Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

Question, Mr Realist... is a thumb injury that caused him to miss a single game against one of the worst teams in the league considered a significant injury?

Just wondering, because we're all just trying to learn what reality is.

Point 1
By definition any injury that causes a player to miss a game is significant.
Point 2
You cannot be serious, are you going argue that Tua has had one injury ?
Point 3
Let me help with realism . If a player is injured every single year if his career he is injury prone . If a player cannot even fall backwards without getting a concussion he is injury prone . If a player is oft injured in college he most likely will be injury prone in the nfl .

Tuas injuries are not freak injuries. He is a small slow injury prone qb whois the in a league of fast giants. There is nothing and. I mean nothing that indicates this pattern of injury will change .

Teddy came here thinking he would be the starter. When he was told phuk no. He said phuk it. I’ll ride the pine until my next gig.

Jarrett Stidham (26yro) is another QB I'd also consider
He look good in ,2 or 3 games he played last yr. This might be good choice if Vegas let him go..I also like Mike White and Drew Lock also. I think our coaches can wk w them also..plus win few game if need .

Last edited:
Do you believe he was misled by the organization, or did he make that leap in his own mind?

I know this question wasn't for me lol.

I believe he made the leap in his mind.

With how adamant MM was in touting and supporting Tua, it's hard for me to imagine Teddy was led to believe he had a chance to be QB1.

Now I believe it was expected by both sides Tua would probably miss games. So I am sure both sides were understanding Teddy would play at some point.

With that said, I think Teddy bought into the Tua stinks and Tua will be benched by week 4 narrative.

He knew Tua would get hurt, and probably believed Tua eventually lose the starting job.

After the Ravens game, that dream as shattered.

So, IMO he led himself to believe he would be the QB1 regardless of injury.

I know this question wasn't for me lol.

I believe he made the leap in his mind.

With how adamant MM was in touting and supporting Tua, it's hard for me to imagine Teddy was led to believe he had a chance to be QB1.

Now I believe it was expected by both sides Tua would probably miss games. So I am sure both sides were understanding Teddy would play at some point.

With that said, I think Teddy bought into the Tua stinks and Tua will be benched by week 4 narrative.

He knew Tua would get hurt, and probably believed Tua eventually lose the starting job.

After the Ravens game, that dream as shattered.

So, IMO he led himself to believe he would be the QB1 regardless of injury.
I'm not sure anyone was expecting Tua to be hurt this year. There were many who thought Tua might be awful and get benched, and those people were proven clueless.

Now of course, it's the opposite. We can't win, can we???

None is the smartest answer. If this team wants to compete they need Tua healthy. There’s going to be no one that can come in and replace his without a massive drop off unless is like a jimmy g but at what cost? 25 million? Even the cheaper guys like mayfield still probably costing you 10+ million. Take that money and get a nice linebacker/corner or maybe a guard to solidify the line. We tried the get a solid back up and it failed miserably. Fact of the matter is both Brissett and Bridgewater were two of the best backups in the league. What’s that saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Tua/Skylar and maybe someone in the 4th or so. If tu la goes down we are toast so might as well improve the team so we need to ask less of the backup if it’s for a game or two.

None is the smartest answer. If this team wants to compete they need Tua healthy. There’s going to be no one that can come in and replace his without a massive drop off unless is like a jimmy g but at what cost? 25 million? Even the cheaper guys like mayfield still probably costing you 10+ million. Take that money and get a nice linebacker/corner or maybe a guard to solidify the line. We tried the get a solid back up and it failed miserably. Fact of the matter is both Brissett and Bridgewater were two of the best backups in the league. What’s that saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Tua/Skylar and maybe someone in the 4th or so. If tu la goes down we are toast so might as well improve the team so we need to ask less of the backup if it’s for a game or two.

Exactly.

So I look at it this way. What's the better option cap wise

Skylar and a potential starting G or backup Tackle. Maybe even a starting center.

Or

A backup QB for 6-10 million.

Choice is easy for me.

Skylar and use the money that would have been spent on a backup QB to get help on the O line.

That would also help ensure our starting QB maybe misses less games if any at all

To be honest if Miami is rolling with Tua, I would NOT be against Baker Mayfield as a backup. I think having time to sort his head out on the bench and not be the center of a failed organization and mismanagement would do him wonders.

He's would be a quality backup.

To be honest if Miami is rolling with Tua, I would NOT be against Baker Mayfield as a backup. I think having time to sort his head out on the bench and not be the center of a failed organization and mismanagement would do him wonders.

What would you say it would require as far as a contract? Spotrac has a valuation of 2yrs/6.5m per.

What would you say it would require as far as a contract? Spotrac has a valuation of 2yrs/6.5m per.
Well seeing that Shitwater got something similar I'd say that wouldn't be too far off. Take Gardern Mishew for example, I believe he is only getting 3m per.

The question would be "Does Baker think he's a starter and with Tua's health concern would he hedge his bets to prove himself one more time?". You have to admit that Miami would be desirable for a guy like Mayfield.

I would imagine that the fact that Tua is most likely going to miss games makes being the Dolphins' backup QB more appealing than a lot of other teams. Does that incentivize a player to come here for cheaper because they know they are going to get a chance to showcase their talents and improve their chances to become a full-time starter again, or would they want more money because they know they are probably going to be starting in 3-4 games?

I would imagine that the fact that Tua is most likely going to miss games makes being the Dolphins' backup QB more appealing than a lot of other teams. Does that incentivize a player to come here for cheaper because they know they are going to get a chance to showcase their talents and improve their chances to become a full-time starter again, or would they want more money because they know they are probably going to be starting in 3-4 games?
1 year prove it deal I don't see why it wouldn't be attractive. Plus, they'd be throwing to Waddle and reek

I dunno man

He was the QB who led our team to the most important win of the season week 18 to get us in the playoffs.

Additionally he led the team in 1 of the almost biggest upsets in playoff History.

People worry about his stats. I worry about winning.

For some reason the whole team played better, for the most part with Skylar.

He had more significance at QB this year then Jacoby Brissett last year or Teddy Bridgewater this year.

So elite abilities or not. I want a QB who can go into Buffalo, in a playoff game, as the biggest underdogs in recent history and NOT get blown out.

I'll stick with Skylar.
Skylar didn’t “lead” anything. He had zero TDs vs the Jets and one vs the Bills with two INTS. That’s not an NFL QB dude.

I love the idea of Baker as a backup. Especially if you can get him on like a 2 year deal at less then 4 per (TB made 6 this year).

Last year I was against getting Baker. But things have change. First he isn't making 20+ million. I also didn't expect McDaniel to be near as aggressive downfield playcaller as he was. Also last year I didn't believe Baker was ready to except a backup role and was worried about ego issues.

Now I think Baker may be a perfect QB2 here. He kinda is what he is to me. Basically a stronger armed Fitzpatrick. He is an aggressive QB, with a riverboat gambler style. Biggest issue with Baker has been when coaches try to real him in and be more efficient, he just gets worse overall. His best throw is the deep ball, even when Cleveland lacked deep threat guys. Guy did throw 70.5 yards in the air in an actual game. So he can definitely throw it out far enough were only Hill can get to it. I think if he had to come in for a handful of games, with McDaniel's playcalling and Miami's WR skill set you win at least half those games.

Back
Top Bottom