Potential OLine? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Potential OLine?

I say figure out how to build the best o-line at the lowest cost, and if it's a power-blocking line rather than a zone-blocking line, so what? Seems to me that it may be easier to find power blocking o-linemen.

I highly doubt we can fill all of the holes on online through FA. We need to draft some guys, and sign a few in FA. I am hearing that Denver is willing to cut/trade Clady (LT) to open up some room to sign Decker and some other FAs. I wouldnt mind having Clady as he is a top 3 LT in the NFL. Also, drafting Gaurds feels safer for me than Tackles. Maybe we can get our Tackles in the FA, and draft our Gaurds or bring back Jerrry.

He will likely cost at least what St Louis paid for Jake Long last year.

Monroe is a better player than Long. Less injury prone, too. He's not quite as technically perfect as Joe Thomas or as physically gifted as Jason Peters, but if you're looking for an overall power tackle than Monroe is as good as you'll find in the league. Not than I think we need one of the best left tackles in the league. It's a position whose importance is overrated compared to it's cost. Even if we slightly overpay for Anthony Collins it will still likely be far less than what Monroe will command and the results in the win/loss column will be negligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
it starts up front. they need to sign 3 linemen in free agency and draft three in the first three picks. if you want a running game, a franchise qb, and a deep trip to the playoffs, then you committ

Monroe is a better player than Long. Less injury prone, too. He's not quite as technically perfect as Joe Thomas or as physically gifted as Jason Peters, but if you're looking for an overall power tackle than Monroe is as good as you'll find in the league. Not than I think we need one of the best left tackles in the league. It's a position whose importance is overrated compared to it's cost. Even if we slightly overpay for Jason Collins it will still likely be far less than what Monroe will command and the results in the win/loss column will be negligible.

Collins hasn't done it long enough for a big pay day IMO. You know exactly what you are getting in Monroe. A little buyers beware with Collins (see 1 year wonders: Ellerbe, Wheeler). I know that Whitworth and Smith are good starters but still. Also if Monroe leaves Baltimore will likely get their return with a comp pick next year. Trust me that was a big part of Ozzie's thinking, at worst it's a 1 year rental and he gets his return. Ozzie's supposed #1 target after Flacco was bringing back Ellerbe. Ozzie won't give him more than top 8-10 tackle money.

Eugene Monroe and Zack Martin would really solidify our left side. They are without a doubt the best tackle, and guard available this off-season. For once we would be filling needs with good players. Martin is also a good value pick at #19.

If we were looking for 3 new starters in the draft we could draft

1st round G/T Zack Martin Notre Dame
2nd C Travis Swanson Arkansas
3rd round T Morgan Moses Virginia

We would still need a LT and could move Pouncey to RG.

Monroe is a better player than Long. Less injury prone, too. He's not quite as technically perfect as Joe Thomas or as physically gifted as Jason Peters, but if you're looking for an overall power tackle than Monroe is as good as you'll find in the league. Not than I think we need one of the best left tackles in the league. It's a position whose importance is overrated compared to it's cost. Even if we slightly overpay for Jason Collins it will still likely be far less than what Monroe will command and the results in the win/loss column will be negligible.

My biggest concern is that there will be few worth signing on the OL who actually hit the market. Oakland has two tons of cap space, and I believe there was a "behind the scenes" deal to keep Monroe in Balt. Albert will be there but, not worth what he will get. Collins may be bid up to the $8M range and be the best "bargain" at OT.

There are LOTS of teams looking for OL help this year, and our cap space may not matter much.

Long gets an average of $8.5 million per year over 4 years, but that number may be closer to $8 million per year being that he didn't reach his incentives (Pro Bowl and playing time). I think Monroe could qualify for $8 million a year in free agency. I know some here to think LT is not a premium position anymore, and there is some truth to that, but the market is usually set by what other players already make and its not based on the free agent's intrinsic value. That being said, I think Monroe gets $8 million/year.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would have paid $8 million for Long, and would probably pay $8 million/year for Monroe depending on how the free agent market shapes up when it begins on March 11th. Its a high cost for the position, but the cost of not signing a good OT is greater imo.

miamis in a pickle imo...i would agree that a monroe zach martin left side would be just the kind of upgrade this team needs...all i know is i can't watch oline play like this last year again...so whatever they got to do do it...

i think the point about collins lack of consistency effecting his market is a valid one...before this year he was definitely not dependable so a big pay day and fall on his face would concern me...

if only jared veldheer could be counted on to stay healthy...preferably i think he's really the left tackle fit i'm looking for...

All I know this off-season is about bringing in at least 3 new starters on the OLine, and finding a capable running back or two. That plus a new OC for the first time since Tannehill was in high school will be the key to Tannehill's and our teams improvement. I know PFF rated him #7 (too high, no doubt) but with those changes I listed he could actually be one of the 8 best quarterbacks in the league.

Long gets an average of $8.5 million per year over 4 years, but that number may be closer to $8 million per year being that he didn't reach his incentives (Pro Bowl and playing time). I think Monroe could qualify for $8 million a year in free agency. I know some here to think LT is not a premium position anymore, and there is some truth to that, but the market is usually set by what other players already make and its not based on the free agent's intrinsic value. That being said, I think Monroe gets $8 million/year.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would have paid $8 million for Long, and would probably pay $8 million/year for Monroe depending on how the free agent market shapes up when it begins on March 11th. Its a high cost for the position, but the cost of not signing a good OT is greater imo.

For argument's sake, let's say you have around $15M in average contract cost (with the first year being less), and want to sign 3 on the OL. Would you spend most of that on a LT, and two lessor players or, balance the money for 3 good players. The $15M is my budget for the OL, give or take a bit.

just spit balling here but if you plan to use your top 20 pick on a zach martin cap wise you can afford to go out and pay a left tackle $8 mil per...one of these starters needs to come from the draft...might as well be the left guard on the cheap rookie contract...i would not put $15 mil in a tackle and a guard in free agency...just too much risk and money...if zach martins plug and play well then run the card up and put him in pen in your week 1 starting lineup

i personally think it's the best scenario...provided he gets to #19 as i have some doubts

Back
Top Bottom