Qb Next Year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Qb Next Year

No new QB next year shore up OL and new DC and db coach.

This draft has the makings to be a historical draft on the defensive side. After the last three games I'd hate to miss out on that for another gabbert, Vince young, or ponder to name a few.

Counting on one defensive player in the draft to make a difference is not wise. I dont care how good the draft is. We've had are share of misses too, no need to name them in first round. Plus they can get a QB in second round in this draft.
The point is, there is zero reason to roll with Tannehill next season. None whatsoever.

I'm not for just drafting any QB. Especially when we are more than likely gonna have to mortgage the future this year to get one. Likely finish middle of the pack 13-17. Herbert maybe worth it but the Giants got that locked up. All other guys are probably not even first rounders in a decent draft. This draft gas the makings to be a historical draft on the defensive side. After the last three games I'd hate to miss out on that for another gabbert, Vince young, or ponder to name a few.
I forgot about Ponder.

Even I could see he was not NFL caliber. Not even to hold the clipboard.

It really is an informed gamble to take a QB in the first round.

Counting on one defensive player in the draft to make a difference is not wise. I dont care how good the draft is. We've had are share of misses too, no need to name them in first round. Plus they can get a QB in second round in this draft.
The point is, there is zero reason to roll with Tannehill next season. None whatsoever.

My point is that the ones in the first round this year aren't that special. Herbert maybe. Why would we want to wait until the second in a not so great class to draft one and rely on him to start? I'd rather trade back in this years draft and try to pick up draft capital for next year to make a move for Tua or Fromm. When it comes to QBs I'm not trying to find a sleeper or looking for a value pick. I want to go get the one I want.

Brock would not and could not demand 7-10 Mill per year. If you pick someone other than Ryan to start next year it probably would be in the 5 - 7 Mill range. I am basing that on Bridgewater and the deal he had with the Jets. He was cheap as a backup but in case he would have been the starter he would have received 6 Mill.

I don't know what vet QB is becoming an FA but there are probably several QBs out there who could be a one year replacement. I am opposed to trading anything for a QB unless you declare that QB your future franchise QB. He cannot not come with the baggage of a big salary either. That would eliminate Carr right off the bat. Damaged goods (at this point) and big contract. If you go for a QB in the 2019 or 2020 draft it will be obvious that whoever the QB will be will just be a temporary fix. You are looking at journeyman QBs like Fitzpatrick or Osweiler. If you leave it open for competition you might be able to pry a Bridgewater from the Saints. Right now they may see him as the apparent heir to Brees but the question is how long will Brees still play? If you keep the competition open he may decide to jump ship. But if you say "only as a stop gap" he may just decide to stay put. 5 Mill a year to sit behind Brees for a couple or 3 years is not such a bad deal.

But the most important question you have to ask yourself: is Tannehill worth another year?
Tannehill had a cushy job with us. The job was handed to him and he never had to fight any competition off. From a front office point of view he has been handled with white gloves.

To answer the QB question we need to know the what the FO and Gase think about Tannehill. Three options:
a) the keep treating him with white gloves. In that case we will probably look for a backup who is no risk to him.
b) They tell him to get his **** together because they are getting serious competition at backup and if he doesn't make that next step to expect a benching
c) Dolphins tell him the time has come to part ways.

In case c) the question is how to part ways. He is like Carr - damaged goods with a big contract still. It requires a team which is absolutely desperate for a QB to trade for either Carr or Tannehill. We will be stuck with a 13 Mill cap hit unless we hold him until after June 1 in which case our cap hit will be 7 or 8 Mill. But by then the league will know that we intend to get rid of him and nobody would be willing to trade for him and we just cut him.
If we say goodbye to Tannehill then we probably will be looking for a one or two-year replacement and draft a QB in 2020 the latest. I don't think that we would find a future QB on other teams rosters which are reasonably priced and are cheaply to trade for. I don't see that. The only QB I could think of who might be a possibility would be Bridgewater but I am not sure if he ever turns out to be a franchise QB. Damaged goods but cheap.

In case b): Considering that Tannehill is not what you can call a stellar QB it should not be that hard to find a QB who can compete with him for a year. Right now Osweiler is very much Tannehill-like. For some reason Tannehill has received every excuse in the book over the years and every year I hear that it will take 4-6 games to get the offense in sync (which I call BS) yet those who support Tannehill overlook the play of a backup QB who has never played or practiced with the first teamers (and let's not overlook the fact that two of his top receivers were out in the last game).
I could see Osweiler challenging (with equal amount of practice time) Tannehill in the offseason. I also could see Fitzpatrick challenging Tannehill with equal amount of practice with the first team. And of course I could see Bridgewater as a challenge. But that is not so much of an indication how great these choices are but more an indication of the quality (or lack thereof) we have as a starter. The question would come down to "what if a QB beats out Tannehill". Suddenly you are looking at a 26 Mill dollar backup QB. I am not sure how the FO can explain that one.

Case a): Unfortunately this will be the most likely scenario. All other options would tell everybody: we ****ed up.
Tannehill will receive the white glove treatment again. They will use every excuse in the book (injury, OL etc) to explain why Tannehill is "God's gift to professional football".
They will get a backup just like this year and the years before who will never see a snap with the first team, not in practice, not in preseason, so if Tannehill is injured you throw in a backup who is totally unprepared and we can judge that QB on a 3-game performance with no prep time. That is called: Making a case for Tannehill.

It is one thing having a bumbling and stumbling FO and HC. But it is another for that FO and coach to double down on mistakes rather than correcting these mistakes.

There will be no big offseason moves at QB. They will sign a backup just because you need a backup but it is more to fill the roster. It will be as is next year. Neither Gase nor the FO will admit to a mistake.
It might be a little early but I don't think they will draft a QB in 2020 either.

Brock would not and could not demand 7-10 Mill per year. If you pick someone other than Ryan to start next year it probably would be in the 5 - 7 Mill range. I am basing that on Bridgewater and the deal he had with the Jets. He was cheap as a backup but in case he would have been the starter he would have received 6 Mill.

I don't know what vet QB is becoming an FA but there are probably several QBs out there who could be a one year replacement. I am opposed to trading anything for a QB unless you declare that QB your future franchise QB. He cannot not come with the baggage of a big salary either. That would eliminate Carr right off the bat. Damaged goods (at this point) and big contract. If you go for a QB in the 2019 or 2020 draft it will be obvious that whoever the QB will be will just be a temporary fix. You are looking at journeyman QBs like Fitzpatrick or Osweiler. If you leave it open for competition you might be able to pry a Bridgewater from the Saints. Right now they may see him as the apparent heir to Brees but the question is how long will Brees still play? If you keep the competition open he may decide to jump ship. But if you say "only as a stop gap" he may just decide to stay put. 5 Mill a year to sit behind Brees for a couple or 3 years is not such a bad deal.

But the most important question you have to ask yourself: is Tannehill worth another year?
Tannehill had a cushy job with us. The job was handed to him and he never had to fight any competition off. From a front office point of view he has been handled with white gloves.

To answer the QB question we need to know the what the FO and Gase think about Tannehill. Three options:
a) the keep treating him with white gloves. In that case we will probably look for a backup who is no risk to him.
b) They tell him to get his **** together because they are getting serious competition at backup and if he doesn't make that next step to expect a benching
c) Dolphins tell him the time has come to part ways.

In case c) the question is how to part ways. He is like Carr - damaged goods with a big contract still. It requires a team which is absolutely desperate for a QB to trade for either Carr or Tannehill. We will be stuck with a 13 Mill cap hit unless we hold him until after June 1 in which case our cap hit will be 7 or 8 Mill. But by then the league will know that we intend to get rid of him and nobody would be willing to trade for him and we just cut him.
If we say goodbye to Tannehill then we probably will be looking for a one or two-year replacement and draft a QB in 2020 the latest. I don't think that we would find a future QB on other teams rosters which are reasonably priced and are cheaply to trade for. I don't see that. The only QB I could think of who might be a possibility would be Bridgewater but I am not sure if he ever turns out to be a franchise QB. Damaged goods but cheap.

In case b): Considering that Tannehill is not what you can call a stellar QB it should not be that hard to find a QB who can compete with him for a year. Right now Osweiler is very much Tannehill-like. For some reason Tannehill has received every excuse in the book over the years and every year I hear that it will take 4-6 games to get the offense in sync (which I call BS) yet those who support Tannehill overlook the play of a backup QB who has never played or practiced with the first teamers (and let's not overlook the fact that two of his top receivers were out in the last game).
I could see Osweiler challenging (with equal amount of practice time) Tannehill in the offseason. I also could see Fitzpatrick challenging Tannehill with equal amount of practice with the first team. And of course I could see Bridgewater as a challenge. But that is not so much of an indication how great these choices are but more an indication of the quality (or lack thereof) we have as a starter. The question would come down to "what if a QB beats out Tannehill". Suddenly you are looking at a 26 Mill dollar backup QB. I am not sure how the FO can explain that one.

Case a): Unfortunately this will be the most likely scenario. All other options would tell everybody: we ****ed up.
Tannehill will receive the white glove treatment again. They will use every excuse in the book (injury, OL etc) to explain why Tannehill is "God's gift to professional football".
They will get a backup just like this year and the years before who will never see a snap with the first team, not in practice, not in preseason, so if Tannehill is injured you throw in a backup who is totally unprepared and we can judge that QB on a 3-game performance with no prep time. That is called: Making a case for Tannehill.

It is one thing having a bumbling and stumbling FO and HC. But it is another for that FO and coach to double down on mistakes rather than correcting these mistakes.

There will be no big offseason moves at QB. They will sign a backup just because you need a backup but it is more to fill the roster. It will be as is next year. Neither Gase nor the FO will admit to a mistake.
It might be a little early but I don't think they will draft a QB in 2020 either.
i

Basically this is a long winded book saying there is no better option than thill and Gase and the FO are at fault somehow

It's early, but I'll vote for Teddy Bridgewater right now to compete with Osweiller. Always open to a better option which we'll have to see what opportunities there are. More than open to drafting one as well.

To argue Miami should pay Tannehill $19 mil or even $5 mil is lunacy. Miami is only averaging 15ppg offensively when he plays. Miami is averaging 25ppg behind Brock.

It's early, but I'll vote for Teddy Bridgewater right now to compete with Osweiller. Always open to a better option which we'll have to see what opportunities there are. More than open to drafting one as well.

To argue Miami should pay Tannehill $19 mil or even $5 mil is lunacy. Miami is only averaging 15ppg offensively when he plays. Miami is averaging 25ppg behind Brock.

Come on bridge water? He hasnt played a down in a regular season game in three years. He wasn't that great to begin with. You gonna payhim over his $5 million he makes for the saints. Then you are gonna have to pay Brock too to compete with teddy since he's on a one year deal. Basically zero savings from cutting thill to rely on a guy that at best is lateral move. Think I will pass on that.

The thing Is we NEED to cut Tannehill, Wake, Branch and every other player that Is underperforming with big salary. Then draft replacements or bring average players at a low price. It Is not about who Is going to be the QB next year, but how we can expend those savings. Rams, Eagles and Chiefs have used their CAP space in lots of players, and the reason they could Is they have QBs playing on Rookie deals, we should start investig on lots of players next year and then draft our QB on 2020. There Is no use on having a very expensive QB when we can instead invest on capabble DE, DT, OG, CB and LB. Next year we can go with Fales at QB and Falk on the bench. The goal should be to improve the rest of the team, then on 2020 we do whatever Is necessary to draft our QB and put him with a competitive team, and he will cost little the next 4 years. That Is why Rams, Eagles and Chiefs could do what they did. Of course we would need a new DC for next year and maybe a new coach. Tannehill Is of no use for next season, he would only occupy CAP space that we Will need to start building a team full of good players.

Tank for Tua 2020. As for next year, couldn't care less what they do at the position. Whatever it is, it won't be long term.
As much as I hate the idea of tanking, I really like this idea.

After two decades of not having a legit starting QB, Miami would have one for at least 15 years barring injury and stupidity by the FO.

I agree but in reality it is either 26 Mill (keep), 13 Mill (trade or cut before June 1) or 7.5 Mill (trade or cut post June 1). Now pick your poison. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom