Preseason 2013 Pass Rusher Watch List | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preseason 2013 Pass Rusher Watch List

mingo is gonna test off the charts...and with his length and upside and pass rush tools not to mention 43 de is a premium draft slot position especially ones with terrific pass rush skills i don't see any way he gets out of the top 5...doesn't matter anyways...miami's gonna win too many games to sniff either one of them

mingo is gonna test off the charts...and with his length and upside and pass rush tools not to mention 43 de is a premium draft slot position especially ones with terrific pass rush skills i don't see any way he gets out of the top 5...doesn't matter anyways...miami's gonna win too many games to sniff either one of them

We all know he's going to test well. However, if he doesn't stay on the field and start producing soon he's not going to test at all because he's not going to declare early. He'll stay for another year.

He's still rail thin and not an ounce over 235 pounds at the most. Nobody is taking a physically underdeveloped 235 pound defensive end in the top 5 no matter how athletic he is. You're not going to play DE in the NFL at that weight. I'm actually a little disappointed that he hasn't added any weight and still thin as a zipper. Unlike Sam Montgomery who added about 15 pounds of muscle in the off-season. He looks good with it too.

Furthermore, he doesn't have elite pass rush skills. He simply has elite athletic ability, speed, and change of direction. We shut him out over 2 games last year. In 8 quarters of football against Bama's tackles he had 1 TFL. No sacks. Invisible. Our offense whipped him and the Herbal Badger up and down the field while smartly avoiding Morris Claiborne like the plague.

Jarvis Jones has already perfected playing the stand-up outside linebacker position under a former NFL defensive coordinator in Todd Grantham's system. He single handedly dominates games and essentially won the Missouri game for UGA. Whether it's stopping the run, dropping into coverage and intercepting passes, or spinning tackles like a top on his way to forcing fumbles... Jarvis Jones is the truth. He'll have his name in the Heisman Trophy conversation by the end of the season. This is the best defensive player in the country. I promise.

Mingo won't be drafted ahead of him.. and I like Mingo. But I ain't no fool. Jarvis Jones is it partner.

Jarvis Jones is the best defensive player in the country.

Although he's not a defensive end and won't be a defensive end. He's a 3-4 rush linebacker and he'll be one in the NFL. You don't see many athletes of this caliber rushing the passer who can destroy an offensive tackle with speed and then play with their shoulders perpendicular to the LOS the way he can. His hand use is so good that offensive lineman can't even sustain a base block on him in the run game. A top 5 pick similar to Von Miller.
Yeah, that's what we need. I know the offense is screaming for a wide receiver, but Miami is going to struggle to get off the field on third downs versus good teams. We will probably win 5-6 games, though, which means both Jones and Mingo could be gone. Then again, we are in good shape to trade up if we really have to have someone. I do like CK's guy too, Bjorn Werner.

Totally agree with Ted on Mingo.

Gayle looks very good to me, Lemonier also interesting. But I like Goodman a lot from the little bit I've seen of him so far.

Werner looks a little under-conditioned to me. I don't think he's going to wow with his measurements, which will put some teams off. So it's hard to know how he'll translate. Brains, work ethic and instinct go a long way in the NFL. I think he needs to add a little more core explosiveness to his frame and he could be special.

If I had to draft tomorrow, I'd be looking at Gayle and Goodman for Miami. If Goodman could get a little better consistency off the blocks (as ck also noted), he'd be a hell of a player. He's another guy that could benefit from more conditioning, imo.

totally disagree on mingo...his pass rush is no more raw than jpps was when he came out...he's not 235 lbs and we all know that after the college season the guys gonna carbo load and come in to the combine at 250 lbs plus and rip it up...teams will bet on the upside and salivate over him as a 265 lb end...and again 43 end with high pass rush tools trumps 34 olb when it comes to draft position rankings traditionally...can't see how or why it will change here...the new cba means even less risk upside will be huge...the guys motor is nonstop and he's dominant now light in the pants...i also have no idea what slimms talking about when he says mingo was dominated in the bama games...

It's a pretty good list. While I like Werner I don't see him in the class of Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones. For my $ Barkevious Mingo and Jarvis Jones are franchise type of players.

First, Mingo is absolutely relentless and never gives up on a play. He has a long, athletic frame and his first step is explosive. He uses his hands well to fight off blocks and is explosive overall in the Jason Pierre Paul mold. Mingo has solid technique allowing him to maneuver around blockers and plays with great instincts.

Jarvis Jones can do it all when it comes to rushing the quarterback but his height. 6"2, will be concerning to some teams. The thing that stands out when it comes to Jarvis Jones that he plays the run exceptionally well.

totally disagree on mingo...his pass rush is no more raw than jpps was when he came out...he's not 235 lbs and we all know that after the college season the guys gonna carbo load and come in to the combine at 250 lbs plus and rip it up...teams will bet on the upside and salivate over him as a 265 lb end...and again 43 end with high pass rush tools trumps 34 olb when it comes to draft position rankings traditionally...can't see how or why it will change here...the new cba means even less risk upside will be huge...the guys motor is nonstop and he's dominant now light in the pants...i also have no idea what slimms talking about when he says mingo was dominated in the bama games...

Mingo has already said he's 235 right now hoops... you're arguing just to argue. He looks thinner than that. He looks like a safety.

Have you even watched any college football this year...particularly LSU? Mingo didn't even start last week against Idaho. They've been starting Lavar Edwards in his place who isn't a bad prospect himself. Had a sack and an INT return for a TD in Mingo's place. Mingo sprained his ankle the week before against Washington and came in and played 2 series against Idaho before he was limping again. He has to get it together soon because he's not the only elite athlete in college who can rush the passer, except the rest of them are on the field producing. Mingo has done virtually nothing to this point.

JPP didn't go in the top 5 and he was already playing at almost 270 pounds in college. They didn't have to hope Pierre-Paul put on weight, it was already there.

I know exactly what I'm talking about when I say Bama dominated Mingo both games. I attended the first one in Tuscaloosa and have combed over the film of both games more than 25 times. If you know what you're talking about and I don't, feel free to inform me on all the plays he made. I know what happened and why.

No opinion on Demontre Moore?

I really like him. I was interested to see what type of transition he was going to make from outside linebacker to playing DE this year and it's been a smooth one. He looks natural at either.

I talked about him a little back in April and he was one of the underclassman that stood out to me. I had a thread for a few of my underclassman and my take on him as a (sophomore) linebacker.... about halfway down the page or so. I'll do more on him and his switch to defensive end if he declares...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?318883-Slimm-s-2013-prospects-(underclassman)/page3

yeah i have watched some college ball...watched mingo look like by far the best looking prospect on the field against washington...admittedly as per usual i have not been locked in on college ball right now...most my free time is spent watching pro this early...but the dvrs working overload...i will ramp it up as we get closer to the postseason/draft process...

i can already see we are gonna have some disagreements this year...is milliner the same corner that every time he played the last few years would get torched??? i wanna say it was #28 that was getting owned and exploited when he played in years past...but i guess i could have him mixed up

oh and slimm here is where my love affair with mingo began...watching him beast in the national champ game against your bama boys...hell you even admitted that he had top 10 pick upside in the very thread...if you don't think that kid showed off legit talent and top pick worthy talent and upside well i suggest you watch it a 26th time...anyways i'm on the bandwagon with this kid beginning with post #27...first time i'd seen him play stuck out like a sore thumb...undeniable eye popping talent...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...ionship-game-lsu-vs-alabama-game-thread/page3

yeah i have watched some college ball...watched mingo look like by far the best looking prospect on the field against washington...admittedly as per usual i have not been locked in on college ball right now...most my free time is spent watching pro this early...but the dvrs working overload...i will ramp it up as we get closer to the postseason/draft process...

i can already see we are gonna have some disagreements this year...is milliner the same corner that every time he played the last few years would get torched??? i wanna say it was #28 that was getting owned and exploited when he played in years past...but i guess i could have him mixed up

Nobody on Alabama's defense has been getting burned every time they played. You do realize that Alabama only allowed 111 yards per game through the air last year at a clip of 4.3 yards/attempt. Both best in the country by a substantial margin with Milliner playing the field corner in nickel packages because Menzie moved inside to the slot.

Milliner was burned a couple of times as a freshman 2 years ago because he hadn't quite grasped Saban's scheme yet. It was only a few plays (against Arkansas for example) where he'd be playing man coverage when everyone else was playing zone. The communication is sent in via the safety (Barron) and Milliner didn't get the call. The communication is the key to Saban's secondary.

He shuts down his side of the field for the most part. He's a big, physical, press corner who's capable of shutting down his side of the field, and does for the most part. He's already defended 5 passes in a little less than 2 full games (didn't play against Western Kentucky, and only the first half in the other two blowouts) with 2 interceptions (one called back for a penalty that he nearly returned for a TD last Saturday).

We're definitely going to disagree here.

my point being in years past when the defense gave up plays in the passing game the secondary player that primarily gave em up was milliner correct??? i'm fully aware that the bama d was legit and shut people down...i just recall when plays being made #28 the goat

he shut down half the field against michigans wrs but imo that was more a reflection of michigan having nothing at the position for the next level at least to my eye and robinson being scattershot as a passer

oh and slimm here is where my love affair with mingo began...watching him beast in the national champ game against your bama boys...hell you even admitted that he had top 10 pick upside in the very thread...if you don't think that kid showed off legit talent and top pick worthy talent and upside well i suggest you watch it a 26th time...anyways i'm on the bandwagon with this kid beginning with post #27...first time i'd seen him play stuck out like a sore thumb...undeniable eye popping talent...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...ionship-game-lsu-vs-alabama-game-thread/page3

I think he does have top 10 potential, but it may not be this year.

He's definitely not going to play DE in the NFL at his current weight. Although I never thought he'd play DE in the NFL to begin with and said so several times from the beginning. I think he'll have to play linebacker unless he puts on 20-25 pounds of good weight, not manufactured weight.

I think he's a terrific athlete with a lot of upside, but he's not playing well this year. I was as high on him as anybody was but I've been watching him and I'm not going to go against what I see for the sake of being hard headed. He's got a lot of developing in front of him. Probably more than I thought.

Maybe you need to watch it for a 2nd time. Watch it like I have about 2 dozen times and tell me exactly where he isn't being controlled, and where all the plays are at that you're convinced he was making.....

[video=youtube;eOBkEpKUZvY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBkEpKUZvY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom