Quick and Dirty Cap Math | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quick and Dirty Cap Math

Guys, all this "it's grier so he might be up to something" stuff.....you guys seem to be forgetting that he's already gotten more free agents in that any of us thought he would this year. It's not like he's only gotten 3 or 4 guys. He signed 15 players that were not with the team last year and resigned several of our own free agents.

I know anything is possible but I don’t think we should be expecting any more moves at this time, specially any big moves. I'm sure they'll see where we at after the draft but for now, I'd only expect a cheap player if we get one more
I agree, the plan is clear, based on what he has done so far this year. - LOL

He might. We could convert Hill's salary to bonus, and then spend the difference.
But that hasn't been his M.O. so far this season. All of his acquisitions have been on the cheap side... and he's only stepped up and spent on marquee players of high end positions. Chubb, Ramsey, and Hill were all brought in to START and to STAR.

We are now discussing a depth position... 3rd or 4th target (depending on Jonnu). So, I'm thinking that he is bargain hunting, or alternately... waiting until after the draft to see which faded players are still waiting. At this point, 3m might do the trick.

But, like you said, he could surprise, but as I've shown, it would take another restructure or a Tua extension.
I hope we don't make a huge acquisition. Keep adding solid role players.

I think you can argue, he's looking towards 2025. Because he'll have a decent amount of cap space. Can add more via Armstead getting released, a Tyreek Hill extension or release and a possible Chubb release. Plus he'll have 11 draft picks, and could potentially add to that, if he makes some draft day trade downs next month.

While I agree, he could pull another rabbit out of his hat. I think it's more about 2025, than making a big splash in 2024. He's a shrewd GM.

To add, he went all in last season and while it didn't work out. So he quickly reset, opening up tons of option for the 2025 season.

I agree!

FWIW we've added 15 new players so far this off season.........we have 6 picks in the draft so if all of those guys were to make the team(I'm sure some won’t) that's 21 new players out of 53 which means 39.6% of the roster would be new players.

Now I know at least some of the lower tier free agents probably won’t make the team but that's still a lot of new faces and keep in mind that many of those guys are on a one year deal so 2025 could see just as much turnover, specially with possibly having 11 picks in that draft.

Jody Fortson has been added.

He came in at vet minimum, but we guaranteed just over 400k of his contract.

So, as long as he makes the team, he doesn't really cost us anything. If he's cut, he has the 400k negative impact.

Either way, he's pretty much free. I ignored him in my original post.

It seems like they are really slow walking these contracts to the league office. It makes me wonder if something is going on or is this just the pace of doing business.

It seems like they are really slow walking these contracts to the league office. It makes me wonder if something is going on or is this just the pace of doing business.
I think part of it is we've gotten a lot of contracts done....not only 15 new players but also they ones we've brought back so it takes a bit of time to get it all done plus the NFL office is busy too with every team doing all these deals.....so that could be a part of it

The one thing that has me extremely excited about 2025, is the draft. As of now Miami has 11 picks, hopefully they add to that.

In 2025 the draft from initial research, appears to be well stocked on defense. So far, from what I've read, it appears loaded at the Edge and CB positions and there has been mentions of a few LB's, as well. On offense the QB postion is top heavy with potentially 3-4 first round types. But the good news is the RB postion looks to be loaded. I've not seen much written about the DT, Oline and WR's yet, so I'm not able to say how stocked those postion will be, at this time. Although a few names at DT and Oline have come up.

I'm mentioning this now, because I truly believe Grier was looking to 2025 when he allowed all of these players to walk. I think the needs match up with the strengths of next years draft. I'm not as down on the the work the F/O did during the 2024 off-season. I'm looking forward. Even if it turns out to be a transition year for the team.

Lastly as of now Miami will be approximately $50m under the cap, next season with potentially a rollover close to $20m and still having Armstead and Chubb's contracts to jettison, leaving Miami with a solid amount of cap space to absorb Tua's new deal and sign some players.

Last edited:
These are back of the envelope estimations... don't hold me to them.

OTC has us at 13.8m in space, but with 9 players left to be OFFICIALLY accounted. Let me take a crack at that.

First of all, remember that at this time of the year, only the top 51 salaries count, so when we sign the 9 unaccounted players, our 9 cheapest players will cease to count against our cap.

So take the 13.8m, then add the 8.4m that these players no longer absorb to the 13.8, and you get approximately 22.2m. This is the approximate space we have until the signed FAs are added back in.

De'Shawn Hand
Jack Driscoll
Benito Jones
Jordan Poyer
Shaq Barrett
Aaron Brewer
Jody Fortson
Jonathan Harris
Isaiah Wynn.

These 9 will absorb most (or all of this).

Barrett was listed as (up to) 9m, although it is probably more like 6m.
Poyer was listed as 2m.
Brewer was listed as 7m/year, although I bet his first year cost might be as low as 3-4m.
Hand, Jones, and Wynn all signed one year deals. So probably 2-3m each.
Harris and Driscoll? Maybe Robert Jones type money. Maybe 2m each.

With my back of the envelope estimates... that's all of it.

Signing another semi expensive player before the draft? Probably not gonna happen without either restructuring Hill or extending Tua with a low first year cost.
Yeah locked on dolphins did a breakdown today he was estimating were around 1.5 to 2 mill in available space. We'd likely need to make 1 more move cut a guy or extend Long to be able to make a move so I don't think it's a definite but if there is a guy they like at the right price they have some flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom