Quinn | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quinn

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/football/nfl/cleveland_browns/17538520.htm

What a piece of work. QUinn, you were the 22nd pick despite how good your moma may think you are. You can expect #22 pick money for a QB. Quit your whining.

yeah...I'm sure it's all Quinn's idea. I'm sure his agent isn't in his ear telling him that he can get him paid more. :rolleyes:

It's fine that we passed on Quinn....but can we at least wait a year or two before we claim victory?? If Quinn turns out to be a Pro Bowl passer...will anyone remember that he had some unreasonable contract expectations as a rookie?

yeah...I'm sure it's all Quinn's idea. I'm sure his agent isn't in his ear telling him that he can get him paid more. :rolleyes:

It's fine that we passed on Quinn....but can we at least wait a year or two before we claim victory?? If Quinn turns out to be a Pro Bowl passer...will anyone remember that he had some unreasonable contract expectations as a rookie?

Precisely!!!:beer1:

Oh I don't doubt that a lot of this is coming from his agent, but it's sure making Quinn look bad.....and it wouldn't be any different if he were a Dolphin. Do you think he'd be in camp yet for us either? Yes I know Ginn isn't in camp yet either....

On the other hand, Beck is working his tail off learning the system. Only time will tell if passing on Quinn was truly the right thing, but I certainly like not having to deal with his primadona attitude.

Oh I don't doubt that a lot of this is coming from his agent, but it's sure making Quinn look bad.....and it wouldn't be any different if he were a Dolphin. Do you think he'd be in camp yet for us either? Yes I know Ginn isn't in camp yet either....

On the other hand, Beck is working his tail off learning the system. Only time will tell if passing on Quinn was truly the right thing, but I certainly like not having to deal with his primadona attitude.

Exactly

I don't look at this as any kind of negative on Quinn. I didn't think it was anything negatve on Ronnie Brown, Jason Allen, etc.

This is the time for them to trust their agent and let him work the best deal possible as they begin their professional career. Is it better for their progress as a player to be in camp on time? Of course. But how much? by this time next year, will he be able to catch up on what he missed? Of course. But leaving millions on the table? When can you be sure that he'll ever be able to make that up?

It's a game to you and I...so of course we want to see rookies just sign a contract and play. But to the players and their agents...it's business, and they need to make the most of it, because a lot of players never see a second big pay day.

Is there anything else to this primadona attitude you're talking about?

I'm sorry, but I think too many people are reading into Quinn having not yet signed yet, when this is very common these days. It seems like every year heading into camp there's 3 or 4 high profile rookies who have yet to get a deal done yet with their respective teams. It doesn't make these guys bad guys, its just the nature of the business.

The agents are their to represent the player's best interest. They're going to try and get as much money as possible. I haven't read anywhere where Quinn has said anything negative about the Browns organization yet, so how can people call him a bad guy. It's too early to tell whether passing on Quinn was a good idea or not, but IMO if you have a chance to get a Franchise quarterback you have to take it.

I don't look at this as any kind of negative on Quinn. I didn't think it was anything negatve on Ronnie Brown, Jason Allen, etc.

This is the time for them to trust their agent and let him work the best deal possible as they begin their professional career. Is it better for their progress as a player to be in camp on time? Of course. But how much? by this time next year, will he be able to catch up on what he missed? Of course. But leaving millions on the table? When can you be sure that he'll ever be able to make that up?

It's a game to you and I...so of course we want to see rookies just sign a contract and play. But to the players and their agents...it's business, and they need to make the most of it, because a lot of players never see a second big pay day.

Is there anything else to this primadona attitude you're talking about?

I never said he should not listen to his agent. I agree he needs to make sure he is set due to how contract in the NFL work. But I do think just because he could have gone in the top ten, doesn't mean he should get paid for it. He went #22, that is how he should get paid. That is how it works.
[SIZE=+0]What is the argument, that he will someday be the starting QB for the Browns, so he should get paid like a starter? So what. Beck will one day be our starter, I didn't see him hold out, and ask for the big money. [/SIZE]
The point is, Quinn is use to being the guy, and sad thing is, in the NFL he is not. That is the primadonna attitude I am talking about. He has a big head, maybe all the pre Draft magazines with his picture on them went to his head. He failed to win the big games in college, even with ND playing almost every game over his career on national TV, and getting very favorable BSC bowl births. He has been over hyped his whole career. Because of this hype, he want the money. And as for the leaving millions on the table, the guy had endorsements lining up as he walked off the field for the last time in college. So I really don't feel sorry for him.
I personally loved the look on his face draft day when he was so sad, he had to go to a private room so he could cry.

If I'm Brady Quinn I realize something. I became an absolute media darling to the NFL fan base and most importantly the Cleveland Brown fan base with the way the NFL Draft shaped up. Why screw that up? I have a chance to be, if I play well and get the Browns franchise back to respectability a la Peyton, to be with the likes of Manning and Brady at the forefront of the image of the NFL. Why ruin that?

I understand that the agent handles all of these contractual things. But, if I'm Brady Quinn, I tell myself I want an agent who will get me into camp while getting me a fair deal. I tell Condon, even if I wouldn't have hired him, that my main goal is to be in camp on time. If I play well, I'm going to get paid. Why ruin that? I just don't understand. I've talked to a few professional athlete friends of mine about it---and I'll be honest the business of professional sports is so cuthroat that most people can't imagine---but if I'm Brady Quinn, I'm falling in the draft, I'm drafted by the fanbase I loved as a child, they give up so much to get me, I have a great image right now (Notre Dame, a draft darling, etc.), I want to get in on that and get to camp in time and whatnot. Reggie Bush did a heckuva job doing that last year. Admist the allegations of him at USC, he utilized being in New Orleans helped that community out and let his game do the talking...Quinn should follow suit.

gotta have sympathy for the browsn they got two first rounders who want top ten money IMO only joe thomas should get that amount and they havent even signed eric wright yet their second rounder good luck to them... there gonna need it looks like we got the right quarterback cuz know for sure if we picked him at nine he wouldnt be close to a deal cuz no one else in the top ten is and hes gonna want money like them i think ted ginn is just thankful and is a little more leneint with the amount hes gonna get

I never said he should not listen to his agent. I agree he needs to make sure he is set due to how contract in the NFL work. But I do think just because he could have gone in the top ten, doesn't mean he should get paid for it. He went #22, that is how he should get paid. That is how it works.
[SIZE=+0]What is the argument, that he will someday be the starting QB for the Browns, so he should get paid like a starter? So what. Beck will one day be our starter, I didn't see him hold out, and ask for the big money. [/SIZE]
The point is, Quinn is use to being the guy, and sad thing is, in the NFL he is not. That is the primadonna attitude I am talking about. He has a big head, maybe all the pre Draft magazines with his picture on them went to his head. He failed to win the big games in college, even with ND playing almost every game over his career on national TV, and getting very favorable BSC bowl births. He has been over hyped his whole career. Because of this hype, he want the money. And as for the leaving millions on the table, the guy had endorsements lining up as he walked off the field for the last time in college. So I really don't feel sorry for him.
I personally loved the look on his face draft day when he was so sad, he had to go to a private room so he could cry.

the agent is playing the 'top10' card...not Quinn. Of course he won't get top-10 money...nor should he. But it might get him a somewhat more money than he otherwise would have at that spot.

Again, I just don't see all the other 'primadona' stuff. He was invited to the draft because everyone thought he'd get picked high....then had to sit there and watch his fall down the draft board with millions watching his every move. Wouldn't you want out of that spotlight?

Do I think the media makes too big a deal of him? Yeah....but is that his fault?

Here is more of the "primadona" for you.

News: Quinn's holdout could last a lot longer than expected, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Spin: Although the notion of Quinn missing all of 2007 and either re-entering the draft next year or being traded by the Browns is highly speculative, it is a possibility. His demands appear to be out of sync for a player selected in his spot (overall 22) in last spring's draft. Various reports have the Quinn side expecting better than 22nd-pick money, the reasoning being that teams had Quinn rated in the draft's top 10. The Browns always have been careful to say they rated Quinn 22nd, meaning they intend to pay him like the 22nd pick. We will continue to monitor this story.

Jul. 25, 3:10 PM ET

way to win over your team and fans their brady...

Back
Top Bottom