Preseason 2013 Pass Rusher Watch List | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preseason 2013 Pass Rusher Watch List

my point being in years past when the defense gave up plays in the passing game the secondary player that primarily gave em up was milliner correct??? i'm fully aware that the bama d was legit and shut people down...i just recall when plays being made #28 the goat

he shut down half the field against michigans wrs but imo that was more a reflection of michigan having nothing at the position for the next level at least to my eye and robinson being scattershot as a passer

He only got burned his freshman season because of miscommunication, not because of talent. I can't make it any clearer. If you need to see those games again then watch 'em again.

Dre Kirkpatrick got burned on the first play of the game by Andre Debose last year for a TD, not Dee Milliner. Kirkpatrick got burned again the week before by Arkansas, not Dee Milliner.

Those passes Milliner was defending against Michigan were on target, he was just in perfect position to defend the pass. The interception he had was because he ran Roy Roundtree (who will get a chance to play in the NFL in the slot) clean out of bounds with one push in press coverage and finished the route as if he was the receiver.

I'll take Milliner and you can have Sugar Possum any day.

oh wow i didn't even know that game was available...don't use youtube much...primarily dvr...but i will take another look...and yeah i was hoping he would come in this year with a good 10 more lbs of good weight and it doesn't look like he did...still teams are gonna salivate over the prospect of what he can do with good weight on that body...and i'm not about to say the guy can only play standing up in the pros...i see 43 de massive upside...

04. DE/OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon - Tall. Hands. Punch, shock, shiver. Strong side linebacker. Hits tight ends. Hits backs. Quick off snap. Length. Outside rush. Counters. Decent control. Speed. Acceleration. Tight end background. Aware.

Every time I try to watch Dion Jordan, my eye gets pulled to Kiko Alonso. Troubled kid, yes, but incredibly instinctive, great game reader. Kaddu is the opposite of Alonso - physical, raw, a total project player. Alonso is NFL-ready, imo. I'm sure that practising week-in week-out against Chip Kelly's offense is great for linebackers' development and Alonso keeps displaying his ability to get around the ball and make plays.

Completely hashed up his pick at the weekend by getting out of sync with his army of blockers, but if scouts believe that he's a reformed character he could really climb the draft charts.

Sorry for the sidetrack! At some point I'll look at Dion Jordan without getting distracted.

Btw, no love for Chase Thomas of Stanford as an OLB?

You'll find some here on page 2 of this thread I made back in May....

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?320257-Slimm-s-2013-Prospects-(Seniors)/page2

I consider the top of the Senior class of pass rushers (DE/OLB) to consist of Thomas, Okafor, Dion Jordan, Walter Stewart, Datone Jones, Cornellius Carradine, Trevardo Williams, Quanterus Smith, David Bass, Willie Jefferson, Michael Buchanan, Jamie Collins, Toben Opurum, and Devin Taylor.

I've always liked Thomas right there with the best of 'em.

As an aside, Josh Mauro at defensive tackle is a kid who is blossoming as a Senior for Stanford along the defensive line. If you pay attention to how Stanford beat USC, it all starts at the LOS with Thomas and Mauro. I think Mauro might even draw some interest as a 5-tech by some teams that utilize 30 fronts.... he's a pretty solid prototype for it at 6'6" 280 pounds with room to add another 10-15 pounds to his frame. Probably in the late round category right now with upside as a developmental player is where I have him.

i just got done looking at werner against wake...and i can definitely see why many of you guys like him...i see some things i really like there...one thing really stands out to me...

carradine limited exposure but right now i'm kinda ehhhh....

There are certainly better pure pass rushers in the country than Bjoern Werner as far as that goes, but I don't think any play the defensive end position better than he does. He sees everything and plays with his head up. Even when he loses leverage on the football with his pass rush he can still find it and make the play.

I still think Carradine can be just as dominant... he continues to get better every week.

Ben Habern and Patrick Larimore shouldn't be in any mock drafts as they both retired from football prior to the season. Habern because of neck injuries and Larimore due to concussions.

werners got a very good get off of the ball...that's huge for me with edge pass rushers...he gets off the ball very quickly...can get a little upright though after but i'm always of the opinion if you have plus get off of the ball i can work with your pass rush and you can make hay...i see real strength in his hands also...

Have you found all those plays Mingo made against Bama yet, hoops...

Werner's getoff is consistent, is what I like there. It's good, not super ridiculous but very good, but best of all it's consistent.

The awareness and ease with which he can shed the block are two things that stood out last year. He's like J.J. Watt when it comes to getting his hands up and knocking down passes.

Have you found all those plays Mingo made against Bama yet, hoops...

haven't looked at it yet...that said i never said he made a ton of plays...what i said is that he showed off sick talent and was the best looking pro upside and talent prospect on the field...i stand by that...when i look this weekend i'll write down the times and plays that stood out to me and post them for you to review though...i thought he was the best looking player from a pro future stand point on either los...the kinda talent that teams salivate over...

anyways werners get off...consistent sounds good...it's not jaw dropping but he sure looked like he was consistently the first guy off the ball from what i saw...it's a plus get off for me

What exactly are you calling upside besides athletic ability and speed? Mingo has certainly shown those things in the past (against Oregon, Auburn, and Arkansas for example) but he didn't show "sick talent" or the "best pro upside and talent prospect on the field" against Alabama in either game. In both games the best prospects on the field were Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne.

I specifically said that Mingo was dominated by Alabama, you said you didn't know what I was talking about... as if he was making a bunch of plays. He didn't make any, hoops.

Here's what happened on the first drive Bama had the football:

-Mingo was base blocked by a guard (Chance Warmack). If you know what a base block is, the best pro prospect on the field shouldn't be getting base blocked by a guard.

-Beat slow footed D.J. Fluker to the inside... him and 2 other LSU defenders force McCarron to unload the ball early

2nd Drive:

Didn't play. They pulled him off the field because he was losing leverage on the football by getting upfield too far, not maintaining gap integrity in the run game.

3rd Drive:

-Didn't start the drive on defense

-We complete a pass on him in the flat to the TE (Underwood) for a 1st down

-Run right at him as he's easily moved for another 1st down

-Blocked by the H-back (Brad Smelley) on the long pass to Kevin Norwood, who owned the Herbal Badger all game

-Again, base blocked by Fluker on the play where McCarron missed a wide open Smelley down the sideline

-Mingo dropped into zone coverage, McCarron scrambled for a nice gain

-Caught in the wash on the inside

I could go on, but this is essentially how it unfolds throughout the entire game. He had 2 tackles the entire contest and one of those was on the fake punt which resulted in another 1st down. He ended up getting a TFL somewhere along the way, but no sacks and no pressures. Tell me where he's at on the 34 yard TD run by Trent Richardson in the 4th quarter that went right at him... You see that #49 getting rag dolled by Barrett Jones on the play? That's Mingo.

i already said in the actual game thread that mingo got destroyed on that play by jones...anyways i said the best pro upside at the los as in guys playing on it...and again i stand behind it...and this kids going very very high despite all his deficiencies that you like to point out it seems...higher than you could ever justify i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
As a FSU fan, I've liked Werner since the first time I saw him. No issues with him being a Dolphin.

Back
Top Bottom