Question From a Lions Fan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question From a Lions Fan

Collins is staying if they can't get a deal. They would lose money against the cap by cutting him, so he would stick around as a veteran presence. IMO 8-9mil a year for a good starting LB'er is not that much. With that being said I get the reluctance to give up draft picks for someone like that. Same with Flowers, he's a good enough player to keep, especially considering the cap hit we would take by cutting him. We would actually save a little bit if we could trade him though and as mentioned before, getting draft capital for him is a plus. Otherwise I think both he and Collins is here for 2021 and Flowers would probably be here for 2022 as well if no trade (probably not Collins).

alright I can see that. But the only way I could see Miami trading for flowers (I don’t think they’d be interested in Collins given his age) would be if we were dumping some bad salary back to you. And I’m a year away at least of saying byron jones is bad salary. Outside of that we don’t have much to dump. Maybe Shaq Lawson but we have an out in a year there too I believe. Folks would say Eric flowers but I think that’s a year away also. Doubt we dump Eric rowe tbis offseason

As a Detroit fan and with everything that's being talked from the front office and head coaches, we know this year is all about purging this roster and building for the future. With that said I wanted to get some opinions from Dolphins fans of a trade idea I floated on a Lions forum. The Dolphins are clearly on the upswing, and if Tua takes a step forward this year you guys should have a real shot at making the playoffs. There are two guys on our roster that I think would make a really good fit for you guys, Trey Flowers and Jamie Collins. Both guys are still playing at a pretty high level (especially Flowers), have played for Flores, would have no trouble fitting into that defense, and happen to fill the most pressing needs on that defense. Plus I do know that Flores had a ton of interest in Flowers in free agency, so you know he is a big fan. For us they do not fit in our long term plans. We are a team looking 2-3 years down the line and Collins would be 33ish by then (and contract would be up) and Flowers contract would be up. As a Lions fan taking a realistic approach, getting their contracts off our books and some draft capital for them is the best long term approach. With the Lions taking on all their dead money from signing bonus's, their base salaries are not crazy for the players they still are. Also you guys would have plenty of cap space to take on their contracts.

I would think as a fan getting Pro Bowl edge rusher who is only 27 (Trey Flowers) would be really enticing. Also getting a LB'er in Collins (31) who is extremely versatile, and coming off a couple pretty good seasons is appealing. That would make you guys really flexible on your approach in the draft filling probably the two biggest defensive needs. So my question is as fans, would you be on board with a move like this? If so what is the most draft capital you would be willing to give up? Is this something that seems way off and has no chance of coming to fruition?

My thought process was the mid second rounder would be reasonable compensation for both sides. You guys would still have your two first rounders, plus that high second. On top of that you guys are in really good position to trade down from #3 and still get a top WR or OT and potentially pick up that second rounder back and more.

Not trying to hurt your feelings but I thought that us trading down would only be possible with you guys. More likely than not you guys are stuck on the idea of drafting someone like Smith. In fact, you guys might even go as far as trading up for him.

Lions Trade Scenario

We trade first round picks
We gather your 3rd from the Rams
We gather 2022 1st round pick.

Lions will then win 2-3 games, and we will end up picking top 10 again.

At this point in the rebuild, just continue building through the draft and be selective in F/A. I think that makes much more sense, than trading for a contract.

Trey Flowers for a 3rd round pick would be acceptable. Zero interest in Collins and his contract.I would rather see the Dolphins draft a young defensive player for that position. Collins also doesn’t fit the age group of players the Dolphins are building their team around.

If he checks out off the field etc than I’m absolutely interested in anything that has to do with him. But if he checks out for you he’s probably gonna check out for other teams also so you playing a dangerous game
Thats why I would definitely be interested in trading 18 and our 2022 1st to aggressively move up from 18 to get him.

Thats why I would definitely be interested in trading 18 and our 2022 1st to aggressively move up from 18 to get him.

couldn’t you do the same for a wr and still get a top 3 option? Id argue you could.

pluck parsons and then come up to get your wr if parsons checked the character box

I'll hit the beehive with this proposition lol.

Three team trade: Detroit, Miami and Houston.

Miami gets: Watson and Detroit's 2022 1st.

Detroit gets: Tua

Houston gets: Miami's 3rd and 18th, Detroit's 7th and Goff.

I'll hit the beehive with this proposition lol.

Three team trade: Detroit, Miami and Houston.

Miami gets: Watson and Detroit's 2022 1st.

Detroit gets: Tua

Houston gets: Miami's 3rd and 18th, Detroit's 7th and Goff.
No thanks. We will keep Tua and all our draft picks. In two years Tua will be as good as Watson and the Dolphins will be a legitimate SB contender.

couldn’t you do the same for a wr and still get a top 3 option? Id argue you could.

pluck parsons and then come up to get your wr if parsons checked the character box
Hey, I am good with that scenario as well. Give me Parsons and one of Smith, Chase, Waddle, or Pitts

DfCSAgWUcAAtx3r.jpg

You got any draft picks?

Hard pass on any Detroit player besides Swift.
I am sure you can go down the line and see alot of Lions players have been hurt.A very high %.

Back
Top Bottom