Poor Tua... Rich Dolphins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poor Tua... Rich Dolphins

What about this Burrow kid? Seems like a winner to me.

I’m a fan of burrow but I think he just does it in different ways. I don’t get too caught up on arm strength but w/ him I am concerned several guys here have posted how he struggles outside the numbers. Think it was j off who made a good point about how many throws did burrow make in that bama game that most college QBs can’t make?

he’s a smart cerebral QB w/ the talent to succeed. He’ll likely find success in the NFL imo. I don’t think he’s a game changing talent, comparably to Tua.

this won’t be popular, but I said it about a month ago. I think Gardner minshew is an excellent comp for joe burrow. Higher ceiling

oddly enough I think Nick foles is a good ceiling comparison for joe burrow as well. If the arm strength doesn’t limit him

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say he’s fragile, yeah he’s had some injury issues, but that hip injury was just bad luck. From the looks of it his knee hit the ground first then the force of the 2 LB contributed to the dislocation and fracture. Could happened to any player who lands awkward like that.

People also forgot the fact that his FACE was driven into the ground which caused his broken nose...unbelievable that he even got up off the ground...

Enlighten us.

What do the doctors mean when they say “full recovery?”

Walking, able to get in and out of chairs without help, etc. The stuff that normal people do for most of their lives. Doesn't mean anything about possible follow up issues like arthritis, being pain free, or if the structure will be as strong and stable as before.

But here we're talking about an elite athlete who has to be able to move without hesitation which means not only be healed, not only be able to deal with whatever lingering pain issues, but he has to also trust his body can take another hit from even bigger, faster, angrier guys that he's been getting beaten up by for the last 2 years. He may think he's ok -- but we've all seen QBs who hear footsteps after a big hit/injury.

Another thing to consider is this injury might impact his throwing motion -- it's going to be a while before he can throw again. It's going to be an even longer while before he'll be able to workout like he'll have to in order to play again. If he has any pain or weakness, something no surgeon can tell coming out of the surgery, who knows how it will impact his throwing platform and motion. It's why when we passed on Bree's my brother, an ortho surgeon, told me we picked the wrong guy .

All this doesn't mean he's done. But it does mean he's a huge draft and recurrent injury risk at this point in time.

After reading all of the posts about the upcoming qb's, I realize I'm the only one who's enamored with Herbert. I think he's the third best qb in this draft. Any way it shakes out, it would seem OL, DL, should be the first pick depending on the BPA. A QB next. Fromm is not a bad consolation prize. You just have to put the pieces around him and don't expect him to throw 35 times a game. I want a qb that can throw it 20 or 40. Herbert is that guy to me.

PSA: I'm not including Tua only because of the unknown.

So.

Just to clarify, you’re either:

1) Disagreeing with medical professionals

Or

2) Debating what “full recovery” means.

I’m hoping that it’s the second, which is still odd. If that isn’t the case, people hoping for him to play at a high level aren’t the ones who need to wake up. The ones who think it would be miraculous are.

Full recovery has nothing to do with what may happened when he gets mauled on the field over and over again. Can the medical experts give me Vegas type odds on him aggravating the injury? Then I'll be interested in what "medical professionals" have to say.

Medical professionals told us Culpepper's injury was less of a risk.

Medical professionals told my family my grandmother had maybe 1 and a half to 2 years left. She was 85. My grandmother passed away at the age of 90.

Even then, one doesn't dismiss an expert's opinion. I'm not advocating that. I'm simply saying, you broke your hip badly. You made a full recovery. How is said recovery going to take to greater punishment in the NFL?

All Tua loyalist have blinders on. It's not the recovery.

It's.How.Is.He.Going.To.Hold.Up.When.Behemoths.Get.Their.Hands.On.Him? Football is a risk when playing at full health.

Some want to use a 1st round pick on a full recovery that has yet to happen, on a team that hasn't fielded a solid offensive line since God knows when, in a game that will become faster and stronger for a rookie that comes with severe wear and tear?

Come on, man. That is absolutely ludicrous.

Has any football player ever come back to play football from this type of injury?

If the answer is no, then Tua is done.

I believe Jason Allen (former #1 pick dolphins@ S/CB) dislocated his hip his junior year ad returned for his senior year @ Tennessee. BUT he fell to #16 overall when most considered him much much (top5) higher had that injury not occurred. The phins even made him sign an injury waiver/amendments regarding that hip in his contract.

Can he come back, perhaps, but a QB get tackled so often (DB's do not) the load of multiple 280+lb players dragging and landing on TUA should be a MASSIVE concern. Furthermore, TUA is a SMALL QB, there are reasons why the prototypical QB is 6-4+ 230lbs+.

If you want to take flyer....well it might work, BUT I personally think he falls to the last part of round 1, or all the way into round 2 at this point.

Too many people seem to have such a tight grasp on their dream that they can't let it go and will spin every shred of hope in to some logical scenario. Guy just got off the surgery bed and they're already saying he'll be fine and you draft him anyway. Without even giving a single moment of pause to see how his recovery goes.

Your dream draft pick may not cone back from this so you might want to prepare yourself and be open to the team going after someone without so many red flags and don't keep trying to fool yourself into believing those flags don't exist.

Walking, able to get in and out of chairs without help, etc. The stuff that normal people do for most of their lives. Doesn't mean anything about possible follow up issues like arthritis, being pain free, or if the structure will be as strong and stable as before.

But here we're talking about an elite athlete who has to be able to move without hesitation which means not only be healed, not only be able to deal with whatever lingering pain issues, but he has to also trust his body can take another hit from even bigger, faster, angrier guys that he's been getting beaten up by for the last 2 years. He may think he's ok -- but we've all seen QBs who hear footsteps after a big hit/injury.

Another thing to consider is this injury might impact his throwing motion -- it's going to be a while before he can throw again. It's going to be an even longer while before he'll be able to workout like he'll have to in order to play again. If he has any pain or weakness, something no surgeon can tell coming out of the surgery, who knows how it will impact his throwing platform and motion. It's why when we passed on Bree's my brother, an ortho surgeon, told me we picked the wrong guy .

All this doesn't mean he's done. But it does mean he's a huge draft and recurrent injury risk at this point in time.

The first paragraph of your post is where the debate is, then. I don’t believe that’s what is meant by “full recovery.” I’m fairly certain if a doctor, after operating on a top-tier athlete who could play QB like one millionth of one percent of people on the planet, thought “oh, good, he’ll be able to get in and out of a chair again,” he’d classify that as a full recovery.

Full recovery has nothing to do with what may happened when he gets mauled on the field over and over again. Can the medical experts give me Vegas type odds on him aggravating the injury? Then I'll be interested in what "medical professionals" have to say.

Medical professionals told us Culpepper's injury was less of a risk.

Medical professionals told my family my grandmother had maybe 1 and a half to 2 years left. She was 85. My grandmother passed away at the age of 90.

Even then, one doesn't dismiss an expert's opinion. I'm not advocating that. I'm simply saying, you broke your hip badly. You made a full recovery. How is said recovery going to take to greater punishment in the NFL?

All Tua loyalist have blinders on. It's not the recovery.

It's.How.Is.He.Going.To.Hold.Up.When.Behemoths.Get.Their.Hands.On.Him? Football is a risk when playing at full health.

Some want to use a 1st round pick on a full recovery that has yet to happen, on a team that hasn't fielded a solid offensive line since God knows when, in a game that will become faster and stronger for a rookie that comes with severe wear and tear?

Come on, man. That is absolutely ludicrous.

We’re talking about two different things at this point. Want to tell me that Tua shouldn’t be taken in the first round because he’s too fragile? That’s a different conversation.

What I’m referencing here is the prognosis on and recovery from this specific injury. It’s as though people are completely discounting what the people who actually OPERATED ON HIM AND WILL BE INVOLVED IN HIS REHAB are saying.

“He should be ready to throw by the combine” we’re told. Not according to message board experts; they say there’s no way. “This isn’t like Bo Jackson’s injury” we’re told. Nope. Message board experts know better.

It just baffles me that people who are listening to the actual information are being labeled as blind loyalists. Have medical experts been wrong? Of course. They have been wrong about Cuplepper, and Brees. They were also wrong about Frank Gore and Jaylon Smith.

But I’m gonna trust the doctors with first-hand knowledge over the guy whose uncle’s best friend’s garbageman knows some guy named Chet who has a very smart orthopedist every single time.

After reading all of the posts about the upcoming qb's, I realize I'm the only one who's enamored with Herbert. I think he's the third best qb in this draft. Any way it shakes out, it would seem OL, DL, should be the first pick depending on the BPA. A QB next. Fromm is not a bad consolation prize. You just have to put the pieces around him and don't expect him to throw 35 times a game. I want a qb that can throw it 20 or 40. Herbert is that guy to me.

PSA: I'm not including Tua only because of the unknown.

I hear ya; I’m just not as sold on Herbert as some. I think that the best analogy is this; Herbert has a higher ceiling than Fromm, but a much lower floor.

For all of the speculation we all do, it’s hard to know what the Fins plans are going to be. If they want to stick to their current mantra and offensive scheme, Fromm might be their target in April. He’s very accurate, makes very good pre-snap reads, and makes good decisions.

We’re talking about two different things at this point. Want to tell me that Tua shouldn’t be taken in the first round because he’s too fragile? That’s a different conversation.

What I’m referencing here is the prognosis on and recovery from this specific injury. It’s as though people are completely discounting what the people who actually OPERATED ON HIM AND WILL BE INVOLVED IN HIS REHAB are saying.

“He should be ready to throw by the combine” we’re told. Not according to message board experts; they say there’s no way. “This isn’t like Bo Jackson’s injury” we’re told. Nope. Message board experts know better.

It just baffles me that people who are listening to the actual information are being labeled as blind loyalists. Have medical experts been wrong? Of course. They have been wrong about Cuplepper, and Brees. They were also wrong about Frank Gore and Jaylon Smith.

But I’m gonna trust the doctors with first-hand knowledge over the guy whose uncle’s best friend’s garbageman knows some guy named Chet who has a very smart orthopedist every single time.

There will always be people who cling to worst-case scenarios and act as though they're the only rational people in the room.

Back
Top Bottom