Predict the Winner of the Rose Bowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predict the Winner of the Rose Bowl

Who wins by what?

• USC Wins by 10+

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • USC by 7

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • USC by 3

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • TX By 3

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • TX by 7

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • TX wins by 10+

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
I've been more impressed with FSU than UCLA this year. They seem to be the more complete team. I hope that USC takes them lightly. Before someone goes off on a tirade about Miami should worry about their own games, I think you're right. It's a good thing I'm not a player. I won't thread jack and talk about UM's remaining games.

Well the BCS decides number 1 and 2 right? Well no one expected it to turn out the way it did. No one could dispute OU was number 2 going into that game so why did they not deserve to be there?

Many people outside of the Sooner Nation could dispute OU being number 2 going into the last two championship games. I won't rip OU (although being a 'Cane fan in Sooner country makes that difficult), because I think they're actually the only perennial legit team in the Big XII. They play offense, defense, and special teams (usually), unlike every other Big XII team. Texas (this year) is an abberation.

I've discussed this with you before, but the Big XII is the most overrated conference in the nation. They pad their rankings by beating up on the Sam Houston States of the world, only to get exposed regularly when playing decent out-of-conference competition. Check the Big XII's cumulative bowl record over the last 3-4 years to verify this. It's not pretty.

OU has consistently dominated the Big XII over the past few years b/c they were the only team that:

A) Had a modern (non-gimmick) offense
B) Actually played defense
C) Had a head coach who wasn't either mildy r e t a r d ed or handcuffed by being stuck in a wasteland like Manhattan, KS.

Texas fits that MO this year.

I give OU credit for their consistency in being a really good football team. The problem is that when a good team (OU, TX, etc.) from the Big XII actually faces a power from another conference, they are shell-shocked b/c they haven't played a team with near the athletes that they have. When they do (UM/Neb, OU/LSU, OU/USC, KSU/OSU, CU/Ore, etc.), they are overwhelmed, and get pimpslapped.

kastofsna120 said:
um UCLA can still win the pac-10 buddy. and remember: UCLA almost beat them last year. if you think UCLA is only going to play USC "for a win" you're an idiot. every heard of a RIVALRY? yeah, that's what this is. both want to beat USC just as much. the difference is: UCLA is better than fresno state. if you disagree, you're WRONG

WOW, glad you are a regular miss cleo of football knowledge and know exactly what will happen, I guess I should be struck down by lightning for disputing the "football god". Please. I'm giving a factual debate and you bring immature name-calling into it. I am not WRONG, opinions can't be wrong "idiot". UCLA almost beat them last year? Good for them, it was LAST YEAR. By that logic, so did VT, Stanford, Cal, and Oregon State. Also, by your logic, that would mean Arizona State is on the same level as USC, because they almost beat USC this year, and it would mean that Arizona is BETTER than UCLA because they beat them. I don't care if it is a rivalry or not, rivalry games aren't always good. PLus, the fact remains that as of late UCLA has been playing like crap and their D blows, not a good thing to have on your shoulders when going into a game with USC, and Fresno State has won 7 straight and is playing well and has a much better defense, PLUS this might be their ONLY shot at playing someone as highly ranked as USC, I think they have a lot more to prove. You tell me, as a coach and team collectively, who you'd be more afraid of as USC, a team that got MURDERED by crappy Arizona and has struggled since the Stanford scare and who's D lets up AT LEAST 20 points in all but 1 game this year, or a team who has been trying to get a game with you forever and who never plays a team as big as you so they have something to prove and who has won 7 straight, by a respective margain, and hasn't allowed more than 20 points but 2 times this year? If you say the former "you are WRONG".

papafin said:
Many people outside of the Sooner Nation could dispute OU being number 2 going into the last two championship games. I won't rip OU (although being a 'Cane fan in Sooner country makes that difficult), because I think they're actually the only perennial legit team in the Big XII. They play offense, defense, and special teams (usually), unlike every other Big XII team. Texas (this year) is an abberation.

I've discussed this with you before, but the Big XII is the most overrated conference in the nation. They pad their rankings by beating up on the Sam Houston States of the world, only to get exposed regularly when playing decent out-of-conference competition. Check the Big XII's cumulative bowl record over the last 3-4 years to verify this. It's not pretty.

OU has consistently dominated the Big XII over the past few years b/c they were the only team that:

A) Had a modern (non-gimmick) offense
B) Actually played defense
C) Had a head coach who wasn't either mildy r e t a r d ed or handcuffed by being stuck in a wasteland like Manhattan, KS.

Texas fits that MO this year.

I give OU credit for their consistency in being a really good football team. The problem is that when a good team (OU, TX, etc.) from the Big XII actually faces a power from another conference, they are shell-shocked b/c they haven't played a team with near the athletes that they have. When they do (UM/Neb, OU/LSU, OU/USC, KSU/OSU, CU/Ore, etc.), they are overwhelmed, and get pimpslapped.

I agree that the Big 12 is doing terrible, but on ur last sentence, we didnt get pimpslapped by LSU, we lost by a TD :D

FinFan90 said:
I agree that the Big 12 is doing terrible, but on ur last sentence, we didnt get pimpslapped by LSU, we lost by a TD :D
You got pimpslapped until the end of the game..so the score is skewed a bit.

Agent51 said:
Yea, Fresno is the only team that has a shot at making the rose bowl NOT be USC/Texas. Texas has a free ride basically (as long as they don't take it too lightly like they did the first 3 quarters of the OSU game) and Fresno is the last challenge for USC.

Since when did winning at College Station become easy?

That's a rivalry game and by means is it a guarantee UT wins that game.

ether79 said:
You got pimpslapped until the end of the game..so the score is skewed a bit.

really, how?

I mean tehy had alot of rushing yds due to prob one big run, tehy had 5 sacks we had 5 sacks, i think we had the same number of turnovers, but still OU played there worst game and LSU played there best and they still one by a TD and they let us scare the hell outa them at the end.

Edit: Not trying to be a smart @$$ :D

That LSU game was a close game, but OU had no answer for LSU's defensive speed. White had guys hounding him all night, and looked nothing like the heisman trophy winning QB he was. OU hadn't faced a solid defense (save maybe KSU) all year, and when they did they got lit up. They only scored one offensive TD in that game. I can't remember a National Championship team that only scored one offensive TD in the bowl game.

LSU gave up a punt block for a TD, and fumbled the ball inside the 5 yard line. Kudos to OU's defense/special teams for making those plays, but that game could've been a lot worse than it was.

BTW, I know White threw the pick to the DE for a TD, and missed a wide open receiver for a TD, so both teams missed out on opportunities. Watching the game, I just never got the feeling that OU was really in the game. It was sort of like the Miami/VT game in '04. Although the 'Canes lost 16-10, it was painfully obvious who the better team was, and I never felt they were in the game.

kastofsna120 said:
don't you know anything? rivalries mean nothing

Funny, too bad you take what I say and misconstrue it to make yourself look good. Find a quote from me that says "rivalries mean nothing" in my post? KNow why you can't cuz I didn't say it. Yeah, OK, teams play harder during rivalries, but in these two cases Texas and USC are way to overpowering for the current installment of the teams they are playing. It's not the NAME UCLA that beats you, its the team, and this UCLA team doesn't look impressive at all leately. I notice you have zero rebuttle (aside from some lame "rivalries mean nothing" dig) to my FACT-BASED posts about UCLA beaing the weaker team AS OF LATE than Fresno. Try coming back with something factual in your argument instead of "UCLA is the better team and if you don't think so you are wrong" then you're posts MIGHT hold some weight. Rivalry or no rivalry, Fresno presents a bigger challenge than UCLA for USC. I am talking right now, not based o paper stats and early rankings. Take the play of the teams the past 4 games, Fresno has played MUCH better than UCLA. But I forgot, you know everything there is to know about football so I couldn't POSSIBLY be right. No way Fresno State, who has won 7 straight and not given up more than 20 points in all but 2 games, could POSSIBLY be a bigger threat to UCLA, who has struggled the past 4 games, whos D has let up over 20 points in all games but 1, and who got SPANKED by a crappy Arizona team, to USC because UCLA is their rival :shakeno: . That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, that JUST because it's a rivalry automatically means they are the tougher opponent than a better team with a better record and better D as of late, plus a team that is trying to prove they can play with top ranked teams.

Agent51 said:
Funny, too bad you take what I say and misconstrue it to make yourself look good. Find a quote from me that says "rivalries mean nothing" in my post? KNow why you can't cuz I didn't say it. Yeah, OK, teams play harder during rivalries, but in these two cases Texas and USC are way to overpowering for the current installment of the teams they are playing. It's not the NAME UCLA that beats you, its the team, and this UCLA team doesn't look impressive at all leately. I notice you have zero rebuttle (aside from some lame "rivalries mean nothing" dig) to my FACT-BASED posts about UCLA beaing the weaker team AS OF LATE than Fresno. Try coming back with something factual in your argument instead of "UCLA is the better team and if you don't think so you are wrong" then you're posts MIGHT hold some weight. Rivalry or no rivalry, Fresno presents a bigger challenge than UCLA for USC. I am talking right now, not based o paper stats and early rankings. Take the play of the teams the past 4 games, Fresno has played MUCH better than UCLA. But I forgot, you know everything there is to know about football so I couldn't POSSIBLY be right. No way Fresno State, who has won 7 straight and not given up more than 20 points in all but 2 games, could POSSIBLY be a bigger threat to UCLA, who has struggled the past 4 games, whos D has let up over 20 points in all games but 1, and who got SPANKED by a crappy Arizona team, to USC because UCLA is their rival :shakeno: . That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, that JUST because it's a rivalry automatically means they are the tougher opponent than a better team with a better record and better D as of late, plus a team that is trying to prove they can play with top ranked teams.
i've watched UCLA

i've watched fresno state

UCLA is better than fresno state

perhaps if USC was playing @ FSU, i'd give fresno a shot

i didn't say UCLA was a tougher opponent because they're rivals, i said that because UCLA IS BETTER THAN FRESNO STATE. their starters are better, and they have a lot more depth than fresno state

lol, why am i even arguing? i hope both teams rape USC

I have not seen a single USC game this year.

If they can be beaten, what's the formula?

Dubfire said:
I have not seen a single USC game this year.

If they can be beaten, what's the formula?
their defense is suspect, so running the ball and getting 3rd downs is what you need to do to win, plain and simple. keep the offense off the field and score every chance you get

Back
Top Bottom