Raiders kicker Carlson | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raiders kicker Carlson

You need a hug?
I wasn’t insulting anyone or being confrontational just stating facts.
If you think Sanders is playing to his salary as one if the top kickers in the NFL then there is nothing left to discuss.
Hope he turns it around and hits 20 straight….for all our sakes.
Not sure who you are referring to with the ‘you need a hug?’ (You might want to actually quote who you are referring to), but I sure as hell haven’t said anything to deserve that crack.

Gano 4/4 on 50+ Fgs
Tucker 4/4
Maher 4/5
Boswell 4/5
Zurlein 3/3
Santos 3/3
McPherson 3/3

And many more are making 50 yd FGs more often than not. Misses happen yes but we need more of these made from sanders too. Granted Sanders has only had 2 attempts with one block but going back to last year he’s struggled with anything over 50 yards
I agree that he has to be better. But cherry picking guys who have made them this year isn’t really an honest argument. Statistically, an average NFL kicker has been around 60 percent from 54 yards. Justin Tucker is the best kicker in the game and he’s at 75% for his career from 50+. 50 yarders are definitely made more often than not….but no one is surprised when 50 yarders are missed. They aren’t automatic.

And the Chiefs nobody kicker just hit a 59-yarder.
I don’t know what make % is for 50+ but I bet it’s around 70%. I don’t know what changed as 50+ yarders used to be below 50% make probability - is it the kicking balls or something? Kickers taking PEDs now? I mean guys are hitting from 60+ too

I agree that he has to be better. But cherry picking guys who have made them this year isn’t really an honest argument. Statistically, an average NFL kicker has been around 60 percent from 54 yards. Justin Tucker is the best kicker in the game and he’s at 75% for his career from 50+. 50 yarders are definitely made more often than not….but no one is surprised when 50 yarders are missed. They aren’t automatic.

The 50 yard FG is not the giant it used to be.

I agree, people may not be surprised if a 50 yard FG is missed.

But.... many are not surprised when they're made these days.

7 kickers are 25/27 this year. Carlson was 2 for 2 tonight.

It's a little more than cherry picking these days.

2020 is why he got paid. He was a top kicker in 2020. He made 2nd team all pro and then got a nice raise. He’s been mediocre ever since.
Prior to 2020, he was 16 of 24 from 40+…..67%. Miami paid him based on a 2020 season that looked to be an aberration. His kicking now is pretty in line the first two years of his career (he’s been better from 40-49 but worse from 50+). I’m just saying if there is an issue, it’s with Dolphins paying him that salary, not with Sanders getting paid. He’s pretty much the same kicker he was in 2018-19. Paying kickers or punters based on single seasons of success is a mistake.

I don’t know what make % is for 50+ but I bet it’s around 70%. I don’t know what changed as 50+ yarders used to be below 50% make probability - is it the kicking balls or something? Kickers taking PEDs now? I mean guys are hitting from 60+ too
Could be the kicking balls. Or it could be kickers actually focusing on being in shape, etc. A lot of kickers are jacked these days. You never saw that 15-20 years ago.

Could be the kicking balls. Or it could be kickers actually focusing on being in shape, etc. A lot of kickers are jacked these days. You never saw that 15-20 years ago.
Could be - I don’t know how much physical strength plays in though. Whatever it is, they might want to make the posts narrower soon

I found an article that tracked it from 2017 to 2020; the averages for each year were 69% in 2017, 64% in 2018, 4
59% in 2019, and 64% in 2020. Total number of attempts was consistent, about 150 per year, with total accuracy being 64%.

Could be - I don’t know how much physical strength plays in though. Whatever it is, they might want to make the posts narrower soon
Have to assume physical strength has an impact. The leg whip, the speed of it…more powerful should equal more distance. Just an assumption, though.

I found an article that tracked it from 2017 to 2020; the averages for each year were 69% in 2017, 64% in 2018, 4
59% in 2019, and 64% in 2020. Total number of attempts was consistent, about 150 per year, with total accuracy being 64%.
Nice, thanks. Even at 65% that’s a pretty good proposition.

The 50 yard FG is not the giant it used to be.

I agree, people may not be surprised if a 50 yard FG is missed.

But.... many are not surprised when they're made these days.

7 kickers are 25/27 this year. Carlson was 2 for 2 tonight.

It's a little more than cherry picking these days.
6 guys are 4 of 14.

Sanders had ONE good year and got paid. Him getting paid didn’t make him a better kicker. The Dolphins paying him that much is a front office issue. There was nothing to suggest before 2020 that Sanders was ever going to maintain that success.

Nice, thanks. Even at 65% that’s a pretty good proposition.
It is. Basically you are looking at about a 2/3rds proposition with slight adjustments as you go back farther from 50 yards. But I don’t get the notion that is a “gimmee” distance. No one is surprised when a quarterback that completes 65% of his passes has an incompletion.

Again, Sanders hasn’t been good. If he doesn’t improve, he won’t keep his job, whether it be this year or next.

Have to assume physical strength has an impact. The leg whip, the speed of it…more powerful should equal more distance. Just an assumption, though.
Same with punters, IMO. Not sure about average punt distance but I believe it is up.

If you lose a game due to a missed FG, it’s demoralizing but it’s whats earned if your strategy/hope is to win with/by FGs.

The team played tough there for a bit even after knowing they’re down to a 3rd string QB. And perhaps those 3 points do deflate the Jets a bit and we rough another one out.

Unlikely, though. Was anyone hearing the hits on the field? I don’t know if they’ve done something to the sound on the broadcast (my tv is nothing to write home about) but I was hearing wallop after wallop. Man, these fokin guys are the real gladiators of our time and these stadiums are truly coliseums.

I digress. The Jets showed up TOUGH on a Dolphins team leaking blood in the water. That’s all it was.

Plus, I’m not too bitter about still being in the game for a lot longer than we should have been seeing as we were playing versus the Jets AND THE FOKING LEAGUE MEMO “CALL EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON MIAMI” with- I can’t even remember our kids name at QB.

I can’t remember when I’ve seen a safety called on a QB taking a hit AS HE IS ATTEMPTING A PASS and the ball obviously doesn’t get to its target. The arm was affected. That’s not intentional grounding. AND THE FOKING CHERRY- there is an eligible receiver in the area of the ball.

It was sooo evident that the fix was in that I looked at my friends and told them “this is going to happen all day. I can feel it.” I went from being a negative Nancy to the smartest Karen in the room.

This is the first time I stopped drinking on a Sunday because the dread was so overwhelming that it physically made me nauseous. I don’t know whether I’d rather be bad because that’s the business of the NFL sometimes or because WE ARE FOKIN CURSED. I’d rather be able to blame something like a front office but man this curse is looking more and more serious.

Whatever, bro. WTF can we really do but pray for Tua to get back to us soon? 2-2, 2-1 in the division. It’s been the life of a Dolphins fan my age- in the mix always but so far from the elite we have suffered so much to deserve.

It’s always something and even when it smells like roses, you gotta look around for the flag before you can even consider celebrating. :WHISTLE: 🎗”Being a Dolphins diehard!” Lifelong penalty! Repeat gut-wrenching season.”

Just made a stress free 53 and 51 yarder, I’m not posting this to say I told you so, I’m just saying these kicks have to be made, the good ones make them on the regular now, that’s a fact.
Tell me, how was the wind in that stadium tonight? Cause it was fairly nasty in Jersey yesterday. Usually is.

Back
Top Bottom