Quick and Dirty Cap Math | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quick and Dirty Cap Math

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
These are back of the envelope estimations... don't hold me to them.

OTC has us at 13.8m in space, but with 9 players left to be OFFICIALLY accounted. Let me take a crack at that.

First of all, remember that at this time of the year, only the top 51 salaries count, so when we sign the 9 unaccounted players, our 9 cheapest players will cease to count against our cap.

So take the 13.8m, then add the 8.4m that these players no longer absorb to the 13.8, and you get approximately 22.2m. This is the approximate space we have until the signed FAs are added back in.

De'Shawn Hand
Jack Driscoll
Benito Jones
Jordan Poyer
Shaq Barrett
Aaron Brewer
Jody Fortson
Jonathan Harris
Isaiah Wynn.

These 9 will absorb most (or all of this).

Barrett was listed as (up to) 9m, although it is probably more like 6m.
Poyer was listed as 2m.
Brewer was listed as 7m/year, although I bet his first year cost might be as low as 3-4m.
Hand, Jones, and Wynn all signed one year deals. So probably 2-3m each.
Harris and Driscoll? Maybe Robert Jones type money. Maybe 2m each.

With my back of the envelope estimates... that's all of it.

Signing another semi expensive player before the draft? Probably not gonna happen without either restructuring Hill or extending Tua with a low first year cost.

It's Grier

No one has a clue what rabbit he will pull out of his hat next whether or not we have cap space showing

He's done this time and again. If there is a player out there he wants he'll find a way to get him. Book it.

Might even be a trade as we have a couple future comp picks

These are back of the envelope estimations... don't hold me to them.

OTC has us at 13.8m in space, but with 9 players left to be OFFICIALLY accounted. Let me take a crack at that.

First of all, remember that at this time of the year, only the top 51 salaries count, so when we sign the 9 unaccounted players, our 9 cheapest players will cease to count against our cap.

So take the 13.8m, then add the 8.4m that these players no longer absorb to the 13.8, and you get approximately 22.2m. This is the approximate space we have until the signed FAs are added back in.

De'Shawn Hand
Jack Driscoll
Benito Jones
Jordan Poyer
Shaq Barrett
Aaron Brewer
Jody Fortson
Jonathan Harris
Isaiah Wynn.

These 9 will absorb most (or all of this).

Barrett was listed as (up to) 9m, although it is probably more like 6m.
Poyer was listed as 2m.
Brewer was listed as 7m/year, although I bet his first year cost might be as low as 3-4m.
Hand, Jones, and Wynn all signed one year deals. So probably 2-3m each.
Harris and Driscoll? Maybe Robert Jones type money. Maybe 2m each.

With my back of the envelope estimates... that's all of it.

Signing another semi expensive player before the draft? Probably not gonna happen without either restructuring Hill or extending Tua with a low first year cost.

Thats what I came up with last week. But then again its Grier so who knows.... We knew some restructures had to be made to afford these contracts. Between Tyreek and Bradley, Chubb's was the easier of the two. And much less problematic moving forward.

It's Grier

No one has a clue what rabbit he will pull out of his hat next whether or not we have cap space showing

He's done this time and again. If there is a player out there he wants he'll find a way to get him. Book it.

He might. We could convert Hill's salary to bonus, and then spend the difference.
But that hasn't been his M.O. so far this season. All of his acquisitions have been on the cheap side... and he's only stepped up and spent on marquee players of high end positions. Chubb, Ramsey, and Hill were all brought in to START and to STAR.

We are now discussing a depth position... 3rd or 4th target (depending on Jonnu). So, I'm thinking that he is bargain hunting, or alternately... waiting until after the draft to see which faded players are still waiting. At this point, 3m might do the trick.

But, like you said, he could surprise, but as I've shown, it would take another restructure or a Tua extension.

Guys, all this "it's grier so he might be up to something" stuff.....you guys seem to be forgetting that he's already gotten more free agents in that any of us thought he would this year. It's not like he's only gotten 3 or 4 guys. He signed 15 players that were not with the team last year and resigned several of our own free agents.

I know anything is possible but I don’t think we should be expecting any more moves at this time, specially any big moves. I'm sure they'll see where we at after the draft but for now, I'd only expect a cheap player if we get one more

I think you can argue, he's looking towards 2025. Because he'll have a decent amount of cap space. Can add more via Armstead getting released, a Tyreek Hill extension or release and a possible Chubb release. Plus he'll have 11 draft picks, and could potentially add to that, if he makes some draft day trade downs next month.

While I agree, he could pull another rabbit out of his hat. I think it's more about 2025, than making a big splash in 2024. He's a shrewd GM.

To add, he went all in last season and while it didn't work out. So he quickly reset, opening up tons of option for the 2025 season.

Last edited:
Yep, the remaining 13.8 mil will cover the people you mention..without seeing their contracts and how they're structured it's hard to tell. I don't see this big signing being discussed, we aren't keeping tabs on the number of people we sign while still at 4 mil. We were 4 mil before Chubb restructure, which wouldn't have cover all the signings we made, so Chubb's restructure is definitely covering the people we just signed.

It's Grier

Not sure why he gets so much grief around here. He’s proven to have gotten bettter over the years and is a pretty savvy operator…

Not sure why he gets so much grief around here. He’s proven to have gotten bettter over the years and is a pretty savvy operator…
Not gonna lie, Im beyond shocked at the off-season we've had. Year after after year Grier astonishes me. I thought we we're going to have an awful off-season because we were 50 million over the cap which truly translates to 60 million over the cap just to sign our next draft class. Grier has my respect, period!!! I think we have more quality depth in 2024 than we've had in a very long time. Not only are we signing starters, we are stacking our depth chart with quality players. I've quite excited for 2024! FINS UP!

Last edited:

Injuries has a lot to do with it. Just bad luck when it comes to that than anything...of course he does tend to go risk vs reward on guys that have been subject to injuries...

It's Grier

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom