Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

Pretty much this. A lot of people like to point to stats, playoff appearances etc. I can make a case for Tannehill over a lot of the young qbs based on the toughness/durability factor alone. Guys like Stafford and RGIII have shown a tendency to go down with an injury if someone stares at them too hard. Tannehill took an absolute beating last year and got up every time. There is something to be said for that as well IMO.

For me, without getting into all kinds of stuff, I saw a QB who played well as a rookie with very few weapons, improved in his second year with no help from the OL or run game, and played well individually in both years. I like him as our QB over the others, except Luck. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong. JMO

nothing like a thread to build up hostilities before camp begins...

The hostility on this forum is in no way, shape, or form built up or down by any thread. It is what it is.

tannehill had a golden opportunity to cement his status as an up and coming young possible franchise qb but then the last 2 games of the season happened. as it stands hes been mediocre for 2 years and of course we've had a mediocre record in his time here. if its the same ole tannehill, im counting his college days too, this year then its time to move on and find another qb.

The "I would sell my soul to the devil" Tier
Russell Wilson
Andrew Luck

"I'll give you a first round draft pick, and even throw in Tannehill" tier
Nick Foles
RGIII

"I could take him or leave him" tier
Colin Kaepernick
EJ Manuel
Ryan Tannehill
Ryan Mallett

The "give me a random QB from the 2014 draft instead" tier
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Geno Smith

The last tier has more to do with their personalities than their potential physically. And I demoted Kaepernick a tier because of this too, he's not a whiner like the others but he is abrasive and a bit of a knucklehead (has his own "hat-gate") and I sense trouble on the horizon.

I’ll answer this question in terms of who I’d want starting for the Dolphins going forward.

Luck – Surest bet to be productive regardless of the team around him.

Wilson – Cool customer.

Cam - Upside

Kaep - Upside

RG3 – Highest upside of all

Tannehill – Solid, young, potential for improvement.

Ryan – Peaked

Flacco – Peaked

Stafford - Peaked

Foles – Not a fan. Second most sacked QB (to Tannehill), with one of the better offensive lines in the league. Will not be so lucky this year with his TD/INT ratio. Predicting a fall to Earth.

Dalton - Average

Bradford - Average

3, 4, & 5 are almost interchangeable to me. I could make a case for each one of them.

I’ll answer this question in terms of who I’d want starting for the Dolphins going forward.

Luck – Surest bet to be productive regardless of the team around him.

Wilson – Cool customer.

Cam - Upside

Kaep - Upside

RG3 – Highest upside of all

Tannehill – Solid, young, potential for improvement.

Ryan – Peaked

Flacco – Peaked

Stafford - Peaked

Foles – Not a fan. Second most sacked QB (to Tannehill), with one of the better offensive lines in the league. Will not be so lucky this year with his TD/INT ratio. Predicting a fall to Earth.

Dalton - Average

Bradford - Average

3, 4, & 5 are almost interchangeable to me. I could make a case for each one of them.

That's fair. I'm just not a fan of running QB's, and even more so with Lazor.

To me, Luck, Wilson and Kaep are clearly the cream of the crop with Luck and Wilson being a touch ahead of Kaep. Tannehill at the moment isnt even in the conversation with those three.

After those three, I think 4-7 are pretty interchangable and you can make an argument for either of them being #4 or #7.

To me, Luck, Wilson and Kaep are clearly the cream of the crop with Luck and Wilson being a touch ahead of Kaep. Tannehill at the moment isnt even in the conversation with those three.

After those three, I think 4-7 are pretty interchangable and you can make an argument for either of them being #4 or #7.

Do you think Wilson and CK would have been the same in Miami?

Do you think Wilson and CK would have been the same in Miami?

In CKs case, no because I think having Harbaugh bring him along helped a lot. But like j-off-her-doll said, it doesnt really matter how or why he got better, just that he is.

As for Wilson, I think its very likely that hed have been better here than Tannehill has been (not than Tannehill has been awful), although he definitely wouldnt have the SB ring.

That's fair. I'm just not a fan of running QB's, and even more so with Lazor.

I wasn't concerned about that. Coordinators are replaceable.

I would take shots on guys who have the potential to be top five Quarterbacks. I see Tannehill as more of an upper-middle of the pack kind of guy. Doesn't mean Tannehill can't win a Superbowl. I don't think he's that much worse than Joe Flacco who won one, but if I'm going to pay a franchise QB the type of money Flacco's getting, then I want there to be value in comparison with the rest of the league.

Who do you think is getting more bang-for-their-buck? The Ravens paying Joe Flacco twenty million dollars a year, or the Packers paying Aaron Rodgers twenty-two million? Is it the Bears paying Jay Cutler eighteen million a season, or the Broncos paying Peyton nineteen million per, or Drew Brees making twenty million per?

With the way the NFL is right now, Tannehill himself might command a hundred-million dollar contract in two years when his rookie deal expires, but if he's making as much, or close to the amount of other QBs who are far superior in talent, then it just makes it that much harder to compete with those teams.

In CKs case, no because I think having Harbaugh bring him along helped a lot. But like j-off-her-doll said, it doesnt really matter how or why he got better, just that he is.

As for Wilson, I think its very likely that hed have been better here than Tannehill has been (not than Tannehill has been awful), although he definitely wouldnt have the SB ring.

Have to disagree on the how and why a QB got better does not matter. That does not make any sense to me in coaching, scheme fit, and surrounding talent have nothing to do with how a QB plays.

We'd be running a different style offense if Wilson was here...same thing we'd be doing if kaepernick was here...or rg3 for that matter...the offense we've ran the last 2 years under tannehill would expose a lot of qbs

Have to disagree on the how and why a QB got better does not matter. That does not make any sense to me in coaching, scheme fit, and surrounding talent have nothing to do with how a QB plays.

Of course all that matters. But this thread isnt about that. Its about ranking Tannehill relative to other young QBs. You can preach that Kaep was lucky he had Harbaugh until youre blue in the face, but it doesnt change the fact that he is better than Tannehill right now.

Of course all that matters. But this thread isnt about that. Its about ranking Tannehill relative to other young QBs. You can preach that Kaep was lucky he had Harbaugh until youre blue in the face, but it doesnt change the fact that he is better than Tannehill right now.

You can find posts on the draft forum where I pretty much guaranteed that Kaepernick wouldn't be ready to start for three or four seasons. When Harbaugh, drafted him, I was like, '****, should have included some qualifiers.'

Back
Top Bottom