Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

What exactly is a realist? Someone who sees things as they are in their own reality? Basically just your opinion on how you see it? So are people being a realist when they call you a hater? I never understood the whole realist thing.
A realist sees the obvious . Tua entered the league with significant medical issues and red flags . He never completed a season in college without significant injury. He has never completed an nfl season without significant injury.

Do you believe it is realistic to believe is future will be any different ?

I don't think richardson will be in 3rd rd. I've seen projections of him being a mid 1st rounder because of his talent. Seems like he's raw, but he's viewed to have a high ceiling because of his size, athleticism, and arm strength
Every mock draft has Richardson in the 1st round even though he is project at best.

Our QB2 position will be very appealing to all FAs.. with Tuas Injury history. The talent & fire power on our offense on possibly taking over QB1 position.

There is no way Skyler will be QB2 next year, it's obvious he isn't ready. who knows maybe he never will. His processing is slow and the likelihood of QB2 playing a bit at some point is pretty great. We will get someone more capable to fill in imo.

A realist sees the obvious . Tua entered the league with significant medical issues and red flags . He never completed a season in college without significant injury. He has never completed an nfl season without significant injury.

Do you believe it is realistic to believe is future will be any different ?
Question, Mr Realist... is a thumb injury that caused him to miss a single game against one of the worst teams in the league considered a significant injury?

Just wondering, because we're all just trying to learn what reality is.

I think it depends on how we deal with other areas of need and how much we have (or rather, don’t have) to spend on a backup QB. I’m comfortable rolling with Skylar and I think he will improve.
but if we had the budget to sign Minshew, I would explore it.
Minshew wouldn't be bad atall...he could prolly move into a huge trailer with Zach Seiler! and I'm being sincere here. Doubt Phillys gonna let em go tho - lemme guess he's a FA?

Some people just don't grasp the whole cap stuff or just like to ignore it. If you pay close attention to the cap it gives you clues to the mindset of what Miami will/won't do.

#1. Starting last year they were committed to Tua being the starting QB. All the big deals are structured so that the lage cap hit years are the same Tua was still on his rookie deal. If he would havesucked last we had an out with 2 firsts and if Tua sucked Miami probably picks high (though we ended up losing that pick). Then to me they basically said we are moving forward at a minimum with Tua as the starter next year by trading a first plus another big non QB contract on Chubb.

#2. I believe the Skylar pick was also done as a backup QB. Skylar is not some raw development type QB. He is an overager that had a lot of college experience. I think the thought was he sits a year and replaces TB on the cheap after a year as QB2 as we are tight on money.

Now for next year we have really zero capital for a top QB (picks and money). There is really only maybe one top veteran as a possibility that is Brady, but he has looked washed up most the time this year. To me QB1 is Tua no ands ifs or buts about. Only option to have a chance at a SB run is a healthy Tua.

As far as QB2, I would probably just roll with ST and hope he improves enough. Me I am sick of being a team stuck in the 5th worst to 15 place (and that's what happens we you sign a guy like Carr). With Tua at least there is a chance at a SB, and f it if he is hurt a lot again might as well get the highest pick we can and draft a QB.

What I absolutely don't want to do if we move on from Tua some point, is draft mid RD QBs, trade for backup QBs or sign mid level vets. We basically have done that since Marino retired.
There’s literally no way that Skylar is the guy backing up an oft injured starter like Tua. He has shown no elite QB abilities that leads me to believe he’s anything but a practice squad guy. We need a proven backup for Tua. No way what happened this year can happen next year.

How do they do that this off-season? No picks, strapped cap. Need picks for Lamar and Rodgers. Brady is finally looking his age and that’s a one year plan at best. Carr takes pics and is he better than Tua? What are the options?
You're right, no pics but there are creative ways to get around the cap.
1. Go get Carr. He's durable and I think he'd kill it with Hill and Waddle

2. Get Brady and hope he's got one more good year left.

3. Get a backup hope he's good or hope tua can last a whole season.

All three are gambles

There’s literally no way that Skylar is the guy backing up an oft injured starter like Tua. He has shown no elite QB abilities that leads me to believe he’s anything but a practice squad guy. We need a proven backup for Tua. No way what happened this year can happen next year.

I dunno man

He was the QB who led our team to the most important win of the season week 18 to get us in the playoffs.

Additionally he led the team in 1 of the almost biggest upsets in playoff History.

People worry about his stats. I worry about winning.

For some reason the whole team played better, for the most part with Skylar.

He had more significance at QB this year then Jacoby Brissett last year or Teddy Bridgewater this year.

So elite abilities or not. I want a QB who can go into Buffalo, in a playoff game, as the biggest underdogs in recent history and NOT get blown out.

I'll stick with Skylar.

I dunno man

He was the QB who led our team to the most important win of the season week 18 to get us in the playoffs.

Additionally he led the team in 1 of the almost biggest upsets in playoff History.

People worry about his stats. I worry about winning.

For some reason the whole team played better, for the most part with Skylar.

He had more significance at QB this year then Jacoby Brissett last year or Teddy Bridgewater this year.

So elite abilities or not. I want a QB who can go into Buffalo, in a playoff game, as the biggest underdogs in recent history and NOT get blown out.

I'll stick with Skylar.
How many TDs did the Fins score against the Jets? ZERO.
The QBs from both teams sucked. They might as well never passed the football.
The Fins won because of a horse collar tackle on Waddle.
Thompson was pitiful.

Ya I don't think ST is a very good BU. But we are tight on money and no BU out there leads this team a run in the playoffs. Basically if Tua is out for a lot of games, we won't make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs and Tua is hurt for them, we'll we are not making a run.
Now if there ends up a very cheap vet BU sure. If not send what money have on the O side on OL/TE.

Back
Top Bottom