futurescout

Practice Squad
Reaction score
LT Eugene Monroe
LG Zane Beadles
C Mike Pouncey
RG John Jerry
RT Zach Strief

Eugene Monroe would cost big money but he is one of the best 10 offensive tackles in the league. Beadles had a down year this year and wouldn’t be overly expensive. Jerry is not a very good starter but was our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]best starting lineman this year and won’t cost much. We can’t spend all of our Cap $ on the offensive line, this team has a few holes. Strief has been avery solid RT for New Orleans but with their cap situation they should let him hit the open market. While this isn’t the necessarily the best offensive line combo you could put together this off-season, it would allow for other resources to go toward filling other spots. And would allow us to take the best player on the board at #19.

It would be better than this year's line but the question is: Who are the backups?

If the backups are hot garbage then chances are you are gonna be sucking again by year's end -- most teams are losing 1-2 starting OL per year now. It's the teams that draft well that have people stepping up and playing even better than the starters in some cases.

Never the case w. the Phins. Never. Which is proof in spades that the GM was horrid.

As if we needed more proof, lol.

LD

Don't forget about Dallas Thomas, Incog just tweeted. :D

Richie incognito ‏@68INCOGNITO 6m

DALLAS THOMAS IN THE #House!!!! Let's welcome my brother from University of TENNESEE @Tenneseevolfootball @NFL @MiamiDolphins

I'd like to see us draft some offensive lineman and not just have to rely on free agents. We could still take BPA at 19, as long as we draft a lineman with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Let's hope our new GM can actually develop and build a solid offensive line.

I prefer Monroe to Albert as he is younger and Albert has had back problems, IIRC.

I think he would be a good addition in FA. I think it's clear that we need two good tackles, which means we need to address the position in free agency. I can't even fathom going into the draft and needing to draft two starting tackles. That would be a nightmare.

The Ravens didn't trade for Monroe just to let him go. I don't see that happening at all. Jerry is lazy, dumb and a very poor ZBS fit who I can't justify resigning. Let Tony Sparano bring him out to Oakland. I've talked about Beadles before. I think he definitely needs to be a target, though I'm targeting Alex Mack first. Zach Strief is an interesting name, but he's been in a downhill/power scheme his whole career. In fact, most of the new names on your list are power guys, not ZBS guys. I think the new GM should be more cognizant of consistent and coherent offensive line talent. We were poor up front last year not just because the guys lacked talent, but because the talent was mismatched to the other talent.

We've already discussed this, but I think it's too much investment. We don't need an elite line, we need an average line that protects and can open up holes in the running game on the interior. I don't even think about Albert as an option (and hopefully he isn't considered), I don't like shelling out big cash to OL but Monroe is that good, so I could take it. I'd still go after Anthony Collins day 1 and get him locked up for LT. He can protect, that's what I care about and he'll come $3-4 cheaper. I like Strief too, but not in this scenario because we're shelling out way too much money. I rather bring back Clabo who has a solid track record and performed at a solid level post benching. I can't watch that fat baby Jerry get abused in the running game another year, we need to build the inside with maulers and protect the edges. Beadles is good, I think we definitely need to have a guard and a tackle in FA along with a returnee. I'd also look at Asamoah, and maybe Saffold (although I didn't realize is injury history was as poor as it is). I think that's as good an OL as you could put together from our present situation, but it's too rich for my blood. Be solid at 3 spots, comfortable at another, then let the guys duke it out with a couple draft picks for the other guard slot. This way we have a lot more money to work with and can still take BPA in the first. I don't think high investment in the OL is the recipe for success, I want a middle of the pack group that protects on the edges and opens up holes on the interior.

beadles looked pretty damn good to me yesterday...definitely a scheme fit...i just think denver will make keeping him a priority...not much gonna hit free agency that we are looking for

The Ravens didn't trade for Monroe just to let him go. I don't see that happening at all. Jerry is lazy, dumb and a very poor ZBS fit who I can't justify resigning. Let Tony Sparano bring him out to Oakland. I've talked about Beadles before. I think he definitely needs to be a target, though I'm targeting Alex Mack first. Zach Strief is an interesting name, but he's been in a downhill/power scheme his whole career. In fact, most of the new names on your list are power guys, not ZBS guys. I think the new GM should be more cognizant of consistent and coherent offensive line talent. We were poor up front last year not just because the guys lacked talent, but because the talent was mismatched to the other talent.

The scuttlebutt I've seen is that the Ravens don't want to / aren't going to franchise Monroe. I truly hope that is the case as if he is looking for the same type of money as Albert I think he would be a better acquisition. At the very least, more tackles on the market is a good thing.

I agree with you on Alex Mack. Even though our tackles were abysmal, Mack is the best player on the market and it's possible that he will be looking to leave Cleveland (despite his earlier comments about wanting to stay) after the way they handled Chud. Many of the Browns players were absolutely furious at what happened there, or so it has been reported.

beadles looked pretty damn good to me yesterday...definitely a scheme fit...i just think denver will make keeping him a priority...not much gonna hit free agency that we are looking for

He's had a down year. Like Asamoah they're both fits who could be in for a rebound.

One big money free agent tackle like Albert or Monroe and fill the rest out with a couple higher draft picks.

In the past we had to go first round to get a good linemen. Maybe the new GM will have more success with second or third round players.

The scuttlebutt I've seen is that the Ravens don't want to / aren't going to franchise Monroe. I truly hope that is the case as if he is looking for the same type of money as Albert I think he would be a better acquisition. At the very least, more tackles on the market is a good thing.

I agree with you on Alex Mack. Even though our tackles were abysmal, Mack is the best player on the market and it's possible that he will be looking to leave Cleveland (despite his earlier comments about wanting to stay) after the way they handled Chud. Many of the Browns players were absolutely furious at what happened there, or so it has been reported.

In an era of short passing causing defense to switch to lots of the double A gap blitz looks and quick interior pressure schemes, the interior of the offensive line has never been more important. Tackles on the other hand are less important than ever, especially the left tackle, thanks to the proliferation of the detached tight end exposing right tackles almost as much as left tackles. Mainly what I think you want are competent tackles that don't get beat early/inside. If you're going to have elite players, better inside than out, imo.

That being said, Eugene Monroe is arguably the best left tackle in football. Certainly right up there. But I'm with FeartheBeard on Anthony Collins and have talked about him in many threads. A name to watch out for at right tackle is Ryan Harris, who's been on several ZBS teams -- most recently with Houston -- and usually played at least competently. At guard other names I like are Mike Pollack (Bengals) and Evan Dietrich Smith.

Back
Top Bottom