Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

For the life of me can't see what you guys see in CK.

He has his moments, but he doesn't do anything that wows me, besides his running.

Right now, I'd say Ryan Tannehill is a little low on this list of young quarterbacks. But, that said, let's see where he falls after this year. When you consider that he was sacked 58 times last year and rarely had time to throw, his 2013 season was more than respectable. Others on this list, to date, have accomplished more. I think Tannehill can jump into the top 5 of the young quarterbacks. For now, I'd go something like this:

1. Luck (makes Indy so much better)
2. Wilson (can no longer underrate this guy. He is a winner)
3. Newton (a little inconsistent, but extremely talented. Carolina is a team to watch)
4. Ryan (postseason hurts him to date)
5. Stafford (a little bit too up and down)
6. Flacco (plays big in big games)
7. Kaepernick (love his deep arm and ability to make huge plays with feet.)
8. Tannehill (could move into top 5 with big season)
9. Dalton (looks more like a game manager than difference maker)
10. Foles (has to prove it for another year. Wasn't a big fan of his in college so maybe that affects my thinking here)
11. RGIII (injuries move him way down, but if healthy could be top 3)
12. Bradford (would love to see what he could do with more talent around him)
13. Manuel (has some nice upside and improving talent around him)
This is pretty much how I feel in terms of their potential ability, if the question is a straight given the offensive system we have which QB would you have some are less suited than others to it, probably Wilson would nosedive the most. Must say overall it is hard to compare QBs that have different levels of experience but Tannehill has the ability to make all the throws but when the pressure is on how will he perform, we probably don't know the answer to this just yet.

As for Wilson, I think its very likely that hed have been better here than Tannehill has been (not than Tannehill has been awful), although he definitely wouldnt have the SB ring.

Not a chance in hell with Sherman calling the plays and no running game, IMHO.

Right now, I'd say Ryan Tannehill is a little low on this list of young quarterbacks. But, that said, let's see where he falls after this year. When you consider that he was sacked 58 times last year and rarely had time to throw, his 2013 season was more than respectable. Others on this list, to date, have accomplished more. I think Tannehill can jump into the top 5 of the young quarterbacks. For now, I'd go something like this:

1. Luck (makes Indy so much better)
2. Wilson (can no longer underrate this guy. He is a winner)
3. Newton (a little inconsistent, but extremely talented. Carolina is a team to watch)
4. Ryan (postseason hurts him to date)
5. Stafford (a little bit too up and down)
6. Flacco (plays big in big games)
7. Kaepernick (love his deep arm and ability to make huge plays with feet.)
8. Tannehill (could move into top 5 with big season)
9. Dalton (looks more like a game manager than difference maker)
10. Foles (has to prove it for another year. Wasn't a big fan of his in college so maybe that affects my thinking here)
11. RGIII (injuries move him way down, but if healthy could be top 3)
12. Bradford (would love to see what he could do with more talent around him)
13. Manuel (has some nice upside and improving talent around him)

I'd put Tannehill 2nd. My reasoning is it's my belief that the only QB on this list that could have done better than Tannehill last year, on this team, would be Luck, with the same OC and with the same running game/O-line that we had. The click-needy sites rated him from 18 to 25'ish...PFF had him 7th (ahead of Brady)...several reliable experts have him top 10. Drink it in!

There are a number of VG young QB's who came out of the draft between 2008 and 2012.

2012- Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Foles, and Wilson.

2011- Newton, Dalton, and CK.

2010- Bradford

2009- Stafford

2008- Ryan and Flacco.

From what you have seen so far, which ones would you rather have as the QB of the Dolphins?

1. Luck
2. Matty Ice
3. Wilson
4. Foles
5. Flacco
6. Stafford
7. Tannehill

The rest are pretty much garbage.

It always amazes me at how few people can see the big picture when it comes to the qb position...so much tunnel vision

I'd put Tannehill 2nd. My reasoning is it's my belief that the only QB on this list that could have done better than Tannehill last year, on this team, would be Luck, with the same OC and with the same running game/O-line that we had. The click-needy sites rated him from 18 to 25'ish...PFF had him 7th (ahead of Brady)...several reliable experts have him top 10. Drink it in!

I'm not arguing your point, because I've already done that, but that's a strange - and likely very ineffective - reasoning sequence. It will provide you the occasional "Ha ha told you!" moment, because there are always exceptions, but you'll be wrong more often than not. There is a limited supply of QB's who can win at a high rate in the NFL, and even fewer who win in the playoffs. Ranking a player that hasn't achieved either over players that have - during a similar time span - is bound to be a mistake more often than not.

Also, in discussing Wilson and Kapernick, they play in the NFC West - the best defensive division (and best overall division) in football by a WIDE margin. When people compare young QB's, I rarely see this noted.

Tannehill is our guy. He didn't get a lot of experience at QB in college and in the NFL he has shown many great attributes while making "rookie" mistakes"

I think Tanny played strong last year given the quality of his o-line. He showed a lot of poise and durability.

Tanny is going to break out this year, it's his time.

100%

I'm not arguing your point, because I've already done that, but that's a strange - and likely very ineffective - reasoning sequence. It will provide you the occasional "Ha ha told you!" moment, because there are always exceptions, but you'll be wrong more often than not. There is a limited supply of QB's who can win at a high rate in the NFL, and even fewer who win in the playoffs. Ranking a player that hasn't achieved either over players that have - during a similar time span - is bound to be a mistake more often than not.

Also, in discussing Wilson and Kapernick, they play in the NFC West - the best defensive division (and best overall division) in football by a WIDE margin. When people compare young QB's, I rarely see this noted.

So the QB plays all 11 positions? "He" has achieved as much as could be hoped for in his situation...the "team" hasn't. The reasoning sequence isn't strange at all...it's just hard to completely quantify.

The entire NFL knew we couldn't run last year...knew we couldn't protect the pass...he took 58 sacks (some of them on him, of course) yet he STILL threw up respectable numbers...even with the 2 stinkers at the end. His injury contributed to those last 2 games, and that's a damn shame, but it's true. Is it his fault for playing in those games, or the coaches for not subbing him? Either way, I never heard him making an excuse of it. He's a tough, smart, respectable dude that's growing into his role as the team's leader, right before our eyes...some of our eyes anyway.

So the QB plays all 11 positions? "He" has achieved as much as could be hoped for in his situation...the "team" hasn't. The reasoning sequence isn't strange at all...it's just hard to completely quantify.

The entire NFL knew we couldn't run last year...knew we couldn't protect the pass...he took 58 sacks (some of them on him, of course) yet he STILL threw up respectable numbers...even with the 2 stinkers at the end. His injury contributed to those last 2 games, and that's a damn shame, but it's true. Is it his fault for playing in those games, or the coaches for not subbing him? Either way, I never heard him making an excuse of it. He's a tough, smart, respectable dude that's growing into his role as the team's leader, right before our eyes...some of our eyes anyway.

But he didn't put up respectable numbers. Completions percentage - below average; YPA - below average; TD/INT ratio - below average. I agree that he's a tough, smart, high-character guy. But - regardless of circumstance - he's not been a successful starting QB, in winning or efficiency. Could he be? Of course, he could be. But to say you'd take him over QB's who have already achieved success, in both areas, you're betting against the odds.

But he didn't put up respectable numbers. Completions percentage - below average; YPA - below average; TD/INT ratio - below average. I agree that he's a tough, smart, high-character guy. But - regardless of circumstance - he's not been a successful starting QB, in winning or efficiency. Could he be? Of course, he could be. But to say you'd take him over QB's who have already achieved success, in both areas, you're betting against the odds.

Since we're all in the purely hypothetical realm here I doubt anyone need be concerned with odds of being proven wrong.

Maybe its a perspective dolphin fans are more prone to after seeing Marino all those years but I don't understand why a quarterback's ability is so often linked to a team's success. Flacco was the same mediocre QB before and after that super bowl run, but you had no shortage of fans and pundits willing to elevate him to the top of the pantheon when he was given a ring.

His completion % was a hair behind Brady's, and the same as Luck's. They were all average (rated 15-17). INTs were a bit high, but TDs were top 13. TD/INT rated at 25 - below average. In a more important stat to me than YPA, redzone performance, he's 6th.

You can go back and forth with these numbers all day long, but the bottom line is you can't vacuum the analysis with these...the team concept has to be included. PFF has him 7th overall in the NFL in a strictly individual analysis.

some of you guys are out there, the only guy you can really make a case for him being better so is Bradford. all the other guys have played at a much higher level than Ryan SO FAR. The question was "from what you have seen so far", there's no way he's not near the bottom of the list of these QBs from what they have all shown so far.

Ryan lost his top 2 WRs and Tannehill had more talent around him last year so while Matt Ryan faltered he still had 26 and 17 while Ryan Tannehill had 24 and 17. Flacco had his first bad year after a spectacular run to help his team win a SB, it's ok to have an off year but all thins equal Ryan isn't close to Flacco.

Here, unlike certain other fan forums, dissent from guest posters is accepted (at least as we've already seen "within reason.") And everyone with or without agendi is certainly entitled to agree or disagree.

However that being said, if someone:
a) truly believes and is not trolling...that a certain QB best known for orchestrating the first ever "Butt6" statistically the worst 4 year starter since JaMarcus, "he may be ranked 28th but he's a top 10 QB," and that

b)said Rump-Releaser actually was sitting on the front of a playoff bus, let alone one of its drivers, even when the most respected Coach on the field, from his sideline perspective is on record as declaring that he never drove one (essentially confirming what we all knew, that he was along for the ride.

well, then IMO if with more than sufficient evidence, based on your own eye-test, you tend to believe that opinion (and that's all it amounts to) is delusional homer-based, then if using that opinion as a benchmark,
.....why should anyone think a comparable opinion about a much more promising QB, especially given the injuries, poor OC'ing, schizzoid running game and 28th -32nd ranked OL (depending on which analytic service you used) he had to contend with, is any more valid/less homeristic than the one related to Rex Grossman-lite?

o8yt8o-1.jpg

1. Luck
2. Matty Ice
3. Wilson
4. Foles
5. Flacco
6. Stafford
7. Tannehill

The rest are pretty much garbage.

Melting Matty is not awful but he's closer to #7 than #2! When you consider that he went 4-12 last season even with Douglas stepping up and Insiders ranking Atlanta's OL #9 in pass defense, beating mostly miserable teams without 2 superstar receivers, but with a superstar TE, it's apparent he requires exceptional talent to succeed rather than carrying the team on his back. And then factor in that even with that exceptional talent, going back to the ACC, there's not a second half of a one-and-done post season scenario where he hasn't wilted or disappeared in the second half (1-4), then the choke factor certainly shouldn't even put him in the same hemisphere as Joe Flacco, let alone ranked above him.

Here, unlike certain other fan forums, dissent from guest posters is accepted (at least as we've already seen "within reason.") And everyone with or without agendi is certainly entitled to agree or disagree.

However that being said, if someone:
a) truly believes and is not trolling...that a certain QB best known for orchestrating the first ever "Butt6" statistically the worst 4 year starter since JaMarcus, "he may be ranked 28th but he's a top 10 QB," and that

b)said Rump-Releaser actually was sitting on the front of a playoff bus, let alone one of its drivers, even when the most respected Coach on the field, from his sideline perspective is on record as declaring that he never drove one (essentially confirming what we all knew, that he was along for the ride.

well, then IMO if with more than sufficient evidence, based on your own eye-test, you tend to believe that opinion (and that's all it amounts to) is delusional homer-based, then if using that opinion as a benchmark,
.....why should anyone think a comparable opinion about a much more promising QB, especially given the injuries, poor OC'ing, schizzoid running game and 28th -32nd ranked OL (depending on which analytic service you used) he had to contend with, is any more valid/less homeristic than the one related to Rex Grossman-lite?

o8yt8o-1.jpg

:sidelol: Rump-Releaser...

sent from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom