Poor Tua... Rich Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poor Tua... Rich Dolphins

I recently had a bad injury (got run over by a drunk driver, plus I work at a hospital) so I might have a little more knowledge than average in this area.

In a nutshell it comes down to blood flow (AVN) and nerve damage. The sciatic nerve is most commonly affected. Nerve damage will be known by combine time but AVN could set in later. Arthritis is possible down the road. Rough numbers, AVN 20+% chance and sciatic about 10%. So the odds are in his favor. Plus he went to the best place for surgery and is in one of the best places for rehab. That improves his outlook.

If he checks out okay at combine, and if the team doesn't consider his past injury history an issue, I'd say he should be on the "big board" from the middle of the first round on.

For those that dreamed of Young and Tua this injury makes it possible. Why not ideal, we could roll with Rosen/Fitz, build the team, and give Tua 1 1/2 years to fully recover. It is a risk worth talking about.

Depending on what info comes out between now and the draft, I’d take him with our first pick. I highly doubt he would be available with the Steelers pick. Tua can run but he’s not strictly a “running qb”. He has elite arm talent. Unless we, as an organization, decide somebody else is our guy, we should take a chance and draft the best prospect even if he sits out a year. We have so many picks and they are all a gamble so why not gamble on the best qb prospect to come out in years?

I recently had a bad injury (got run over by a drunk driver, plus I work at a hospital) so I might have a little more knowledge than average in this area.

In a nutshell it comes down to blood flow (AVN) and nerve damage. The sciatic nerve is most commonly affected. Nerve damage will be known by combine time but AVN could set in later. Arthritis is possible down the road. Rough numbers, AVN 20+% chance and sciatic about 10%. So the odds are in his favor. Plus he went to the best place for surgery and is in one of the best places for rehab. That improves his outlook.

If he checks out okay at combine, and if the team doesn't consider his past injury history an issue, I'd say he should be on the "big board" from the middle of the first round on.

For those that dreamed of Young and Tua this injury makes it possible. Why not ideal, we could roll with Rosen/Fitz, build the team, and give Tua 1 1/2 years to fully recover. It is a risk worth talking about.
If they came out of that draft with Young AND Tua, I’d be super happy. But I wouldn’t put it past Grier to **** things up.

I can tell you first hand, the doctors will say full recovery, but, there will be residual effects post surgery. No one can say, how well Tua will handle, the residuals. They will make or break how well he returns to his old self. Every individual is different in how they handle post op pain, stiffness, numbness, any other discomfort or medical conditions, related to the injured area. He's entering into unknown territory.

It’s definitely in his benefit that he is a very good physical shape and motivated. Motivation is key. I can’t tell you how many patients that I see who are scared to move because of pain and then I am nonstop putting in PT orders. Tua, he isn’t like that and will push through. I do hope he plays again.

If Tua is worth a pick in the middle of the 1st round then he is still worth our very first pick imo. More than likely we are picking 3rd or 4th and without this injury we would not have a shot. Talent like that you roll the dice then try and go find a offensive line to bubble wrap the guy in.

Just a simple observation. An extreme amount of red flags. Sometimes unfortunately for Tua you have to recognize them. These are huge red flags. To begin with he was still a player who made you question him prior to minor and major injury. Struggles against top shelf competition. played with weapons. Defense. Running Backs. Wide outs. Coaching. Who is he? A good college Qb provided many assets. USC qbs come to mind? At best a serviceable NFL Qb? Somebody that has a body that can't hold up? Or a long term game changer? At this point we have tough choices. But worst case scenario is taking best available or continuing the stock pile of picks. going to be interesting.

Draft 2 QBs in the first round? Heard a ton of wild theories but that's pretty crazy. Drafting Tua is way too risky with our top5 1st first rounder. He may never play again, he may recover after a "full" year of rehab (so he's not going to play much/at all next season no matter what). At that point just draft a 2020 QB if you're still in need.

He may be fine, he may never play well again. I can point to more examples of injuries ruining careers than not.
Dallas did it w Aikman and Walsh - check it out:

“The Dallas Cowboys surprised observers by selecting Walsh with the second overall pick in the NFL Supplemental Draft,[2] even though they had already selected Troy Aikman number one overall in the 1989 NFL Draft and had to surrender by rule an equivalent pick in the 1990 NFL Draft, which would turn out to be the number one overall selection.[3] Walsh started five games as a rookie, while Aikman recovered from a broken finger. He recorded Dallas' only win of the season, a 13–3 victory over the rival Washington Redskins). Against the Kansas City Chiefs, he completed 23 out of 36 passes for 294 yards and one touchdown. He recorded 1,371 yards and 5 touchdowns, while working with an inexperienced supporting cast.
Head coach Jimmy Johnson who was also his coach in Miami, reportedly favored him as the starter,[4] but Walsh was never able to move out of Aikman's shadow and was traded to the New Orleans Saints three games into the 1990 season, in exchange for a first, second and third round draft picks.[5] With the third draft choice the Cowboys selected (#70-Erik Williams), the other two picks (#14-Leonard Russell and #52-Patrick Rowe) were traded to the New England Patriots as a package to move up to the number one overall draft choice to select Russell Maryland.”

from Wikipedia.com / Steve Walsh football.

The thing that’s making it tough for me to get back on the tua train is this..

he’s obviously injury prone. I don’t wanna believe it, I don’t wanna acknowledge it, he’s the only QB in this draft class I think is truly worth a damn. But he’s injury prone and I think almost everyone is just glossing over that.

everyone knows we need a qb. It was my, and many others opinions that tua is the cream of the crop and we had a shot at him. But now there’s very significant risk associated w/ him and I think deep down everyone knows that it’s a swan dive to QB2 in this class. It was tua and a bunch of “why is this the year I have to be picking a qb”. Everyone knows we need to take one but no one wants to move off tua bc they know the next picking isn’t so ripe. So what’s easier? Hope and pray like hell tua isn’t injury derailed when I don’t know how you can look at his injury history and not be worried about the frequency, areas of injury, and severity

the amount of lower body injuries is beyond alarming at this point

The thing that’s making it tough for me to get back on the tua train is this..

he’s obviously injury prone. I don’t wanna believe it, I don’t wanna acknowledge it, he’s the only QB in this draft class I think is truly worth a damn. But he’s injury prone and I think almost everyone is just glossing over that.

everyone knows we need a qb. It was my, and many others opinions that tua is the cream of the crop and we had a shot at him. But now there’s very significant risk associated w/ him and I think deep down everyone knows that it’s a swan dive to QB2 in this class. It was tua and a bunch of “why is this the year I have to be picking a qb”. Everyone knows we need to take one but no one wants to move off tua bc they know the next picking isn’t so ripe. So what’s easier? Hope and pray like hell tua isn’t injury derailed when I don’t know how you can look at his injury history and not be worried about the frequency, areas of injury, and severity

the amount of lower body injuries is beyond alarming at this point
What about this Burrow kid? Seems like a winner to me.

Back
Top Bottom