Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll:Would you give up 1972 for a Marino Ring?

Which would you rather have

• A Marino Super Bowl Win

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • The 1972 Perfect Season

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters
OK, I decided- I would do it because I'm not old enough to remember 72 and if Marino had won a Super Bowl then nobody could question him as the best QB in NFL history besides lack of mobility (which he made up for with a Lightning release.)

spydertl79 said:
This is an interesting question, if you were given a choice of keeping the 1972 undefeated season or giving Dan Marino a Super Bowl worthy team, what would you choose? I can't decide myself.:confused:

You must be joking? Anybody who would give up the perfect season for a Marino ring has to be a Marino fan over being a Dolphin fan.

Winning a Superbowl is a big accomplishment, but the perfect season is one of a kind, never equaled in NFL history.

I suppose I can somewhat understand some of the younger fans who have no concept of what that 1972 team accomplished voting that way, but as someone who witnessed 1972.......this is a silly question.

inFINSible said:
Screw Marino....he had a chance to get a ring.

The perfect season is one of this sports greatest accomplishments, one Marino SB win pales in comparison.

Thank you! "Pales in comparison" is the right way to describe it.

BlueFin said:
You must be joking? Anybody who would give up the perfect season for a Marino ring has to be a Marino fan over being a Dolphin fan.

Winning a Superbowl is a big accomplishment, but the perfect season is one of a kind, never equaled in NFL history.

I suppose I can somewhat understand some of the younger fans who have no concept of what that 1972 team accomplished voting that way, but as someone who witnessed 1972.......this is a silly question.
Marino is the reason I am a Dolphins fan but I am still a Dolphins fan. The 1972 team did something very special, but they did it almost 40 years ago.

GRYPHONK said:
The only thing that keeps some from saying he was the greatest of all time is his lack of a SB win.

People to this day still question the 72 Phins. I am not one of them, but they say it was a shorter season etc.....

Some don't even believe they were the best team ever lol!!!

However, if Marino had won one ring then nobody could ever question his heart, his statistics or his ring.

Would that have made him the best? That is still a relative question, but a huge consensus would flop and say he was the best.

That is the only reason it is tough for me.

Stbbornly I would choose a ring for Marino. That way I wouldn't have to hear so many people say "Yeah, but he still never won a ring"

Your wrong, if Marino had one you'd be hearing that Montana has 4, that Elway has 2.

No team in history can knock the 1972 Dolphins, they went undefeated and nobody else ever did it.....in 80 something years.

NCDolphan said:
Very Tough, But I watched all of Marino's 17 years and was too young for 72'. I may have to go with The Great One getting his ring, but obviously not downplaying 72' and their perfection. Just a personal choice.

I have to agree here.

Personally, I think it would shut up a lot of critics of Dan as well since they can no longer say "but he doesn't have a ring".

So, although the '72 season was spectacular and hasn't been matched since, I'd trade it to see Dan raising that Lombardi getting, showered in champagne, knowing that year wasn't a great year for just records but that he and his team were Champions.

spydertl79 said:
Marino is the reason I am a Dolphins fan but I am still a Dolphins fan. The 1972 team did something very special, but they did it almost 40 years ago.

Then you place Marino over the team.

They did it 33 years ago, Marino had his best season 21 years ago, who cares? Do you want somebody saying in 12 years that Marino's 1984 season could be sacrificed because it was 33 years ago?

Team history does and should matter to any REAL Dolphin fan.

No one with any sense would give up the most special season in NFL team history so that their favorite player could get a Ring that thousands of other players have.

mixmaster_matt said:
I would definitely never get rid of the 72 Phins record. It is a record that has held strong, no team has ever gone a complete season and win the championship than the 72 phins. You have to give credit to the bears in the season that they won out the season but lost in the superbowl. But I really don't think that any any team is going to go undefeated and win the superbowl in the modern day football. Too much spread out talent, and too many games to win.

yo mixmaster, you're mixed up, WE are the ones who gave them their only defeat that year.:cooldude:

Megatron said:
A Superbowl doesn't make the player, just look at Mark Rypien.

True, Megatron true...

BUT when you ask people other than Dolphins fans who the top 3 QB's are of all-time are, the top three hardly ever include Dan. The ones they do mention all have one thing in common though.

When you ask why, you'll always get the same answer.

A Superbowl might not define guys like Rypien and Dilfer...but for someone of Dan's magnitude it unfortunately does as that's what seems to skew most people's perception of what those top three or even five sometimes must have accomplished one way or another.

BlueFin said:
Then you place Marino over the team.

They did it 33 years ago, Marino had his best season 21 years ago, who cares? Do you want somebody saying in 12 years that Marino's 1984 season could be sacrificed because it was 33 years ago?

Team history does and should matter to any REAL Dolphin fan.

No one with any sense would give up the most special season in NFL team history so that their favorite player could get a Ring that thousands of other players have.
The team would be winning the super bowl too.

This is a tough one. I'm going to have to go with the '72 perfect season. Dan doesn't need a ring to know he was great, his play speaks for itself. That perfect season is something I doubt will ever be duplicated and is a big contributor to why the Dolphins are considered one of the league's proudest and best of all time.

TheMageGandalf said:
True, Megatron true...

BUT when you ask people other than Dolphins fans who the top 3 QB's are of all-time are, the top three hardly ever include Dan. The ones they do mention all have one thing in common though.

When you ask why, you'll always get the same answer.

A Superbowl might not define guys like Rypien and Dilfer...but for someone of Dan's magnitude it unfortunately does as that's what seems to skew most people's perception of what those top three or even five sometimes must have accomplished one way or another.

Nope, they'd just say he only has one, people that want to knock Marino would still knock him, lack of team accomplishments do not diminish the greatness of an individual player.

Championships are won by teams, not one individual.

Anyone who doesn't think Marino would have a handful of rings had he been with the Niners of the eighties doesn't know squat about football.

Do you really think Joe Montana would have any rings if he had been on the Dolphin teams Dan was? No.

spydertl79 said:
The team would be winning the super bowl too.

So what? It would just be another Superbowl win...nothing extraordinary.

What the 1972 team did has never been equaled in 80 something years, and it may stand for another 100 years.

A Marino ring, while it would be great, just simply is nowhere near as important in historical terms.

BlueFin said:
So what? It would just be another Superbowl win...nothing extraordinary.

What the 1972 team did has never been equaled in 80 something years, and it may stand for another 100 years.

A Marino ring, while it would be great, just simply is nowhere near as important in historical terms.
I disagree, with a ring Marino would be unchallenged as the greatest QB of all time. That has a lot of historical significance to a franchise that he played his entire 17 year career with.

Back
Top Bottom