Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

I think it depends on how we deal with other areas of need and how much we have (or rather, don’t have) to spend on a backup QB. I’m comfortable rolling with Skylar and I think he will improve.
but if we had the budget to sign Minshew, I would explore it.

That 2023 schedule is tough.. there is no excused Tua have be able play all 16 games..if. Not
I would get Mason Rudolph. He was very consistent in his outtings in Pitt. Similar to Tua, pocket passer, he can scramble a bit. He has experience with long balls from Ok State. I think his contract is up at the end of the league year and he is in affordable range.
Whoever gets in here will go through adjustment period to Tua's shifts and motions playbook.
Mason aint better than Bridgewater.. That waste off time...

That 2023 schedule is tough.. there is no excused Tua have be able play all 16 games..if. Not

Mason aint better than Bridgewater.. That waste off time...

I think he is in two ways. One, he will be cheaper and we have cap issues. Two, Teddy did not give us anything of what he was capable of 5 years ago.

I see a lot of suggestions that, to me, do not seem very realistic in light of our cap situation.

Just exactly how much do you guys think we wil/canl spend on a #2?
Some people just don't grasp the whole cap stuff or just like to ignore it. If you pay close attention to the cap it gives you clues to the mindset of what Miami will/won't do.

#1. Starting last year they were committed to Tua being the starting QB. All the big deals are structured so that the lage cap hit years are the same Tua was still on his rookie deal. If he would havesucked last we had an out with 2 firsts and if Tua sucked Miami probably picks high (though we ended up losing that pick). Then to me they basically said we are moving forward at a minimum with Tua as the starter next year by trading a first plus another big non QB contract on Chubb.

#2. I believe the Skylar pick was also done as a backup QB. Skylar is not some raw development type QB. He is an overager that had a lot of college experience. I think the thought was he sits a year and replaces TB on the cheap after a year as QB2 as we are tight on money.

Now for next year we have really zero capital for a top QB (picks and money). There is really only maybe one top veteran as a possibility that is Brady, but he has looked washed up most the time this year. To me QB1 is Tua no ands ifs or buts about. Only option to have a chance at a SB run is a healthy Tua.

As far as QB2, I would probably just roll with ST and hope he improves enough. Me I am sick of being a team stuck in the 5th worst to 15 place (and that's what happens we you sign a guy like Carr). With Tua at least there is a chance at a SB, and f it if he is hurt a lot again might as well get the highest pick we can and draft a QB.

What I absolutely don't want to do if we move on from Tua some point, is draft mid RD QBs, trade for backup QBs or sign mid level vets. We basically have done that since Marino retired.

Ross and Beal already paid a fortune for that fantasy… A number one draft pick and a shitload of cash just for talking to those 2 devils. Ain’t gonna happen… The Wicked Witch of the East is Dead. No goofy red boots around here. Wishing for Brady is worse than wishing for the Bills to win the Super Bowl.

They are both equally awful.

I think he is in two ways. One, he will be cheaper and we have cap issues. Two, Teddy did not give us anything of what he was capable of 5 years ago.
either way Mason is better than Sky but do u trust Mason playing 4 to 6 games if Tua is hurt??? we got luck in 2022 to make playoff w Sky...

Last edited:
Draft QB Hendon Hooker or Richardson in 3rd rd.. this might be good pick... if McD want one off them... dolphins just got start taking more chance on qb...Mayfield. Minshew, Darnold, lock. mike white, Stidham, Huntley and Heinicke .. any one off them vet should be good pick up also...
I don't think richardson will be in 3rd rd. I've seen projections of him being a mid 1st rounder because of his talent. Seems like he's raw, but he's viewed to have a high ceiling because of his size, athleticism, and arm strength

either way Mason is better than Sky but do u trust Mason playing 4 to 6 games if Tua is hurt??? we got luck in 2022 to make playoff w Sky...

I do not trust anyone to execute Tua's offense like Tua. It's his offense.
But I do like that Mason was an aggressive passer in college, that unlike Thompson he was an efficient passer, a careful passer, not a lot of picks, and that he is a pocket passer like Tua. This staff wants aggressive plays. They go long on 3rd and 4th and short, they want to use the Ferraris, even Tua forces throws.

Jaelen Phillips had more concussions than Tua and is fine, but I like your strategy so let's cut him too. Can never be too careful.
Has he has any in the pros? Does he enter the protocol every time he falls down?

The comparison is illogical .

Back
Top Bottom