Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

Tannehill has not impressed me yet. All signs, as of now, point to a mediocre QB. And in the modern NFL, you don't win with mediocre QB's unless Ray Lewis is on your payroll.

The lack of love for Kaepernick is bonkers. He was the entire SF offense in the NFC Championship, and he almost pulled out a win in Seattle. The year before, he was DYNAMIC in leading his team to the SB. Talking about reading the field, he has limitations, but he doesn't commit turnovers, and he's a nightmare to defend - especially in the playoffs, when they turn him loose. I don't think he would have developed into a good QB without a great QB coach like Jim Harbaugh, but he has. I'd go Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Newton.

Tannehill will join the conversation when he plays well. Right now, he's honestly just not a part of it. You might like his prospects, have a million excuses for him, and some might even be valid, but you don't compare successful people (in any walk of life) to those who might one day be successful. It's an absurd practice. Tannehill has tools, no doubt, and I want him to be the best QB EVER. But I also want to have a 50 in vertical, a harem, and ten billion dollars.

I don't know why you bother. Threads like this are more comical than anything else. Biases are in place that have no relationship to reality. It's not lack of love for Kaepernick. Many posters here actually believe he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.

I agree with Wilson above Luck right now. I would struggle with that selection if forced to pick one long term but there's no question Wilson has been the superior player to date. It's hardly an accident or primarily based on the caliber of his team. Wilson has so many rare traits it's scary.

Newton totally lost his touch last year. He's tunnel vision and line drive prone. That team carried Newton far beyond Seattle carried Wilson. It will be interesting to see if Newton can relax and regain his variety of pace and loft. At this point I prefer Foles above Newton.

I'm anything but a Robert Griffin fan, as evidenced by posts preceding that draft. But he's due for an upward bounce and it could be significant.

Tannehill should improve this season. His baseline rightfully is above 6.66 yards per attempt. But as I've posted many times, a resume like that is far more likely to disappoint than find stardom. In particular, it's always hilarious when somebody tries to use his low number of starts at Texas A&M as a positive. "Isn't that awesome! We drafted a guy high in the first round who wasn't good enough to start until his 4th year in college!"

It reminds me of late blooming golfers who show up on tour with a great swing. Invariably the analysts go overboard on their potential. They'll assert forthcoming greatness. Then you check their background. The swing has always been there but it's never equated to fulfilling promise. They were 3rd best on their college team, and so forth. Johnny Miller said Ryann O'Toole most likely would become the best player on the LPGA. Meanwhile she was a part time player at UCLA.

It's poor instincts and focus on the wrong variables but you'll never convince the group who make that error. They'll happily make it again and again. The slightest hint of ability and all of a sudden it's Pro Bowl bound, if not considerably higher.

The lack of love for Kaepernick is bonkers. He was the entire SF offense in the NFC Championship, and he almost pulled out a win in Seattle. The year before, he was DYNAMIC in leading his team to the SB. Talking about reading the field, he has limitations, but he doesn't commit turnovers, and he's a nightmare to defend - especially in the playoffs, when they turn him loose. I don't think he would have developed into a good QB without a great QB coach like Jim Harbaugh, but he has. I'd go Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Newton.

Tannehill will join the conversation when he plays well. Right now, he's honestly just not a part of it. You might like his prospects, have a million excuses for him, and some might even be valid, but you don't compare successful people (in any walk of life) to those who might one day be successful. It's an absurd practice. Tannehill has tools, no doubt, and I want him to be the best QB EVER. But I also want to have a 50 in vertical, a harem, and ten billion dollars.

Very much this.

I don't know why you bother. Threads like this are more comical than anything else. Biases are in place that have no relationship to reality. It's not lack of love for Kaepernick. Many posters here actually believe he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.

I agree with Wilson above Luck right now. I would struggle with that selection if forced to pick one long term but there's no question Wilson has been the superior player to date. It's hardly an accident or primarily based on the caliber of his team. Wilson has so many rare traits it's scary.

Newton totally lost his touch last year. He's tunnel vision and line drive prone. That team carried Newton far beyond Seattle carried Wilson. It will be interesting to see if Newton can relax and regain his variety of pace and loft. At this point I prefer Foles above Newton.

I'm anything but a Robert Griffin fan, as evidenced by posts preceding that draft. But he's due for an upward bounce and it could be significant.

Tannehill should improve this season. His baseline rightfully is above 6.66 yards per attempt. But as I've posted many times, a resume like that is far more likely to disappoint than find stardom. In particular, it's always hilarious when somebody tries to use his low number of starts at Texas A&M as a positive. "Isn't that awesome! We drafted a guy high in the first round who wasn't good enough to start until his 4th year in college!"

It reminds me of late blooming golfers who show up on tour with a great swing. Invariably the analysts go overboard on their potential. They'll assert forthcoming greatness. Then you check their background. The swing has always been there but it's never equated to fulfilling promise. They were 3rd best on their college team, and so forth. Johnny Miller said Ryann O'Toole most likely would become the best player on the LPGA. Meanwhile she was a part time player at UCLA.

It's poor instincts and focus on the wrong variables but you'll never convince the group who make that error. They'll happily make it again and again. The slightest hint of ability and all of a sudden it's Pro Bowl bound, if not considerably higher.

Newton is tough. His offense is genuinely awful - from the play calling to the skill position players, and now the O-line. I've always projected his upside as a more athletic Big Ben. Neither Newton nor Big Ben are the most precise or intelligent QB's, but I think (like Big Ben), Newton has enough precision and intelligence to compliment his outstanding physical tools. In 2013, the Carolina D obviously carried that team, but I think Newton did a decent enough job playing to the strengths of the team. Outside of the QB position, Carolina has one of the worst 2 or 3 offenses in the NFL. I agree that there are valid reasons to rank Foles ahead of Newton, but given the circumstances surrounding each, and the pedigree of each, it'd take a lot for me to rank Foles ahead of Newton before 2015.

I agree on RG3. If he can stay healthy - big if - he just has too much physical talent. I think his intelligence is extremely overrated, and his character (as you've pointed out for a while) used to be very overrated. I also don't believe he's an instinctive player at the QB position. But if his team can let him work primarily of PA on base downs, he's a 4.4 guy with a big arm - and more accuracy than most "running" QB's. I wouldn't be on or against RG3 having success in 2014. I would bet against the Redskins having success.

I also agree that Luck/Wilson is a tough call. Luck has everything you can ask for in a QB. But to this point, Wilson is the best young QB in the NFL.

Ireland reportedly really liked Kaepernick in the draft and just didn't pull the trigger. I think that was the Pouncey pick. The amount of missed opportunities this franchise has had at the qb position is just devastating.

If I'm starting a new roster today and can pick one guy, I am picking Andrew Luck, easily. Full stop. I'm not saying Russell Wilson is a bad player. I think his defenders get kind of militant about it. They get so offended that they think people are slighting him, and then decide everyone slighting him is a moron. In doing so, they over-think it or are being too emotional. Andrew Luck is a special guy, a special talent. From the way he carries himself, to how smart he is, to how he leads, to his insane competitiveness, to his tremendous talent. Wilson may be a good player who has special qualities, but there is no way on earth that I take Russell Wilson over Andrew Luck. Quote me and in 10 years try and come back and laugh at me. Luck is just the superior guy if you take all the drama, emotion, over-compensating etc out of it. Luck will be a complete pain in the ass for the AFC for a decade.

This is the year that Tannehill will probably get people deciding on him permanently.

Tannehill isn't better than Kaepernick to anyone with any sense of objectivity. Tannehill thru two years has been an average starting QB, and flamed out miserably toward the end of the season last year. Only guys who I'd say he's better than is Dalton and Bradford, and not by much.

Make or break year in year 3. No excuses.

While I believe what a previous poster said about Wilson having to be at the top based purely on how he has produced so far, I really don't understand this complete love for Luck. I do see that he is talented and possesses a great eye for the game, but he hasn't done anything to the caliber for which he is crowned. People keep saying "based on production" certain QB's HAVE to be considered #1....his numbers have not supported him being crowned the god of young QB's. So the bias is hype based because there is very little to support him being light years ahead of even Tannehill.

I for one am a believer in RT and hope that all of the new pieces click going in to the season. He will surpass all of them when this team as a whole gets on track.

He's had reasons...not excuses. Is having an injured throwing shoulder an excuse too? I'd like to see ANY other NFL QB (besides maybe Rapeisburger) take 58 sacks and be upright. It's a TEAM sport, he can't do it alone. His part is just fine, many others need to come up, and that includes players AND coaches.

Prime example is Russell Wilson...his O line was horrendous as well, but the coaches/schemes/defense covered it. Our play calling last year could've been predicted by a 9th grader.

We had that "do it alone" QB for many years...resulted in exactly 0 championships.

Every year I thought...this is Danny's year for a ring! Yet, he never had the support needed. Same story right now, until the TEAM is overall better, it don't matter who you throw in the QB position.

Tannehill isn't better than Kaepernick to anyone with any sense of objectivity. Tannehill thru two years has been an average starting QB, and flamed out miserably toward the end of the season last year. Only guys who I'd say he's better than is Dalton and Bradford, and not by much.

A good test for objectivity for me is I try to think about how many of their fans would want our guy vs how many of our fans would want their guy vs how many fans of an unrelated team would pick our guy over theirs. So there is certainly a faction of our fans that would take Kaepernick at this point, I think very few San Fran fans would take Tannehill (a lot would probably forget to even put Tannehill on the list) and I think a high percentage of the average NFL fan would take Kaepernick. Personally, if we traded Tannehill for Kaepernick right now I wouldn't feel any more or less optimistic that we found our franchise QB, so its a wash for me.

I don't get the Cam Newton love either. The dude has the emotional stability of a 5 year old and we saw that first hand after he played like total garbage for the rest of the half after getting a little love tap from Wake. He may end up being a decent fantasy league QB but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have what it takes to win a championship.

A good test for objectivity for me is I try to think about how many of their fans would want our guy vs how many of our fans would want their guy vs how many fans of an unrelated team would pick our guy over theirs. So there is certainly a faction of our fans that would take Kaepernick at this point, I think very few San Fran fans would take Tannehill (a lot would probably forget to even put Tannehill on the list) and I think a high percentage of the average NFL fan would take Kaepernick. Personally, if we traded Tannehill for Kaepernick right now I wouldn't feel any more or less optimistic that we found our franchise QB, so its a wash for me.

I don't get the Cam Newton love either. The dude has the emotional stability of a 5 year old and we saw that first hand after he played like total garbage for the rest of the half after getting a little love tap from Wake. He may end up being a decent fantasy league QB but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have what it takes to win a championship.

95% of that is only because of the media hype he has gotten. and most of the media hype was due to the way that team performed as a whole and what they accomplished. I'm not saying he didn't deserve praise for the things he did, I just believe a lot of his success came on the heels of better coaching and team play.

Right now, I'd say Ryan Tannehill is a little low on this list of young quarterbacks. But, that said, let's see where he falls after this year. When you consider that he was sacked 58 times last year and rarely had time to throw, his 2013 season was more than respectable. Others on this list, to date, have accomplished more. I think Tannehill can jump into the top 5 of the young quarterbacks. For now, I'd go something like this:

1. Luck (makes Indy so much better)
2. Wilson (can no longer underrate this guy. He is a winner)
3. Newton (a little inconsistent, but extremely talented. Carolina is a team to watch)
4. Ryan (postseason hurts him to date)
5. Stafford (a little bit too up and down)
6. Flacco (plays big in big games)
7. Kaepernick (love his deep arm and ability to make huge plays with feet.)
8. Tannehill (could move into top 5 with big season)
9. Dalton (looks more like a game manager than difference maker)
10. Foles (has to prove it for another year. Wasn't a big fan of his in college so maybe that affects my thinking here)
11. RGIII (injuries move him way down, but if healthy could be top 3)
12. Bradford (would love to see what he could do with more talent around him)
13. Manuel (has some nice upside and improving talent around him)

Okay, here is my personal list. I know many will disagree, but I don't care. BTW Mark Buttfumble did NOT make the cut lol

1. Luck - I don't really see a debate here. The guy is the next great franchise qb.

2. Wilson- Yes he has a great defense and a great running game, but he has been stellar since he took over as the starter in Seattle. Every time they needed him to respond in the Super Bowl he rose to the occasion. Personally I love to watch the man play the position.

3. Ryan- Like others here, I question if he really qualifies but if he's on the list he has to go high up. Remember what the Falcons were before he took over.

4 Kaepernick - The guy is an incredible athlete. I think he can improve in several areas of his game, but he has almost single-handedly sent Aaron Rodgers and The Packers home two years in a row now.

5. Newton- Like him or not, You have to put him ahead of Tannehill because he can put the offense on his shoulders when he needs to. I don't think Tannehill is there yet.

6. Foles- This kid's star is on the rise. You can say the incredible numbers he had last season were a fluke and he needs to show he can do it again before having a spot this high, but until RT puts up a season like that Foles goes ahead of him on my list.

7. Tannehill- I know it's trendy on this board to hate on our qb and say that every young qb in the game is better than he is but that's simply not true. Not many qbs had to face the heat like RT did last year. It is hard to complete passes while lying on your back, but he managed to do it and improved his numbers in the process. I think the future is bright for this kid but can't justify a spot higher than this until his potential actually develops into wins on the field.

8. Stafford- I watched the Lions-Ravens MNF game last December and was in awe at how mediocre Stafford was at critical moments in the game. He has loads of talent around him including the absolute best wr in the game. Put Andrew Luck on that team and he already has a Super Bowl ring.

9. Flacco- I am not a big Flacco fan at all honestly. Outside of his one historic Super Bowl run he hasn't really done a lot to impress me. With that being said he does have a Super Bowl ring so he deserves to be higher than some of these guys.

10.RGIII- I think he has a lot of natural talent, but his attitude and the fact that he is injury prone will catch up with him and shorten his career.

11. Dalton - Average in every way. He has A.J. Green to beef up his stats , but all You have to do is watch the playoff game against the Chargers or better yet, the Thursday Night game against us last year to see his many flaws.

12. Geno Smith- He showed flashes at the end of last season. Still I question if he will ever be consistently good. We know quite a bit about Geno in this part of the country because he played for WVU. Even in his last year for the Mountaineers he started off the season red hot and fizzled out as it played out. I think he is better for Gang Green than Buttfumble was, but that's not saying much lol.

13. E.J. Manuel- Much like RGIII I think he has some great natural talent. Unfortunately for him two major obstacles are facing him in his quest to become a true franchise qb: a.) He seems to have been bitten by the injury bug early in his career b.) He was drafted by the Bills- where promising young quarterbacks go to die.

14. Jake Locker- I actually liked him coming out of Washington, but injuries have derailed his career before it even got started. What a shame.

15. Sam Bradford- I think it is time to stop walking on eggshells and say it when it comes to Bradford- BUST plain and simple.

some of you guys are out there, the only guy you can really make a case for him being better so is Bradford. all the other guys have played at a much higher level than Ryan SO FAR. The question was "from what you have seen so far", there's no way he's not near the bottom of the list of these QBs from what they have all shown so far.

10.5 years later and you're still lost :lol:

The OP question was "Based on what you have seen so far, which other QB's would you rather have as QB of the Dolphins?"

There are many, many, many different things which Phans have seen so far, and there is no right or wrong answer. It could be countless QB stats, analysis, and comparisons, playoffs, team record, film, individual play, surrounding talent, coaching, experience, potential, etc, any combo of the above, or even if someone likes Lauren. :)

The question made things simple in only asking which QB's you would rather have as our QB for whatever reason.

The OP question was "Based on what you have seen so far, which other QB's would you rather have as QB of the Dolphins?"

There are many, many, many different things which Phans have seen so far, and there is no right or wrong answer. It could be countless QB stats, analysis, and comparisons, playoffs, team record, film, individual play, surrounding talent, coaching, experience, potential, etc, any combo of the above, or even if someone likes Lauren. :)

The question made things simple in only asking which QB's you would rather have as our QB for whatever reason.

Pretty much this. A lot of people like to point to stats, playoff appearances etc. I can make a case for Tannehill over a lot of the young qbs based on the toughness/durability factor alone. Guys like Stafford and RGIII have shown a tendency to go down with an injury if someone stares at them too hard. Tannehill took an absolute beating last year and got up every time. There is something to be said for that as well IMO.

Back
Top Bottom