last second heroics of a stumbling Kenny Stabler. They IMO would have been a much tougher team for the Steelers to beat, than the Raiders.

Injuries are surely part of the game, so is a little luck, but I still believe they were the best team in 74.

TheMageGandalf said:
What point?

AND?

Dan Marino's name will always, and I mean always be mentioned as one of the greatest Qb's of all time. The fact that he had no rings cannot change what he accomplished. You ask anyone of the Qb's (Elway, Boomer, Montana, ect.) and everyone of them will acknowledge Dan as the best pure passer EVER.

Anyone that would switch just so Dan got his ring, means they place one player over the Logo.

I place the players second. For instance, if Marino was on any other team (after his 17 great seasons here), and they played the Dolphins, he would be the enemy. I would not care about one of his records. All I would want, is that he be sacked 50 times, and he threw nothing but Int's.

It's all about the MD baby.......

d-day said:
this is selfish but i don't remeber the undefeated season - so i go with dan because i could have been apart of it - if you had the chance to look at old raquel welch pictures or hook up with brooke burke which would you choose? yeah raquel was perfect but...

I'll take BOTH :lol:

clear.gif
welchrb-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom