Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

Grappalo would make the most sense for clear reason.

One thing that's obvious to me is not every Qb can play in this kind of system.
He has to be our number one choice. His familiarity with McD and his system makes it obvious.

I love the idea of Baker as a backup. Especially if you can get him on like a 2 year deal at less then 4 per (TB made 6 this year).

Last year I was against getting Baker. But things have change. First he isn't making 20+ million. I also didn't expect McDaniel to be near as aggressive downfield playcaller as he was. Also last year I didn't believe Baker was ready to except a backup role and was worried about ego issues.

Now I think Baker may be a perfect QB2 here. He kinda is what he is to me. Basically a stronger armed Fitzpatrick. He is an aggressive QB, with a riverboat gambler style. Biggest issue with Baker has been when coaches try to real him in and be more efficient, he just gets worse overall. His best throw is the deep ball, even when Cleveland lacked deep threat guys. Guy did throw 70.5 yards in the air in an actual game. So he can definitely throw it out far enough were only Hill can get to it. I think if he had to come in for a handful of games, with McDaniel's playcalling and Miami's WR skill set you win at least half those games.
Baker carries too much drama and he turns the ball over too much. Jimmy G is the guy if we can afford him.

None is the smartest answer. If this team wants to compete they need Tua healthy. There’s going to be no one that can come in and replace his without a massive drop off unless is like a jimmy g but at what cost? 25 million? Even the cheaper guys like mayfield still probably costing you 10+ million. Take that money and get a nice linebacker/corner or maybe a guard to solidify the line. We tried the get a solid back up and it failed miserably. Fact of the matter is both Brissett and Bridgewater were two of the best backups in the league. What’s that saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Tua/Skylar and maybe someone in the 4th or so. If tu la goes down we are toast so might as well improve the team so we need to ask less of the backup if it’s for a game or two.
Agree. Tua or bust, but Jimmy G gives us a chance if he’s out. Ideal fit

I am a little fearful that the QB room will consist of just Too and Skylar for the starting 53 next year. I can see a solid PS guy also there wether that person is a late pick or UDFA or a vet who qualifies to be able to be placed there. I just don't think this group will give up on Skylar who is a least fairly young and shows he wants it to pick up another guy like Teddy who wants a pay check.

Tanner McKee cmon down, if he is availabe in rd 2 we have no choice but to take him. Then we can see if Tua can stay healthy and we get a legit rookie that will definetly play at the nfl level.

Jimmy G is a starter and will get a starting job somewhere. He'll also get starting money. He's not backing up to Tua at a reduced salary.

You sure about that?

1) He was only the start this season because Qb1 got hurt. So effectively he was a backup.
2) I hate hype 1 year wonder Qbs. But lets suppose that Purdy is the real deal(remains to be seen) that brings lots of question surrounding JG.
3) Coming to Miami as a backup is almost guaranteed to be a starting gig for a few games. Love Tua but lets be real. What are the chances he goes a full season without missing time next season?

You sure about that?

1) He was only the start this season because Qb1 got hurt. So effectively he was a backup.
2) I hate hype 1 year wonder Qbs. But lets suppose that Purdy is the real deal(remains to be seen) that brings lots of question surrounding JG.
3) Coming to Miami as a backup is almost guaranteed to be a starting gig for a few games. Love Tua but lets be real. What are the chances he goes a full season without missing time next season?
How bad is his injury? He’s been beat up over the years. Definitely coming back?

You sure about that?

Yes. I'm sure.

1. He was locked into that due to them drafting Trey Lance so high. However, he outperformed him. Everyone knows Jimmy G is starting caliber and gave them a better chance to win.
2. Then Purdy just moves to a backup role, but they still have Lance. They don't need Jimmy G.
3. Why would he roll those dice when he can get a starting gig and more money? Makes no sense.

Baker carries too much drama and he turns the ball over too much. Jimmy G is the guy if we can afford him.
Both have there ups and downs.

Jimmy don't know if we can afford him. The advantages are familiar and plays smart. The one big issue with Jimmy injury. People complain about Tua, but Jimmy is far worse. Since both QBs have become starters, Jimmy was available 58% of the time, and Tua at 77% of the time. And this is Jimmy playing behind one of the best OLs most the time and Tua one of the worst OLs.

With Baker, I think he got humbled a lot this season and understands if he rocks the boat on a BU deal he may very well be out of the NFL. Also Baker will come a lot cheaper and we could use money on other needs.

Both have there risks. But I may swing for the fences a little here again. Baker and more money on other areas and hope he isn't needed or it is just a couple games. Jimmy would definitely be the better BU if Tua missed a long stretch of game, but you may also be on to ST in that situation, with both Tua and Jimmy hurt.

Tanner McKee cmon down, if he is availabe in rd 2 we have no choice but to take him. Then we can see if Tua can stay healthy and we get a legit rookie that will definetly play at the nfl level.
I love McKee and said I take him no matter what if he is there in the 2nd. But I think that will be a very very low chance. Once teams go full scout mode he will rise up the boards. Checks pretty much all the physical things you look for in a NFL QB, just played in a horrible O at Stanford. He may have a better chance going top 15 then falling to Miami in the 2nd.

I'm still defaulting to Mariotta. He's got to be choked about how is situation was handled and he has all the qualities that you'd like to see in a backup. The fact that he's from Hawaii and would be a big brother type only sweetens the deal. Minshew is intriguing but please football gods - don't let us end up with the Red Rifle.

That seems a bit extreme. Given our other needs, I seriously doubt we spend our highest pick on a potential backup QB that almost assuredly would need development to some extent, when immediate contributors are needed and available.

I have no issue with taking a shot on a mid round QB in theory, but it doesn't make sense to me this year, given the circumstances. Aside from that, even top QB prospects are somewhat of a crap shoot. Second tier guys even more so.

Back
Top Bottom