Quick and Dirty Cap Math | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quick and Dirty Cap Math

There's still a bit to play out here. The two most obvious cap moves have not been made yet.

Extension for Tua, which will allow them to free up some of his $23m base owed for 5th year option. We expect this to happen but not sure when.

The other one is more interesting being the restructure of Tyreek. This looked to be the lowest hanging fruit when it came to freeing up cap room. Nothing being done yet does raise a few queries (or conspiracy theories). It's possible this would have happened of Wilkins and/or Hunt had agreed to terms to stay. Once they had moved on we no longer had to find the cash for these big ticket FAs.

Another consideration is whether they want to keep some flexibility with Tyreek's contract for the longer term. Right now he's got no guaranteed money beyond 2024. Our only cap commitment after that is his prorated roster bonus. His recent off field issues are relatively minor in isolation, however they're starting to pile up a bit. He's got some history and there's potential for this to blow up further. By having him stay on his current deal we're only committed to next season so have contingency. Also keep in mind Waddle is coming off his rookie deal soon and will be seeking an extension on significant coin. Just reading the tea leaves here but holding back on Tyreek restructure could be a strategic move.

I made one error with my initial post; I did not include Berrios. I did not recognize that he was not on the chart anywhere.

So... adding in Berrios, we are still at 9 players who are unrecorded.
Spotrac still has these guys listed without a contract. They have 10 left.

Screenshot_20240320_211638.jpg

Isaiah Wynn:

One year, 1.6m.

Cutting Wynn after camp would leave 1m in dead cap. We likely ponied up guaranteed money to get him to take a lower offer.

Back
Top Bottom