Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft

Your draft grade for Miami's 2012 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really agree with the overall approach of how the FO uses FA, and puts all the pressure on basically needing a very good draft.

I'd rather see us use FA to fill 1-2 starters rolls and give us a little more flexibility in the draft. JMO....but

Actually am a little excited to see what becomes of Tannehill which will also givies us a little better idea of coaching staff's insights (Sherman, Philbin) of which previous coach lack extensively..
But can't really argue the picks at this point, they look to be solid and needed positional players in which much of our organization is resting their futures careers on .....fingers crossed

B plus they filled all needs except DB ended with more picks than they started with. Some reaches but lots of potential. It is going to come down to coaching. The most exciting and best draft of Irelands IMO. I believe Tony S was pushing some of the buttons along with Parcells in the past drafts and now we are seeing more of Ireland and Philbin. We now have 3 decent QB's the right side of the line may be solved. Some potential on the other side of Wake. Some insurance in case Bush gets nicked up which has been his MO in the past. We got really 3 WR'S if you count the TE. So we are covered except for the nickle back and Safty positions compare to last year. Yes the kid from Texas could help fill Langfords departure. College FA signings look like they are going well too starting with signing Fuller.

I give it a C++ or a B-.

I dont like the Vernon and Randall picks, but the other picks were solid.

B+......really found good value in both late WRs that will be a good fit in the WCO. Martin in the second was awesome. Egnew I like but I'm also a bit weary of the TEs coming out of Mizzu......

Unlike NFL comments after draft, I think this is the best draft of Jeff Ireland and I give it a solid A-.

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M, 6'4", 221.
As most fans I was felling this team blew it when Matt Flynn opted for Seahawks, but I got some light after re-watching some chapters of John Gruden's QB Camp. There Ryan Tannehill probed he is the smartest QB of this class and has outstanding football knowledge. Gruden was amazed about Tannehill being able to make every throw and the way that their talk became an advanced class of QB couching. No other guy showed this type of love and knowledge on football. So it's fair to accept he was over-drafted because of his poor experience as QB, but at same time I have no problem seeing him as the starting passer if Philbin opts for the guy who best handles our new offensive system.

Round 2, Pick 10 (42) - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford, 6'5", 312.
When I was comparing mock drafts on several fan sites I noticed Jonathan Martin was a top 15 talent who slipped into 2nd round. I understand we over-drafted on Tannehill, but Jonathan Martin was a complete steal, as we got two first round talents with two picks. It's easy to predict he'll be starting RT for years.

Round 3, Pick 9 (72) - Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami, 6'2", 261.
This is a diamond in the rough that might translate well in our mixed defense. I mean he could serve as DE/OLB in different packages, fitting the no-huddle situations and switching systems with the same personnel. Great addition.

Round 3, Pick 15 (78) - Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri, 6'5", 252.
This school's TE are well known for being great catchers but pessimism blockers. So he can serve as a catching monster and develop into red zone thread but will require time of training before achieving his potential.

Round 4, Pick 2 (97) - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami, 5'11", 212.
Since NY Giants picked at #32, Lamar Miller was the best available player so I was shocked when Dolphins selected this guy. In my eyes he represents first round talent and will be a lethal weapon in years to come.

Round 5, Pick 20 (155) - Josh Kaddu, LB, Oregon, 6'3", 239.
What a hit! Josh Kaddu is going to be the perfect companion for Cam Wake, hunting for opponent passers. All he needs is to workout in order to add some muscle.

Round 6, Pick 13 (183) - B.J. Cunningham, WR, Michigan State, 6'1", 211.
B.J. has good routing and great hands, but will require several reps to mature his skills. Can't see him as a starter this season but he might be a fine contributor.

Round 7, Pick 8 (215) - Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas, 6'4", 293
Don't rule out 7th rounders from becoming stars on the NFL, specially when they have potential to be an important piece of his team. Kheeston Randall can bring pass pressure but it would take some time to develop.

Round 7, Pick 20 (227) - Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada, 6'0", 212
Rishard Matthews is unlikely to become a true starter on the league, but might become a fine receiver with a year or two of good training.

So aside of Jonathan Martin, Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller, this draft was planned "to build through the draft" for the future.

After this draft Miami still needs to address some positions and it's going to be an interesting season where Dolphins will have to suffer being part of one of the hardest divisions of the NFL.

I don't really agree with the overall approach of how the FO uses FA, and puts all the pressure on basically needing a very good draft.

I'd rather see us use FA to fill 1-2 starters rolls and give us a little more flexibility in the draft. JMO....but

Actually am a little excited to see what becomes of Tannehill which will also givies us a little better idea of coaching staff's insights (Sherman, Philbin) of which previous coach lack extensively..
But can't really argue the picks at this point, they look to be solid and needed positional players in which much of our organization is resting their futures careers on .....fingers crossed
I don't agree about it.
Jeff Ireland isn't adding expensive pieces, but he's handling both financial and sportive sides of this business called football.
Both don't stop here and avoid tagging him or this team as "cheap".
Ireland has handled things to create a competitive roster, one capable of winning AFC East.

Solid B with potential for an A+
Obviously, Tannehill will determine if its an A, but a lot of solid picks.
I really like the Egnew pick. Good pass catching tight end. At 6'6" he attacks the ball really well.
Pretty good draft, well done by our FO.

Just did some research on Lamar Miller...wow, this guy could be a steal. Rarely saw him getting tackled on first contact and has great speed with good vision. I like it!

Back
Top Bottom