Q: Is offensive line depth the Dolphins' biggest weakness? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Q: Is offensive line depth the Dolphins' biggest weakness?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
from ASK ALEX!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/

A: Offensive line depth is a major concern at tackle, as the Dolphins have no backup who has ever played an offensive snap in the NFL. Greg Jerman (pictured) shows potential to become a decent backup for right tackle Todd Wade. But Jerman's lack of footspeed doesn't bode well if he has to play left tackle. That responsibility would likely fall to 2003 third-round draft pick Wade Smith, but he probably isn't ready for action considering he only played the position for two years in college. Expect the Dolphins to scour the waiver wire for a veteran tackle as the preseason unfolds. At this point in his career, Richmond Webb would be a last-ditch option. ... http://www.sun-sentinel.com/finsinsider
clear.gif
Love Jermans doo :lol:

Bait and Switch ? :lol:

They didn't waste time shavin the rooks,lol did they? I think the O/L is our biggest weakness too. I am still wondering why they didn't really address this in the offseason.:confused: :(

They may have been able to if it didn't take so long to sign Zach Thomas to an extension. That's when enough cap space was freed up to add Seau, Griese, and Knight and for the draft choice amortization. There were a few FA OL that could have been helpful and allowed Dixon to shift inside to G. One or more of the above would likely be playing elsewhere.......Psst! It's called "cap jail"

Last edited by a moderator:
The rookies appear to be keepers. The problem is asking Wade Smith to start at OLT in the NFL after limited experience at that position at a second tier college.

Maybe an alternative would be to switch Todd Wade over to OLT if Dixon goes down and start Jerman at the less demanding ORT position. Otherwise, the TE will be staying to pass block again...

Originally posted by M-REAL
Well sh** man, cap jail sucks!

If one of your starting OTs go down for an extended period of time, I guarantee many of you will be complaining that ya didn't do more w.r.t. the OL.

1. we should sign Rich Webb symbolically so he can retire a Phin since he should retire it seems
  2. Smith may be OK at LT you never know - experience is not as important as having the tools 1 on 1, but for blitzes, you are right we'll a back or TE over there
    [/list=1]

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

If one of your starting OTs go down for an extended period of time, I guarantee many of you will be complaining that ya didn't do more w.r.t. the OL.

How about if your starting QB goes down? Or your starting WR?
Or London Fletcher? Or a starting CB?

Depth is a problem for every team in the entire NFL.

At some point every team is likely to need an unproven player to step up.

.......Psst! It's called "cap jail"

Your spiel gets old. They just didn't think any of the OT's were worth more then $3.5 mil a season. What the Saints paid Gandy was pure stupidity.

You want to talk OT. How about if Bledsoe or Moulds goes down for you guys. Or Spikes or either of your CB's.

All you can nail the phins on is OT depth. Wanna start talking about Bills depth? Didn't think so.

Originally posted by zachseau13

How about if your starting QB goes down? Or your starting WR?
Or London Fletcher? Or a starting CB?

Depth is a problem for every team in the entire NFL.

At some point every team is likely to need an unproven player to step up.

We have a #2 QB who started a whole season

We have a #2 MLB who started a whole season

We have experienced CBs who have started games in the NFL

Hoping someone unproven steps on the OL? :lol:

We have a #2 QB who started a whole season

We have a #2 MLB who started a whole season

We have experienced CBs who have started games in the NFL

Hoping someone unproven steps on the OL? :lol:

Does that make them any better then unproven guys cause they played a whole season? I think not. You guys had to upgrade on them in the first place.

Last I checked we had a guy come in as the #3 WR who was completely unproven by the name of Chris Chambers. I remember a guy who started LB for the Steelers completely unproven by the name of Bell. Unproven guys come in everywhere in the NFL. How do they get proven unless you give them playing time. So coming in here and smacking a BACKUP it just silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Your spiel gets old. They just didn't think any of the OT's were worth more then $3.5 mil a season. What the Saints paid Gandy was pure stupidity.

You want to talk OT. How about if Bledsoe or Moulds goes down for you guys. Or Spikes or either of your CB's.

All you can nail the phins on is OT depth. Wanna start talking about Bills depth? Didn't think so.

We actually have better overall team depth than the Fins

There were other FA OTs that wouldn't have cost that much

We actually have better overall team depth than the Fins

There were other FA OTs that wouldn't have cost that much

LMAO. Now I know you've lost it.

Back
Top Bottom