Rank the Five Players You Most Want at #52 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank the Five Players You Most Want at #52

I think Mauch is an overrated prospect. There is almost no chance he will play OT in the NFL with his frame and arm length. On top of that he played D2 ball and will be 25 as a rookie. To clarify, I think he is a 3rd-4th round talent based on what I mentioned above and the fact he will need to learn to play Guard at the NFL level.

That being said, the other 4 guys you mentioned are definitely players to watch at 52 (if we don’t make a trade).
He plays at an FCS school, but NDSU is one of the premiere schools in the league. He does have less than ideal arm length. That is a valid point. He was voted 2nd team All-American by the Associated Press even though he played in the FCS. In a power-gap scheme, you're right, he would probably not do well. His outstanding technique as a pass protector and elite speed and quickness are ideally suited for the Zone system that we run.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be a perfect complement to Hill and Waddle. I think he's most similar to Cooper Kupp.

He's obv projected to be off the board, but he could easily run around a 4.6, and NFL teams will likely knock him for that.

But, whether it be WR, TE, or RB, Miami needs players who can consistently move the chains, make tough catches, and make plays with the ball in their hands.

He probably still doesn't fall that far, but his other comp is St. Brown, and both Kupp and St. Brown fell well past where Miami is picking.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be a perfect complement to Hill and Waddle. I think he's most similar to Cooper Kupp.

He's obv projected to be off the board, but he could easily run around a 4.6, and NFL teams will likely knock him for that.

But, whether it be WR, TE, or RB, Miami needs players who can consistently move the chains, make tough catches, and make plays with the ball in their hands.

He probably still doesn't fall that far, but his other comp is St. Brown, and both Kupp and St. Brown fell well past where Miami is picking.
I don't think he will be there when we pick and we have way more pressing needs.

He plays at an FCS school, but NDSU is one of the premiere schools in the league. He does have less than ideal arm length. That is a valid point. He was voted 2nd team All-American by the Associated Press even though he played in the FCS. In a power-gap scheme, you're right, he would probably not do well. His outstanding technique as a pass protector and elite speed and quickness are ideally suited for the Zone system that we run.
I understand that he is definitely a fit for our offense talent and skill wise. As dumb as it seems, arm length matters in the NFL. His 32 1/8” arms are below average even for a NFL Guard. You can look at the history of college tackles drafted with arms under 32.5” and almost none went on to be successful tackles in the NFL.

In all honesty, if we drafted him to play LG and he started there day one in TC I would be OK with the pick. I just don’t like that we continue to draft college tackles, move them all over, and realize they are guards. Or we move them all over and realize they are busts we shouldn’t have drafted (looking at Jackson and Eichenberg).

I don't think he will be there when we pick and we have way more pressing needs.

I'm pretty sure you're right that he won't be there, but I think there's a chance.

Everything exists on a balance, and while Miami does have more pressing needs, adding a WR who is such a QB-friendly target and so consistent and so good at maximizing yards after the catch would complement the explosiveness of Hill and Waddle and make the offense more consistent.

So, Miami could fill needs or accentuate a strength, and either will make an impact on the bottom line. The benefit of WR is that it's a premium position, would give them some flexibility with Hill as he gets older, and it directly helps your QB.

Dawand Jones or Charbonnet, I would not pass on those.
If the decision is not to extend Wilkins, I would not pass on Gervon Dexter or Keion White. Based on prelim rankings those have a chance to slip to us.
If those are taken, I would go with best available DB (CB, S) or even LB.

For me it’s Trenton Simpson

To see and study a player that versatile, like the most versatile player in the draft imo, who is that good in coverage and that good running and chasing plays and blitzing, with incredible measurables like low 4.4 speed and vert

But what excites me most is the length and the room to get bigger stronger and faster is all there

In such a weak WR class I think he still goes R1.

That would be a luxury pick for sure but he is going to be a very good possession/slot WR for a long time.

For me it’s Trenton Simpson

To see and study a player that versatile, like the most versatile player in the draft imo, who is that good in coverage and that good running and chasing plays and blitzing, with incredible measurables like low 4.4 speed and vert

But what excites me most is the length and the room to get bigger stronger and faster is all there
I like Simpson as well but he is most likely going to find his way into the back end of R1.

I am starting to think Jack Campbell won't make it to Miami either.

Dawand Jones or Charbonnet, I would not pass on those.
If the decision is not to extend Wilkins, I would not pass on Gervon Dexter or Keion White. Based on prelim rankings those have a chance to slip to us.
If those are taken, I would go with best available DB (CB, S) or even LB.
If they don't extend Wilkins, it would be a major mistake. You could add it to the long list of dumb decisions this franchise has made over the last 22 yrs.

If they don't extend Wilkins, it would be a major mistake. You could add it to the long list of dumb decisions this franchise has made over the last 22 yrs.

I don't think he is that important. We presumably had a great DL, and defense was garbage mostly. It's like Ndamukong Suh, great player, but does not make a dent.

Back
Top Bottom