Ranking the AFC East secondaries | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the AFC East secondaries

With regards to interceptions I'll just say this, in 2008 Deltha O'neal had more than Asomugha. Picks are nice but they don't tell the whole story.

With regards to interceptions I'll just say this, in 2008 Deltha O'neal had more than Asomugha. Picks are nice but they don't tell the whole story.
Of course not. "Percentage Caught" is probably the most important stat when judging CB's.

I would say it has more to do with Rhodes getting his money then not giving a ****. Bell is a pro bowler, and Wilson is a pretty good SS as well. We're set at SS, we just need a FS. We'll improve at FS alone by Wilson not playing out there, but I like Chris Clemons a lot. We'll have to see I guess. There's always the draft and FA as well. As far as CB goes, the Jets really only have Revis. Will Allen was putting up Revis numbers before the injury, all went down hill from there. Not sure how Will Allen will come back from the knee injury though, but hopefully he comes back strong, he's one of the most underrated corners in the NFl imo. Doesn't get a lot of picks, but covers his man like a blanket. Not to mention Davis and Smith will get better with experience, and Nate Jones was very good in the slot last year.

The Jets other corners are not bad there just not anything better then a #3. Lowery and Strickland are both serviceable players and Shepperd's biggest problem was staying healthy (he's out the door anyway).

Leonhard is just a solid player. Does his job. He's not great but he isnt a liability. Rhodes has definitely gotten soft but he is still very good coverage.

As great as Revis is he cant get all the credit for the Jets having the best D in the NFL and being #1 against the pass.

The Jets other corners are not bad there just not anything better then a #3. Lowery and Strickland are both serviceable players and Shepperd's biggest problem was staying healthy (he's out the door anyway).

Leonhard is just a solid player. Does his job. He's not great but he isnt a liability. Rhodes has definitely gotten soft but he is still very good coverage.

As great as Revis is he cant get all the credit for the Jets having the best D in the NFL and being #1 against the pass.
I would agree with this. Ryan's blitz scheme would get the most credit from me. A great scheme can make a secondary look better than it is. Hopefully Nolan can do the same with us, though our secondary is pretty much guaranteed to be better with Pasqauloni's failed quarters coverage out of here.

B/c he made the PB?:lol:

I'm happy w/ our guy and you are happy w/ your guy.
Making the pro bowl has nothing to do with it, we all know how much the pro bowl is a joke. Because Bell is elite against the run and is always making big time plays for us has much more to do with it.

Your safeties are suspect just like ours. You have just as much work needed, if not more, than us. Nice wishful thinking though. Besides Revis your secondary is average at best. One good corner, and nothing else.
What are you talking about? Our safeties played really well last year. We had the leagues #1 pass defense so how does our secondary need more work than the Dolphins?

Kerry Rhodes was taking heat because of half *** effort on some tackles and against the Patriots the 2nd game we played he got ran over by Maroney and didn't level Welker when he had a chance. Plus it was a wake up call to him and the team by getting benched.

He still had a good coverage season, he was one of the top in PD for safeties this year at 13. He also was learning a new system which requires to communicate and at times he had miscommunication with Leonhard and he said that he wasn't on the same page with Mike Pettine but eventually did get on it.

Jim Leonhard had a good season, he isn't caught out of position much and is a very smart player along with being extremely tough. He made some big plays in the playoffs for us.

Our safeties aren't the problem, especially if Rhodes is committed and wants to be here which is looking like the case. Our problem was against teams like the Colts who would attack Lowery, Sheppard, and Coleman. We need a better #2 CB, I think Lowery would be fine as a #3 CB. Sheppard is gone. Strickland was a good NB corner for us but always got injured, he was playing good against the Colts then got injured and we started getting picked apart. Coleman sucks too.

Wow, quite a biased statement. So Bell wasn't making plays, and was making meaningless tackles? And Leonhard, who isn't close to being on Bell's level is making all these plays for the #1 ranked defense. All this while Bell leads Leonhard in just about every stat? Like I said, please show some objectivity. :rolleyes2:

Leonhard has more TFL this year and more sacks, yeah our safeties don't get many tackles because our LBs get most of them.
Leonhard had better numbers against the pass this year also. Leonhard had a 34 QB rating while throwing at him while Bell had a 65 QB rating.
And Leonhard is smaller than Bell, so yeah Bell is a better tackler as hes bigger. Eric Smith could be just as good too, he had more TFL than Bell and was a part time player. Smith is a really good tackler though.

Leonhard has more TFL this year and more sacks, yeah our safeties don't get many tackles because our LBs get most of them.
Leonhard had better numbers against the pass this year also. Leonhard had a 34 QB rating while throwing at him while Bell had a 65 QB rating.
And Leonhard is smaller than Bell, so yeah Bell is a better tackler as hes bigger. Eric Smith could be just as good too, he had more TFL than Bell and was a part time player. Smith is a really good tackler though.
Leonhard had 1 more sack than Bell. Leonhard also had 12 missed tackles to Bell's 1. Leonhard is also surrounded by better players, and played in a much, much better scheme. Interested in seeing these TFL stats though, can't seem to find them anywhere.

Leonhard had 1 more sack than Bell. Leonhard also had 12 missed tackles to Bell's 1. Leonhard is also surrounded by better players, and played in a much, much better scheme. Interested in seeing these TFL stats though, can't seem to find them anywhere.

Leonhard played about 8 games with a broken thumb and a cast on his hand. That was the culprit many of those missed tackles.

So a Bills' secondary that finished with the following NFL ranks: 2nd in passing yards allowed; 3rd best in worst completion % allowed; 2nd best in worst yards per attempt; 2nd best in fewest td passes allowed; 2nd in worst passer rating; and 2nd in INTs - is the 3rd best in the AFC East? The Bills are top 3 secondary in the entire NFL. Terrible, terrible list.

Leonhard played about 8 games with a broken thumb and a cast on his hand. That was the culprit many of those missed tackles.

I like JL. He's an overachiever. But the guy is a very limited NFL player. He's not that good but is a great study.

So a Bills' secondary that finished with the following NFL ranks: 2nd in passing yards allowed; 3rd best in worst completion % allowed; 2nd best in worst yards per attempt; 2nd best in fewest td passes allowed; 2nd in worst passer rating; and 2nd in INTs - is the 3rd best in the AFC East? The Bills are top 3 secondary in the entire NFL. Terrible, terrible list.

The Bills had a good pass defense but their run D was horrible- why throw when you can run? It skews the overall #s a but PLUS teams were usually running out the clock on Buf as they were ahead late in games.

Again, that's not to say your secondary is bad b/c it's not but those #s are skewed a bit.

The Bills had a good pass defense but their run D was horrible- why throw when you can run? It skews the overall #s a but PLUS teams were usually running out the clock on Buf as they were ahead late in games.

Again, that's not to say your secondary is bad b/c it's not but those #s are skewed a bit.

Our run defense was terrible. But you can't skew passer rating, completion %, and INTs. Attempts doesn't affect these stats at all. 12 teams had less pass attmepts against them the Bills (the Jets only had 18 more) http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1 so it wasn't as if team were running on every down on the Bills.

A lot of our team sucked this year. Our secondary, however, is top 3 in the NFL. It's really good and that was without a 1st round corner in McKelvin for most of the year.

Back
Top Bottom