QB Comparison: Tua vs Goff | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Comparison: Tua vs Goff

Uh Goff has like 5 playoffs wins guys not 2
Yep, got to a superbowl and two nfc championship games also. That's not easy and pretty good. Especially with him taking a lions team that hasn't had success in a long time and to get that far. He's had much more success than qbs considered in his tier like dak and kirk, which he's been better at when it matters the most in the playoffs that both have failed. Tua has done well, but he needs to stay healthy and now have playoff success from here. He's young, so there's definitely room for him to grow and improve

Last edited:
ESPNs view is the Goff deal helps Tua's case.....

Could Tua Tagovailoa reset the QB market with his extension?

Miami picked up the fifth-year option on Tagovailoa's rookie contract last spring, so he currently has one year and $23.171 million left on his deal. After making it through a full 2023 season healthy and answering questions about his durability, Tagovailoa is in line for a contract extension. The question is where that extension will land relative to the rest of the market.

His 2020 draft classmates Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts got their big deals last offseason, each coming in north of $50 million per year. Burrow's per-year average of $55 million represents the top of the market. Given his injury history and the fact that he hasn't played in a Super Bowl (and Burrow has), it's hard to see Tagovailoa surpassing Burrow's number. Can he can join the $50 million-per-year club, and if so, how far north of $50 million could he go? Jared Goff's new deal coming in at a reported $53 million per year looks like it'll help Tua's case, as Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence and Jordan Love look on with great interest.

I think Tua is better than Goff but I guess we'll probably find out over the next few seasons. I'm not even huge on Tua (pray he proves me wrong) but I think Goff got extremely lucky in that Rams playoff game. Goff should have had an atrocious endzone interception that would have given the Rams the W, Stafford easily outplayed him.

My opinion, I believe is irrelevant. However, I dont think you can truly compare the 2 QBs. Goff doesn't get hurt, the dude is an ironman. Tua had his first full season last year. One could make an argument that Tua is injury prone.
Goff has a play-off record of 5-4, including one trip to the Super Bowl while Tua is 0-1.
All of this makes no difference because Tua will get paid far more than he has earned cause thats just how it is. I think Tua is worth 35 million a year but he will get 50 million per year at the very least.
I hope this doesnt ruin the team's future because if we cant win with a 20 million a year Tua, how do we win with a 55 million dollar Tua? Think about it for a second...imagine how many key players that is.
Tua will get his massive contract regardless of whether he has earned one (he hasnt).

My opinion, I believe is irrelevant. However, I dont think you can truly compare the 2 QBs. Goff doesn't get hurt, the dude is an ironman. Tua had his first full season last year. One could make an argument that Tua is injury prone.
Goff has a play-off record of 5-4, including one trip to the Super Bowl while Tua is 0-1.
All of this makes no difference because Tua will get paid far more than he has earned cause thats just how it is. I think Tua is worth 35 million a year but he will get 50 million per year at the very least.
I hope this doesnt ruin the team's future because if we cant win with a 20 million a year Tua, how do we win with a 55 million dollar Tua? Think about it for a second...imagine how many key players that is.
Tua will get his massive contract regardless of whether he has earned one (he hasnt).
You are an accountant in real life? Reminds me of a few ppl I know (accountants) that say if you cut back marketing spend you could save a bunch of money. I said if I fired a bunch of accountants I could save even more.

Curious what do you think Daniel Jones is worth?

Already talked about the Lions.

As for Philly, Smith’s highest cap hit the next few years is 20 mil. Brown is between 22-29 mil, and Hurts is between 21-47 over the next four years. Philly is one of those teams that has unlimited money somehow so I don’t understand how they pull it off.
The point is that it can be done because it has been done.

You are an accountant in real life? Reminds me of a few ppl I know (accountants) that say if you cut back marketing spend you could save a bunch of money. I said if I fired a bunch of accountants I could save even more.

Curious what do you think Daniel Jones is worth?
Daniel Jones should be a back up worth 5-10 million a year.
The problem is that there are only a handful of good QBs so there are not enough to go around. Its a serious problem facing the NFL and greatly retracts from the competitive nature of the league. So many teams suck because they dont have a good QB.
So, using my own logic, Tua does have a lot of worth because he is a solid QB and better than most.
Regardless, the Dolphins really dont have much of a choice, we gotta pay him.
That doesnt change that the value just isnt there in compare to QBs that are, in some cases, far better for nearly the same money. There is a log jam at the top of the income bracket for QBs that has a ridiculously wild range of value all making the same amount.
It is what it is.

Uh Goff has like 5 playoffs wins guys not 2
Yea I thought something didn’t look right. He was terrible in that Rams SB. I do think they are similar in talent level / ability and it’s a good comp though.

Well we did beat the Rams and the Lions . Who was their quarterback? 🐻

There is nothing to compare. Dan Campbell just did a stand up job coaching and we saw it with us ages ago.
I’m rooting like hell for McDaniel but man did I lobby hard for that guy. Took a lot of heat at the time too :)

Dolphins fan for years. I am not a rah rah guy for players. I am a team fan. But, let's talk about the hot topic one last time.

Expected deal coming Tua's way: Goff just signed a big 4 year $212 million deal, of which $170 mil is guaranteed.

So with that said, lets compare the two on performance over the last two years:

Tua - TD. Int . QB. Ratio / Goff . TD. Int . QB Ratio
54. 22. 102.9 59. 19. 98.6
W - L. 19-11 / 0-1 playoffs . W - L 21-13. / 2-1 playoffs

When looking at bothg you can clearly see how close they are in comparison. Based on this, one could guess that Tua should find a deal coming his way in the range of a 4 year deal from 48 -51 million per year. Dolphins would be smart to front load it and match the guaranteed that Goff got from Detroit.
You really believe that's how its done? Not a prayer.

Tua and his agent don't care about the Lions "team" achievements compared to the Dolphins. They care about the market and where Tua should fit in, based on his individual play and its associate value on an upward trending scale market...and those factors are telling them at least 53-55M per year. And unless the Dolphins want to start all over with a new QB, that's what he'll get.

Back
Top Bottom