Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

I don't have a problem signing a veteran RB, but my preference is for a draft pick in the mid rounds. Sure, I'm devaluing the RB position ... but that's how I feel about it in today's pass-first NFL. How much of an upgrade is he over the Myles Gaskins and Salvon Ahmed types we have on the roster already? Is he a 7M+ per year upgrade? IMHO, maybe not. He wants 15M per year, but FA RB's get Melvin Gordon type contracts, so he's likely to get under 10M per year, which is the only reason I'm even remotely interested.

Salary cap management means finding those spots where you can get by with cheaper players. IMHO, the RB spot is one of those places. Now if we add a Travis Etienne or Najee Harris, that's 4 to 5 years of stellar RB play at a time when they have less mileage and greater durability than a FA, and for a much lower salary. If we need an upgrade at RB, I'd prefer to draft one.

I don't have a problem signing a veteran RB, but my preference is for a draft pick in the mid rounds. Sure, I'm devaluing the RB position ... but that's how I feel about it in today's pass-first NFL. How much of an upgrade is he over the Myles Gaskins and Salvon Ahmed types we have on the roster already? Is he a 7M+ per year upgrade? IMHO, maybe not. He wants 15M per year, but FA RB's get Melvin Gordon type contracts, so he's likely to get under 10M per year, which is the only reason I'm even remotely interested.

Salary cap management means finding those spots where you can get by with cheaper players. IMHO, the RB spot is one of those places. Now if we add a Travis Etienne or Najee Harris, that's 4 to 5 years of stellar RB play at a time when they have less mileage and greater durability than a FA, and for a much lower salary. If we need an upgrade at RB, I'd prefer to draft one.
I would be shocked if he signed with us because I’m sure he’ll get higher offers than Miami...

To be clear, though, he is a HUGE upgrade over our current RBs and would be worth $7-8mil/yr for the next 2-3 years no question...

With that said, I think he’ll get more from someone else or more than we’re willing to pay and I think that would be the right move for both parties - I also prefer to draft one but I wouldn’t be upset if they could get Jones for 3yrs/25mil or something.

Color me in the crowd that isn’t overly impressed by Aaron Jones.

I’d rather draft a rookie and have that player on a 4-5 year rookie deal. Probably get an equal if not better player that way too.

I’ll be much more excited to have Najee, Javonte, Etienne, or Carter than Aaron Jones. And they’ll be cheaper.

This guy is the real deal

Pair him with Gaskin and we have a solid RB group plus it frees up a draft pick for another position of need say LB , DE or OLine

I feel like you are only saying this because you want us to draft a UM guy at 18,36, or 50 instead of a RB. That gives you more chances to get your Cane :CANE:

I've always thought he was good, but I dont ever recall anyone trying to put his name in the lists of the top RB's in the NFL category. According to spotrac his market value is 14.6 million. That puts him making more than Henry and Cook. If he can get his market value, more power to him, but not from us.

If we can get him for NOT 8 figures then I'd maybe be okay with it, but Rosenhaus isnt gonna let that happen. If you put GB's center and their RB side by side and tell me i can have one of the 2 for 12 million a year. I'm probably taking their center and drafting a RB

This would be the dumbest move of the Grier/Flo era by far if we do this. He is not worth 8 million a year much less 10+. Every single friggin year it seems a big time tailback signs a FA deal with a new team and it hardly ever works out. LeVeon Bell is the perfect example of this.

We can draft a tailback and get him way cheaper with less tread on the tires for damn near the same exact production Jones would give us. Please don’t do this Miami.

I’d actually be okay with this depending on the price. Jones is very good and was extremely under used in GB. After watching some GB games this year, they rotated their backs often but Jones was by far the best. My buddy is a packers fan and would always get annoyed with how they under used him. He only has 651 carries in 4 years so his workload is relatively low. He’s also extremely dangerous catching the ball pulling in 475 and 355 on top of 1k rushing the last two seasons. I’d love to draft Najee but by grabbing Jones we could solidify our oline our grab a much need pass rusher with our 2nd 1st/2nds. All depends on the price but if we can get a solid deal, would be a great signing.

Back
Top Bottom