Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
There are a number of VG young QB's who came out of the draft between 2008 and 2012.

2012- Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Foles, and Wilson.

2011- Newton, Dalton, and CK.

2010- Bradford

2009- Stafford

2008- Ryan and Flacco.

From what you have seen so far, which ones would you rather have as the QB of the Dolphins?

Luck without question, and Wilson I would as well (yes he has that defense, but he also has 52 TDs to 19 INTs for his career).

Foles we don't know, if he performs at the same level as last year than he is a no brainer.

After that the list gets tricky. Flacco is decent when his defense is there to bail him out, and he stepped up bigtime in the postseason during their Superbowl run much like Eli Manning, but the lack of consistency leaves me meh on him. Ryan/Stafford/Bradford have shown some flashes, but none have succeeded to the point at which I'd say YES I WANT THAT GUY.

Dalton I have no interest in, and Newton is a great athlete and good QB but I'm not blown away by him either. And I don't really like Kap at all, outside of his ability to evade tacklers.

So right now I'd take Luck, Wilson, and perhaps Foles depending upon what we find out about him this year.

Luck, Wilson, Newton, CK, Ryan, Flacco

Stafford is an idiot
Bradford is not that good
Dalton is the reason Cincy will never make a deep playoff run
I'm not an RG3 fan at all

It would be really interesting who Lazor prefers deep down, Foles or Tannehill. On finheaven it's a no brainer but I'd be curious to know what he really thinks in reality. Basicially I wonder if he feels he's working with a better or worse QB now than he had last year. I think that would be very interesting.

Taking scheme, coaching, and supporting cast out of the equation, here's my ranking based on pure QB skills:

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
Sam Bradford
Colin Kaepernick
Nick Foles
Mike Glennon
Andy Dalton
Robert Griffin
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Geno Smith

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are not "young QBs" so they are not on my list.

Luck
Stafford
Tannehill
Wilson
Foles
Newton
RGIII
Bradford
Dalton
Kaep

Wouldn't want anyone else

Ryan and Flacco are Veterans by now. Maybe move Stafford to the veteran list also.

All things considered, have to agree on Luck. When you consider surrounding talent, Luck went through some of the same as RT, and did well, as did RT. Can't say the same on the others. Ryan and Flacco kind of faltered without that talent. I'm happy with RT behind center.

Luck
Stafford
Tannehill
Wilson
Foles
Newton
RGIII
Bradford
Dalton
Kaep

Wouldn't want anyone else

Ryan and Flacco are Veterans by now. Maybe move Stafford to the veteran list also.

Some are more vet than others with more experience. I was looking at QB,s from the draft who are going to be around for at least the next 5 to 10 years.

some of you guys are out there, the only guy you can really make a case for him being better so is Bradford. all the other guys have played at a much higher level than Ryan SO FAR. The question was "from what you have seen so far", there's no way he's not near the bottom of the list of these QBs from what they have all shown so far.

All things considered, have to agree on Luck. When you consider surrounding talent, Luck went through some of the same as RT, and did well, as did RT. Can't say the same on the others. Ryan and Flacco kind of faltered without that talent. I'm happy with RT behind center.

Ryan lost his top 2 WRs and Tannehill had more talent around him last year so while Matt Ryan faltered he still had 26 and 17 while Ryan Tannehill had 24 and 17. Flacco had his first bad year after a spectacular run to help his team win a SB, it's ok to have an off year but all thins equal Ryan isn't close to Flacco.

Ryan lost his top 2 WRs and Tannehill had more talent around him last year so while Matt Ryan faltered he still had 26 and 17 while Ryan Tannehill had 24 and 17. Flacco had his first bad year after a spectacular run to help his team win a SB, it's ok to have an off year but all thins equal Ryan isn't close to Flacco.

Oh we forgot to add Mark Sanchez to the discussion....he's won more playoff games than any QB on that list so he needs to be at the top. And Geno Smith, well he's just awesome by default. Him and Sanchez will rule the world in 2023.

hate to agree with any jets fan but tannehill has proven to be slightly better than average so far and that gets us nowhere. almost every qb on that list has made the playoffs but bradford and tannehill. all the yapping about his physical tools and his protypical size is starting to get real old real fast.

Luck, no question about it, but you only get the first pick in the draft if you are the worst team... :d-day:

This year will be very interesting. How will Ryan show up in Lazor's offense.

I didn't see Foles do anything that Ryan can't physically do last year.

The big mark against him was his mobility, Ryan's mobility is one of his strengths.

The question that will make it clear is which one will do better this year, Foles or Tannehill.

I think coaching is one of the biggest determinants in how well QB's do.

Had we drafted Brees either time he would not have been anywhere near as good as he turned out to be is my bet.

Right or wrong this is just my opinion>>>>>

1. Wilson: Yes he is being helped hugely by the system, but the big thing is he is succeeding, until he fails, or someone looks better, he has to be #1 among the young guys. One big knock is, he does need to be able to move around to be effective, if he were forced to stay in the pocket, he would not be nearly as effective.

2. Luck: It's only a matter of time before he will be #1, but he does still show moments of being a young player.

3. CK: Somewhat inconsistent, could be a bit one dimensional, but he continues to be effective. Like Wilson, force him to stay in the pocket, you can slow the offense considerably.

4. Foles: Coming out of college it was known this guy did have huge pass abilities, but because how horribly he moves, and unknown how he would handle the NFL, nobody really wanted to take a chance on him in the 1st, but last years he proved to be a very dependable smart QB, was system? Did Lazor actually responsible in getting the most out of him? We will see, but he does need to prove it this coming year, or in my eye, huge drop on the young guys.

5. Newton: Tends to be pretty up and down as the season goes along, but he does have some good talent, and can destroy your defense at any given time.

6. Flacco: Had a horrible season last year, but during his career, he has shown to always do more then enough to get his team in the playoffs, and then become one of the best when in post-season.

7. Tannehill: Some may say he does not deserve to be this high, but if you watched last years season, before the O-line totally collapsed, Tannehill was looking even better then the great Andrew Luck. He was also forced 2 years in a row by Sherman to stay in the pocket, even though his his stats made him look worse then he could have, I will give Sherman credit that in the future it will make him a better pocket passer. As far as passing on the move, every time they allowed him to move left or right, I always knew it would be completed or dropped by the receiver. Give Tannehill some blocking, and what this guy will do might surpass even the biggest Tannehill supporter.

8. Ryan: A good QB, but because unlike all the QBs ahead of him (Including Tannehil), is not close to the same QB when all his endless amounts of weapons are no around to make him look better then he really is, and let us not forget once they reach the post-season, the team is known to be within 1 game of failure, and Ryan choking.

9. Bradford: He does just enough to make Lion fans feel like they could be in for a great season, but then for one reason or another (Inconsistency or Injury) he starts to tail off from how he started the season. You also have to wonder how much is Bradford, and how much is Megatron just making him look better.

10. RG3: Of all the Athletic QBs in the NFL, he is by far the most athletic, and the one that most needs to be able to move around and run with the ball to be successful. He is very smart, but because of how good he has been athletically, he is also the one that will least succeed in the pocket.

11. Dalton: He every year starts off well, then goes into inconsistency mode, he is also if all the young QBs, the one with the least amount of talent and look to be a franchise QB. Maybe not as bad, but he reminds me of Mark buttfumble, has some accomplishments, but far more failures and holes in his game.

Back
Top Bottom