Portis and Greise | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Portis and Greise

XNOUGHT

Objective Pats fan ;)
Reaction score
This is getting a little homerish.

Portis is just as good as Ricky.

The Denver O-Line makes him better then Ricky.

Portis averaged 5.5 yards a carry, and didn't start till week 4.

Ricky had 4.6 yards a carry and started all season long.

Ricky will be taking a backseat if Mr. Portis can remain healthy this year.

Now you say, Greise will be an upgrade. No he wont, his pass catchers last year where much better then Miami's pass catchers. His O-Line was equal in pass-protection, the thing was, Greise was very predictable when he dropped back to pass. He would drop back X steps, and then move forward two steps. He would do this every time and Shanny benched him because he was unteachable and refused to change. Trust me I saw the games and even the announcers noticed it.

Greise had some of his worse games vs bad pass defenses(EX. Oakland). He became a turnover machine down the stretch(key interception vs the Jets in the 4th quarter), something Dolphin fans would absolutely hate.

All this with a superior pass catching core, better O-Line, and compareable RB. Heck, Shanny is a hundred times better then the Dave Wannestat who cant seem to get a 6-8 pro-bowl squad to the playoffs.

On top of that, Griese has a massive drinking problem, is a poor to average leader, blows key games, and has an inability to take over a game anymore and bail his team out.

You guys really dont want him. If Greise comes in, he will run the best QB on the roster out of town........Jay Fiedler.

If Greise goes sober, somehow turns into a leader(it could happen), and gets his technique and playing ability refined, then he could be a tremendous pickup. But that all rests on that Dave Wannestat is a better coach then Shannahan and could fix those problems, which WILL NOT happen unless Brett Farve becomes your QB coach.

I dont mean to piss anyone off, but I am just stating some facts. I love the passion of the Dolphin fans and just want to give you guys a different veiw on things.

Originally posted by XNOUGHT

Ricky will be taking a backseat if Mr. Portis can remain healthy this year.

Yes, same was said about uhh..

Davis
Anderson
Gary

:rolleyes:

OUCH!!!!! Well maybe his daddy can make him straighten up and fly right.

the bottom line is that griese is way way better than ray lucas. he has alot of experience as a starting QB. with ricky, any pressure is off griese to perform and wanny is not that ahole HC in denver, i can tell you that much. him defending that safety the way he did on the chambers hit was absolutely disgusting. not defending him, but the way he went about defending him. any idiot with a pair of eyes could see he lead with his helmet and hit his chin. last i looked at peyton manning, his maker paid a fine for a similar hit.

Re: Re: Portis and Greise

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Yes, same was said about uhh..

Davis
Anderson
Gary

:rolleyes:

We'll if we want to include injuries, then we might as well throw Ricky into the fire.

Out of a 4 year career, he was only healthy for one season.

Portis really has never had an injury history. The Denver RB thing is a curse if Portis goes down, but right now, if Mr. Portis stays healthy, he WILL pass Ricky for rushing numbers.

I don't know why Fin fan getting excited about Girese.I'm just happy with have a better backup but I don't see Griese as a long term solution at QB.(If he signs)

Originally posted by minus
I don't know why Fin fan getting excited about Girese.I'm just happy with have a better backup but I don't see Griese as a long term solution at QB.(If he signs)

I completely agree. The only reason people want Greise if for the sake of change.

Greise is a weak armed Jeff George.

Odonnel from the Titans would have been a much better fit.

However, it looks like its either gonna either be the Vikings or Phins who get the Greise master. Which is a huge mistake.......

I dont mean to piss anyone off, but I am just stating some facts. I love the passion of the Dolphin fans and just want to give you guys a different veiw on things.

Fact is Ricky's been doing it for 4 years, improving each year and last year every one knew he would run the ball and he still lead the league..Portis wasn't game planned for...and hasn't played a whole season...and even though he's a UM guy and I like UM, he isn't in Ricky's class yet..do it for 4 and then I'll consider him a great back.

Griese would be a good pickup as a backup qb. He was considered one of the best before his injury, and since then has been repeatedly blamed for any and all losses his team suffered. Here, he would back up Fiedler, and if Jay goes down, we can expect a competent qb to come in and we shouldn't miss a beat.

NEXT YEAR, if we have griese, there would be a decision to make. This year, there are no issues involved with signing this guy.

XNOUGHT, I can't belive you think Portis is going to rack up better numbers than Ricky. Portis is not an unknown anymore. The focus will be on him now. Let's see how he holds up.

PS Didn't ricky get almost 300 rushing yards against the Pats this year? Did you not see how difficult it is to stop him? If healthy, Ricky may be approaching 2000 this year.

I am a big fan of Portis but it should be noted that he missed three games due to a foot injury while at Miami.

I think it would be premature after one good season to say that Portis will pass Ricky next year or that he will ever equal the season that Ricky had last year. Portis has never carried the ball 300 times in a season in his entire career. Until he has been proven to have that sort of durability I will not pencil him in for 1800 yards.

Good post
However you ommitted one siginficant fact...Griese was in an absolute pressure cooker in Denver...He was the one supposed to fill Elway's shoes, to bring the Broncos back to the promise land...Pressure can do funny things to you and I think Griese just couldn't handle it...
If he were to sign a 1 year deal and come in as a back-up here in Miami I would be delighted.The pressure would be on J,ay's shoulders and from what i've seen he would respond very well..This could only make us better...2 goods quarterbacks battling it out...Also he is better than Ray Charles the turnover machine and definately has more upside than O'Donnell would...

Re: Re: Re: Portis and Greise

We'll if we want to include injuries, then we might as well throw Ricky into the fire.

Out of a 4 year career, he was only healthy for one season.

Portis really has never had an injury history. The Denver RB thing is a curse if Portis goes down, but right now, if Mr. Portis stays healthy, he WILL pass Ricky for rushing numbers.

Uhhh, where do you come up with him being healthy for only one year when he started 16 games for 2 years in a row? :confused:

If you don't believe me click here

Originally posted by wahwee

PS Didn't ricky get almost 300 rushing yards against the Pats this year?

:eek:

It was like 150..

I mean over both games. He got 105 in the 1st game, and 185 in the second game. For a grand total of 290 (ie almost 300). I guess I should have specified.

Back
Top Bottom