Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank Tannehill Among Young QB's?

hate to agree with any jets fan but tannehill has proven to be slightly better than average so far and that gets us nowhere. almost every qb on that list has made the playoffs but bradford and tannehill. all the yapping about his physical tools and his protypical size is starting to get real old real fast.

Yea I knew somebody would mention playoffs as a measuring stick for QB skills, unfortunately, that would mean that Mark Sanchez is the best young QB in the game, which we know is complete BS.

if you've been in the league 5 years you no longer quality as a young qb...really 5 years should be the cut off...unless you are a 30 year old rookie like brandon weeden in which case you are always a dinosaur by league standards

I would take literally everyone over him except for Bradford at this point. He has potential but the way he flamed out at the end of last season was brutal.

I would take literally everyone over him except for Bradford at this point. He has potential but the way he flamed out at the end of last season was brutal.

So dismiss the entire season on account of 2 games that weren't 'entirely' on him? You don't see much upside to RT do you?

I'm very happy to have Tannehill. Its an unfair comparison to include guys more than a year more experienced than him because Tannehill only started 19 games in college. Only using his class and the one before and behind his, here is how I'd rank them:

Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
RGIII
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Andy Dalton
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Mike Glennon
Colin Kaepernick
Genoa Smith
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert

Forgive me if I accidentally added anyone who has more than 1 year extra NFL experience on Tannehill. I can't really look it all up right now.

In the future I suspect Luck vs. Tannehill will become a big rivalry 8n the AFC.

only 4 i'd want on digitals list...everyone else i'd be studying draft prospect qbs something fierce

luck
tannehill
newton
wilson

tannehill has more upside still or meat on the bone at least than luck but that doesnt mean he will reach that level especially if the oline play ruins him before we ever get there...wilson can't play in every offense he'd be in trouble in a system like ours but i digress he's a work off pa and heavy run game ideal fit who doesnt make mistakes that beat you and as such is rarely gonna be why you lose...newtons just a special physical talent but his issues if he never gets to his ceiling are between his ears...still i will take the ceiling of him over wilsons

i'd probably prefer teddy bridgewater over everything else...

The lack of love for Kaepernick is bonkers. He was the entire SF offense in the NFC Championship, and he almost pulled out a win in Seattle. The year before, he was DYNAMIC in leading his team to the SB. Talking about reading the field, he has limitations, but he doesn't commit turnovers, and he's a nightmare to defend - especially in the playoffs, when they turn him loose. I don't think he would have developed into a good QB without a great QB coach like Jim Harbaugh, but he has. I'd go Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Newton.

Tannehill will join the conversation when he plays well. Right now, he's honestly just not a part of it. You might like his prospects, have a million excuses for him, and some might even be valid, but you don't compare successful people (in any walk of life) to those who might one day be successful. It's an absurd practice. Tannehill has tools, no doubt, and I want him to be the best QB EVER. But I also want to have a 50 in vertical, a harem, and ten billion dollars.

There are a number of VG young QB's who came out of the draft between 2008 and 2012.

2012- Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Foles, and Wilson.

2011- Newton, Dalton, and CK.

2010- Bradford

2009- Stafford

2008- Ryan and Flacco.

From what you have seen so far, which ones would you rather have as the QB of the Dolphins?

Without trying to hope what might happen or who has had the better "tools" to work with, team wise

Luck
Wilson
CK
Flacco
Ryan
RG3
Newton
Foles
Tannehill
Stafford
Dalton
Bradford

Have 3 Tannehill Jerseys/Tshirts, on my screen saver, I feel like he has the biggest upside since Marino. Some of his throws leave me in awe. If he ever puts it together and has an above average supporting cast, he could be in top 3-5 a year from now.

So dismiss the entire season on account of 2 games that weren't 'entirely' on him? You don't see much upside to RT do you?

With an injury in his throwing shoulder.

Analyze his complete performance, all parts of the offense considered into the equation, and he kicked ass...top 10 QB...like it or not.

There are a number of VG young QB's who came out of the draft between 2008 and 2012.

2012- Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Foles, and Wilson.

2011- Newton, Dalton, and CK.

2010- Bradford

2009- Stafford

2008- Ryan and Flacco.

From what you have seen so far, which ones would you rather have as the QB of the Dolphins?

1) Luck. He has done everything right and carried a flawed team into the playoffs twice. I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the Superbowl this year, hes that good.

2) Wilson. As others have said: sure, he has a great team, but he does what has to be done in order to win.

3) Newton. Phenom talent that has continued to get better and better. Its criminal the way the Panthers have treated him when it comes to collecting a supporting players, but hes made steady improvement. I suspect this will be a rough year for him, but he will continue to grow in future seasons.

4) Flacco. Flacco during his Superbowl run was excellent. He was breathing fire. Admittedly, i seriously doubt he ever reaches those highs again and he will only play as well as his supporting cast, but he showed he has that Eli Manning ability to "turn it on" when he has to.

5) Tannehill. No line, no run game, a **** offensive coordinator, a subpar coach, a major distraction, and binders full of mediocrity at receiver...and yet, he still looked more poised than Eli Manning(and others) for 14 of the 16 games last season. I cant blame him for the final 2 week collapse, our entire team just imploded. Only Christian Ponder has had greater adversity than Tannehill has faced, and while Ponder floundered, Tannehill has done an admirably job of rising above it. I believe we have our franchise quarterback, i just hope the morons running this team dont make him the next (Norv Turner version of) Philip Rivers.

6) Ryan. Productive but only as good as his supporting players. Minus one last second win against Seattle in the playoffs, hes never risen to the occasion. He will take a team only as far as the roster talent allows. Theres nothing particularly wrong with that, but he wouldnt succeed with a team as talent deficient as we are.

7) Stafford. Like Ryan, hes a totally different player when the talent around him is struggling. And his first few years in the league he was injury prone, you never know if/when that will return.

8) Bradford. Call me stubborn but i still havent given up on Bradford. Like Ponder and Tannehill, hes had a lot of adversity thrown his way. Hes had no talent at receiver, as expected the Josh McDaniels hiring was a disaster, Schottenhiemer recently stuck him in an offense that didnt fit the teams personnel, and his line has been porous. When given half a chance hes shown he can play well. I loved him during the draft and think he can get better, perhaps falling in line next to Ryan and Stafford...if hes given the opportunity.

9) Dalton. Nice player who has made it clear he cant transcend his physical limitations. A shame.

10) RG3. I never had the vehement fury towards him that some expressed during the draft process. I didnt think he deserved 3 first round picks and a 2nd rounder, but i didnt think he was bad...until he killed Mike Shanahan's career. Granted, that was mostly Synder, who has a long history of killing careers, but Griffin didnt hesitate to pour gasoline on a slowly rising fire. He has talent but it will never be reached through subpar coaching. Which is all the Redskins will be able to attract now that Griffin has made it clear he will derail a career.

11) Kaepernick. Terrible. Elongated release and has trouble with the mental aspects of being a quarterback. The only reason why hes had the success he has is because Harbaugh is that good. And Harbaugh is currently being run out of town. Good luck in the future Kaep, your going to need it. The 49'ers are screwed if they dont win a title next year.

I got to about 8 before i realized i forgot to include Foles. I didnt go back and fit him in because i have absolutely no idea about where that guy ranks. He was great last season...but is that the real deal or did he just catch lightning in a bottle? For the record i cant put him above Tannehill. Not yet. I need to see more.

Back
Top Bottom