Predicting The Afc Playoff Teams

Discussion in 'General NFL Forum' started by JahnDho, Jun 21, 2018.

1. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

There are a lot of sites giving their predictions. For the year. I have Miami finishing 2nd in the AFC East at 8-8 and out of the playoffs. Here’s how I think the playoffs should unfold.

NE
    Pitt
    KC
    Jax

Wild Cards: LAC and Tenn

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  2. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

NE
    Pitt
    Den
    Jax

Wild cards: Mia, Oak

I think the AFC South will be bad this year. The AFC West will be pretty good but beat each other up. The AFC North will be Pitt and nobody else.

coalesce likes this.
  3. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

:laugh San Diego with Pouncey putting them over.

I would love to see NE or Pittsburgh not on that list: could this be the year? I found it interesting that Brady suggested playing for many years before the Draft and now is considering retirement sooner than later?

We've got more questions than any other team; many young players who will need to take that next step and a several guys coming back from major injuries. If we get the breaks this year I think we can challenge for the AFC east , I don't want to start the season aiming for the 6th wildcard.

4. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I won't attempt it this early, until we see what teams suffer injuries and setbacks in the camp and pre season.

gunn34, outlawd2u and El Calebra like this.
  5. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

The south division has a strong argument of being the best division with the return of Watson and Luck.

NE
    Pitt
    Jax
    Oak

WC-KC and Hou

6. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Agreed. We know Kilgore, Sitton, Davis, Amendola, Wilson, Gesicki, Smythe, Quinn, McMillan, Fitz, maybe Baker, and other new faces will be new and getting significant snaps, if not starting. Then we have McMillan (listed again), Lippett, Tannehill, Quinn (back), James, and others back from injuries. That's about 2/3s of the starters, depending on how we count. PLUS, the debates over Tunsil, KA, Harris, and a couple others. This is the reason a lot of people justify their pessimism, and I get that.
    I've said elsewhere, all the bad possibilities won't happen, nor will all the good. I think a lot of the changes will be even, at worse, (e.g., Kilgore), I expect progress from the question marks (e.g., Harris, Tunsil), and upgrades from others (e.g., Gore, Gesicki, Fitz). If the coaching improves, this team could be solid with a chance at the playoffs, if they can get through September.

7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

I doubt Luck will ever be what he was in 2013.

8. finfan41

finfan41 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Why k.c. Has some talent, they have a huge ? At qb, why he looked good week 17, you have to remember it was week 17 a lot of players where playing not to get injured for this year

9. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

AFC teams I am convinced will be better than Miami in 2018:

New England
    Pittsburgh
    Jacksonville

That's it.

San Diego? The popular Cinderella pick since forever? They've been considerably WORSE than the Fins over the past three years. 4-12, 5-11, and 9-7 isn't putting the fear of God into me. Kansas City? With Mahomes? We'll see. Oakland? I'm not convinced Chucky is going to turn that team around in a season. Houston? Sure, DeShaun Watson is back, but does anyone remember how bad that defense was? Tennessee? Indy? Not scared. Denver? Time for Vance Joseph to show me something.

New York? Buffalo? They're rebooting at QB. Cincy? Give me one reason 2018 won't look just like 2015, 2016, 2017.... Cleveland? How about they win more than one game during this Presidential administration before we say they're playoff contenders?

The point is - there isn't a single team in the AFC without some GLARING questions, other than NE and Pitt. I still have questions about Jacksonville on offense, but that D is so good I'm not sure it matters. Miami is right in the middle of that group with glaring questions.

I don't see any reason to not say "Miami has a shot at a wildcard this year." There are about a dozen teams that can say that same thing.

Ray R, gunn34, Vaark and 1 other person like this.
  10. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I could see KC taking a step back with the erratic young guy at qb. They will probably miss Alex Smith. Denver is pretty bad.

I could see SD taking a huge step forward. Philip Rivers is golden at losing at crucial times, but he has a lot of talent around him. I will take them in the West even though Rivers is a stats guy but not a winner. If they had stability at qb, they could be in the mix for the super bowl. Electrifying defense, good backs and receivers, some high draft picks on the O line. Very good team.

Oakland may be in the mix.

Jax could win the AFC.

Will the hapless ragamuffin Browns actually win a game? What an embarrassment they are.

11. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I think anybody who watched football can assume these predictions are barring injury. Who predicts injuries?

12. DolfanISS

Mine are:

NE
    Pit
    Jax
    Oak

Mia, SD

I don't believe Luck will return to form and Watson's "more interceptable passes than anyone in 2017" will eventually catch up with him. I also do not believe in Marcus "my stats were on par with Jay Cutler last season" Mariota. I don't believe in the Bills at all, maybe the Ravens challenge and I don't know what to make of KC or Denver.

AZStryker likes this.
  13. The Goat

A few people on this forum...about their own team's QB.

14. DolfanISS

Well that's fun, I guess. We really can't assume all predictions in June are barring injury? Obviously if Tom Brady goes down the Pats aren't winning **** with Bryan Hoyer.

15. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Patriots
    Steelers
    Jaguars
    Broncos

In the Hunt---Dolphins-Texans-Raiders-Bengals

Dolphins and Texans clinch

16. The Goat

Your point is a valid one. I think what Romano was suggesting is he's not going to try to predict either way at this point; he's going to wait until training camp to see what injuries occur.

17. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

New England
    Pittsburgh
    Jags
    Broncos

Miami and CLEVELAND in the wild card.

To be honest I just wanted to make the bold Cleveland prediction.

Birdmond likes this.
  18. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Miami
    Baltimore
    Jax
    KC

Patriots
    Steelers

phin_nutt and FinaticalFinfan like this.
  19. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

New England
    Houston
    Oakland
    Baltimore
    Jacksonville
    Miami

I think Houston is going to be really good if Watson stays healthy.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  20. FinfanInBuffalo

I do not like the QB situation in the AFC South. Mariota was BAD last season. Luck may never be the same. Bortles is Bortles. Watson is fragile and about to get a rude awaking about the NFL and catching up to players.

21. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

People have been making bold predictions on Cleveland for 15 years. They've burned me too many times.

I could see the Raiders being good but its hard to say how the last season in Oakland will influence them

The AFC East could be the cakewalk division of the league. Potentially 2 rookie QBs starting, a 41 year old and a guy coming off missing a season and a half.

22. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

New England
    Pittsburgh
    Houston
    LA Chargers

Wild Card
    Jacksonville
    Miami

Houston and LA have all the things needed to be a contender. Great defense and very good QB play. I wouldnt be surprised if they make it to the AFC championship game. The Texans QB is one of the best rookies I ever saw, if he returns from injury ok, they should be contenders. Deshaun Watson is the QB I would have dream of being drafted by the Dolphins. LA has a very scary young a good defense to complement with a capabble offense. New England and Pittsburgh have no challengers on their divisions as long as no other QB on their divisions is a top QB like the ones they have. I put Jacksonville because they are a young a strong defensive team and Dolphins because I am a homer and really wish Tannehill is the QB half of this board thinks he is. If not, I expect the Bills and the Chiefs to compete for the final spot.

23. The Goat

If Houston doesn't do something serious about their D, they're going to lose a lot of games 38-34

24. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

[QUOTE="FinfanInBuffalo, post: 7648397, member: 1580" Mariota was BAD last season.[/QUOTE]

Just looking at box scores it would appear a down year for Mariota. But 5 of Titans 9 victories came with Mariotta making plays in the 4th to win close games and get them to playoffs. The prior 2 years were good for him. Don't think their team was very good last year and his stats showed that.

25. The Goat

Houston gave up the most points per game in the NFL last year, and it wasn't all that close.

26. FinfanInBuffalo

Not buying it. Good pass protection. Decent running game. Decent defense. Passer rating below 80. More INTs than TDs. May have been an aberration for Mariota. He was better the previous two years, but he was not good last year.

27. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Being up here in Ohio I see it first hand but most people don’t realize Cleveland could easily be 16-16 as opposed to 1-31 the last two years. They have blown about 10-15 wins over the time, it’s not all a talent issue. Hue Jackson has lost them more games than their roster has.

The only ones you can put directly on a player is on Kiser last year vs the packers. First drive of overtime he threw up what looked like a punt off his back foot

Also Corey Coleman dropped on in his mitts in week 17 last year on fourth down

28. traptses

traptses Starter Finheaven VIP

1. Patriots
    2. Jaguars
    3. Steelers
    4. Chiefs (they’ll be the division winner that shouldn’t be in the playoffs)
    5. Dolphins
    6. Texans

Miami beats KC
    Pitt beats Houston

New England beats Miami
    Jacksonville beats Pitt

Jacksonville beats NE

29. FinfanInBuffalo

Who is the Head Coach this year?

30. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

NE for sure. Pittsburgh most likely. Jacksonville and Houston. Oakland and Denver.

31. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Good ol hue. That’s what I was getting at, don’t buy the hype w/ them this year bc the coach that has lost all those games is still there

FinfanInBuffalo likes this.
  32. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

That looks like a good prediction. I think Miami will go 9-7 and just miss out. The run defense is my real concern. Otherwise, the Dolphins look much better than what's being predicted right now.

Pittsburgh may decline and I could see Houston challenging for their division.

33. SF Dolphin Fan

I like Houston's chances as well. Could also see Baltimore beating out Pittsburgh.

34. SF Dolphin Fan

In June, New England seems like a given. But, if Tom Brady goes down the Patriots might regret not taking one of the better quarterbacks in the draft. Then again, they'd probably still win 11 games. I take a shot at it.

Division Winners
    New England
    Baltimore
    Houston
    Kansas City

Wild Cards
    Pittsburgh
    Oakland

In the mix
    Cincinnati
    Tennessee
    Miami
    San Diego
    Denver

35. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Highly skeptical of Tennessee. Extremely, outrageously skeptical of that team.. I'll be pretty ****ing shocked if Mike Vrabel isn't a dumpster fire of a HC.

36. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

NE
    PIT
    JAX
    DEN

Actually looking at potential wildcard teams, I feel better about the Dolphins' chances, nobody stands out to me

MIA
    LAC

37. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Patriots
    Steelers
    Jags
    Chargers

WC- Miami , Raiders

I think the west is way too close to really make a clear choice, and I'll be homerish and pick us as well, why not? We can make it. PLENTY of teams are gonna fighting for those 2 spots

38. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The West has some teams who should play well. Well, enough, in fact, that the Div winner may be the only one from the West in the playoffs. The others may trade wins/losses enough to miss the cut.

39. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think the browns will probably win between 5 and 8 games this year and will embarrass a few teams while doing it. They are likely to be wildly unpredictable and that alone will make them dangerous. The last three years gave them enough time and enough draft positions to put a skill laden team on the field. It will be mostly up to the coaching this year.

mwestberry and Albert Romano like this.
  40. The Goat

I have to tell you...

...I *really* like Mayfield. He pretty much made Cowherd look silly today.