Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

Grappalo would make the most sense for clear reason.

One thing that's obvious to me is not every Qb can play in this kind of system.

You're right, no pics but there are creative ways to get around the cap.
1. Go get Carr. He's durable and I think he'd kill it with Hill and Waddle

2. Get Brady and hope he's got one more good year left.

3. Get a backup hope he's good or hope tua can last a whole season.

All three are gambles
1. F no to Carr. He will want to be overpaid. People overrate Miami overall O. There is a reason the O fell of the cliff when Tua is out. The OL still sucks (Tua covers them a lot in pass blocking) run blocking is hit miss. Our TE group sucks as well. Carr would also be a horrible fit, he locks on his guy and trys to wait till they are open. This O he would be worse then in LV who had talent around him as well, they had Adams, Renfrow who is good but Carr never threw to him when he played, Weller same thing when healthy never targeted. Also he had a RB who ran 1650 yards at 4.9 per and 53 catches for 400 yards. Hell Stidham put up the same numbers in that O. Carr is a one way ticket to football purgatory, good enough you don't draft in the top 10, but don't win in the playoffs.

2. Brady of like 2 years ago sure. Brady now not so much. He gave father time a hell of a race but I think it is finally over.

3. Has by far the biggest upside. Tua healthy has huge upside, he still hasn't hit his peak yet. I roll the dice at least next year. Healthy Tua give us a chance to make a playoff run. Ya there is a bigger risk with the injuries. But honestly no QB option other then Tua next year has a chance in a long playoff run. If we aren't going to be a real playoff contender, f it. If Tua gets hurt throw out ST and just lose games and pick a QB with are now higher pick next draft.

3. Has by far the biggest upside. Tua healthy has huge upside, he still hasn't hit his peak yet.

This is the thing that's crazy and exciting about what we saw this season. That was Tua playing his first season in this system with these coaching specifically maximizing on his skillset.

What are the possibilities if we can stablize the line more?
Actually find a defense that can provide more opportunities?

His availability will always be the limiting factor.

This is the thing that's crazy and exciting about what we saw this season. That was Tua playing his first season in this system with these coaching specifically maximizing on his skillset.

What are the possibilities if we can stablize the line more?
Actually find a defense that can provide more opportunities?

His availability will always be the limiting factor.
best thing they can do for Tua is have more balance on that offense and a real number one TE would be great, not to mention a better running game.

best thing they can do for Tua is have more balance on that offense and a real number one TE would be great, not to mention a better running game.

You're preaching to the crowd @Danny. All the passing is nice and fancy but a running game balance with integrating the TE would take this offense to another level.

It puts the offense in a can play in any environment and against any defensive scheme setup.

Notice once teams started clogging the middle of the passing lane we struggles. Why? We didn’t really establish other offensive options. No TE/No running game etc.

Last edited:
Personally as we all know we have a starting QB that is injury prone. If Grier gets a weak backup QB again I believe he needs to be fired. I would like to see a QB on the level of Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold or Taylor Hienicke as our back up. Skylar is not ready. With the weapons we have we need a good backup. Who do you guys think is a reasonable possibility for us next year? Who would you prefer that won't be going somewhere as a starter?

I don't know much about these QB's.

I would stay away from Darnold. I would like to look at Tannehill, if he becomes available and isn't too expensive. He did OK as a backup in Tennessee.

Trading for Trey Lance is so damn intriguing to me.. Even though I doubt our front office is willing to give up a 2nd round pick esp since they show so much commenmant to Tua next yr.

Need to figure out which Qb has the skillset to operate this unique system, and for cripes sake someone who can make a play with his legs.

Release quickness, accuracy and anticipation, at least that’s what I would do if GM
Has anyone asked McDaniel if there is a QB he would like to come in as Tua's backup?
If so, what did he say?

I have been beating that TE drum. It is a key missing component to his O and is used a lot for checkdown/safety throws. Our TEs just can't do it.

There's never going to be any good options because actually good QBs are paid a lot and start. They don't take backup jobs.

Your best option is to keep drafting QBs and hope you hit on one. They need to draft a raw QB with some tools.
Not so when Tannehill went to Tennessee.
Don't you remember that? - LOL

A real TE, not putting production all on the passing game, and for gosh sake's some play call variation and schemed up easy throws. Stop game planning for 30+ A caliber throws form your QB just because he did it versus the dregs of the league. That's an unrealistic ask week in and week out.

How many TDs did the Fins score against the Jets? ZERO.
The QBs from both teams sucked. They might as well never passed the football.
The Fins won because of a horse collar tackle on Waddle.
Thompson was pitiful.

Maybe, and I get it.

We had zero TDS against the Jets. True.
Know what else we didn't have? A pick 6 thrown by our QB in the fourth.
We also didn't have our QB throw a backwards pass in the end zone leading to a safety.

I saw a QB who stayed on script. That script was to not lose the game.

And guess what? We won.

Also, there was nothing pitiful about his performance against the Bills. Sure, he had a bad pick. Sure he had bad moments.

But he was also let down by his receivers most of the game.

They won because of a horse collar tackle?

Guess what?

Chargers beat us because the refs didn't believe in PI or defensive holding calls against our WRS

We lost to the Bills( 2nd game) because of a PI call.

We lost to the Pats because of a pick 6

We lost to Bengals because of a horrible INT by our veteran backup QB.

But at the end of the day, we won against the Pats and Skylar had us 1 Mike Gesicki drop or DPI away from possibly leading a drive and having us go up 4.

To each their own I guess.

I get it though. Skylar is nothing special. I'm not saying he is.

I just don't believe he was as pitiful as some think

Back
Top Bottom