Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring?

Which would you rather have

• A Marino Super Bowl Win

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • The 1972 Perfect Season

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters
TheMageGandalf said:
No one's saying the undefeated season wasn't special.

It is and always will be. It's what REALLY happened and it's part of our history and what makes us unique.

BUT, to say Dan winning one would be a "run of the mill" Superbowl isn't right.

It wouldve been the greatest achievement of his career. It's what everyone strives for.

Maybe nowadays it's run of the mill since free agency or whatnot can make you a contender one year and a loser the next.

But back in the day of Plan B and whatnot, Winning one wouldve been great.
"It wouldve been the greatest achievement of his career."

Huh?? How? A superbowl win would not have been the greatest achievement. Breaking NFL record books are considered great achievements and are the reasons why he is going to the HOF.

As I previously stated, The Perfect season is a legacy. It gets talked about every year up until the last lossless team is beaten. Its a friggin tradition which you as a Miami fan, whether young or old, should be proud of.
Everytime I get a chance to see NFL Films' documentary on that season, I watch it and it makes me feel proud to be a fan.

my favorite game as a dolphins fan is when the dolphins beat chicago. just totally destroyed them to perserve the 72 season. that being said, if the 72 lost 1 game and still won the whole thing i would probably go w/ the dan marino superbowl ring. i was crushed so many times watching us lose playoff games in 80's and 90's. it would have been nice to actually see a superbowl win. the 72 team would still have 2 superbowl wins and a nice nieche in nfl history. not quite as large as being undefeated but still acknowledged as a great team. perfection is overrated anyways. winning the final game is all that matters. if the 72 team doesn't win the superbowl then i would have to say no to dan. too bad both things could have happened. i know i have had some bad posts against dan but i really would have loved to have seen him get a ring. but most importantly i would have loved to see the dolphins celebrate a championship. i would have loved to see o.j. catch the winning touchdown w/ 2 minutes left in the superbowl. i would have loved to see shula win superbowls in 2 different eras. i would have loved to see troy vincent get an interception and john offerdahl get a sack.

Id say the undefeated team, we are the only professional sports team that can say that, and it just adds a special aura to the Dolphins.

Every year a QB earns a superbowl ring. The undefeated season will probably never be matched

I would take Marino so that we could have won a SB in my lifetime

Superself said:
"It wouldve been the greatest achievement of his career."

Huh?? How? A superbowl win would not have been the greatest achievement. Breaking NFL record books are considered great achievements and are the reasons why he is going to the HOF.

As I previously stated, The Perfect season is a legacy. It gets talked about every year up until the last lossless team is beaten. Its a friggin tradition which you as a Miami fan, whether young or old, should be proud of.
Everytime I get a chance to see NFL Films' documentary on that season, I watch it and it makes me feel proud to be a fan.

Who said I wasn't proud of it???

As far as Dan goes, they play the game TO WIN SUPERBOWLS not to get STATS.

Dan himself has said that he never cared so much for the stats, he wanted A RING.

Oh yeah, he'll take the records just like Fran did. But in the end people will always say he has no ring.

He's in the HOF because of his Stats, just like a bunch of other guys. He'll be considered one of the greats but certainly not THE greatest.

Yes, it's a TEAM sport. But fans of other teams and especially the media won't ever call him the greatest because he doesnt have a ring.

Yes, it's sad and I dont agree with it, but thats the way it is.

Would at least ONE ring have changed that perception, IMO yes.

NOT EVERYONE's but most.

Do you think people say "hey, TD was with Elway thats why Elways got 2!"

NO. They say Elway is one of the top three best ever.

BlueFin said:
But there is still only one perfect team.

Exactly.

I AM proud of the 1972 team.

BUT, that said. It pisses me off 'til no end having discussions with other teams fans about the NO RING situation.

Like I said before though, it's not just the fans it's the media as well. Whether it be Farve, Elway, Johnny U., I wont even get into the Montana issue...

TheMageGandalf said:
Yes, it's a TEAM sport. But fans of other teams and especially the media won't ever call him the greatest because he doesnt have a ring.

SO ... WHAT? How long do you think that public adoration would last? 1 year? 3 years? 7 years? Public perception is as durable a thing as a whispy cloud. 17-0 is YOURS, as a Dolphin fan, whether you experienced it or not. It's not subject to the whim of the media or the soft-headedness of fans.

It's close because of the age difference in the fan base. Truth be told football is a team sport and no team can claim a 0 lose season. Marino would need more than 1 ring to get the props that he is due. I am sure he would trade almost all if not all of the records for a SB ring but then he would just be another QB that won the SB and would have been forgotten by now.

This is going out to all those fans who want danny to have a ring for the simple reason that they can finally say he's the best without an argument.....

GET OVER IT!!

Who cares what other people think about Marino?? He's a HOF QB and arguably the best who has ever laced 'em up. Anybody who thinks any less of him because he never had the team to win a SB knows nothing about football, and anybody who would think more of him if he had a ring, knows about the same.

Agua said:
SO ... WHAT? How long do you think that public adoration would last? 1 year? 3 years? 7 years? Public perception is as durable a thing as a whispy cloud. 17-0 is YOURS, as a Dolphin fan, whether you experienced it or not. It's not subject to the whim of the media or the soft-headedness of fans.

Adoration for proclaming that Dan's the greatest?

Just about everyone says Montana is the greatest and it's been quite awhile since he's graced the field with his presence.

Not to mention Johnny Unitas whom I have seen rated better than Marino on a number of occasions....and it's been a little more than a few years for him to.

So, I would have to disagree with Marino hoopla fading out after a few years.

undefeated season. I like hearing the cork pop every year when the last undefeated team loses.

Agua said:
You just proved my point.

What point?

That 1972 is great and will always be remembered?

AND?

So will so will the greatest QB's in the NFL who won at least one RING!

Again, if it was Mark Rypien...SO?

He's not in the spotlight like Marino was.

Yes, he can throw a football but in the end, people define greatness by who wins championships.

Barry Sanders was great...but the greatest? NO. Why? NO RING.

Back
Top Bottom