Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft

Your draft grade for Miami's 2012 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tannehill B+: pick had to be made we needed a QB of the future, if we had traded down either Kansas City, Seattle, Philly, or some other team would have traded up and drafted him.

Martin A+: Steal, was widely considered a 1st round talent protecting Lucks blindside. They say he doesn't have enough punch but I'm sure Jake Long will help him with that.

Vernon B: Don't know enough about him, but what I've heard he is a good pass rusher would should be able to contribute on 3rd down.

Egnew B+: Who cares if he can't block, thats Fasano's job. Will be a match up nightmare with his size and speed in the WCO

Miller A+: Steal of the draft for us. Late first early second round talent. Is big and fast, running back was a need with Reggie's injury history and the lack of production as a rookie from DT.

Rounds 5-7 B+: Would have preferred Josh Brown with one of these picks but everyone seems to be a decent player with potential. All should be able to contribute in some way as rookies.

Overall B+. This draft simply comes down to Tannehill, if hes great everyone will be better.

How can you rate Vernon a B if you dont know anything about him as you acknowledge? Couldn't he be an F? If you don't know, but you got him as a B. This is why I will wait and see. Nobody really knows until ths plays out. I have no idea what to rate this draft and I certainely dont believe anyone else. I hope it all works out. I got no rating.

I think this is easily Ireland's best draft. We needed some help at Oline in the worst way. I'm anxious to see what Tannehill can do with pros around him.

Solid B. Of course if Tannehill pans out it's an A. I think we reached in the 3rd and I would have been happier landing Childs or Streeter. There were a few things in the draft that could have gone more favorably. I think we were trying to to trade up to take Randle which would have helped. Also taking Hill in the 2nd and seeing if Martin slipped or go with Massie later on. Those things would have brought it up to an A in my estimation. But from the perspective of an immediate reaction, this is the best Ireland has done.

I'll give you guys a B+/A-

I thought Miami had one of the best drafts. To get a guy like Jonathan Martin in the 2nd round is brilliant and I think Egnew can be a great weapon n Philbin's system. The Dolphins added talent on both sides of the ball and got good value with all of their picks imo.

What team do you root for bigvince75? It sounds like your a fan of some other team. Thanks for the feedback.

Patriots. I follow all of the other AFCE teams closely; I think every team in the division had a good draft but I really like what Miami did.

Gracious words deserves praise. I love the patriots draft as well. In another thread, the patirots were one of my 3 best drafted teams. Others being NY and GB. Belichick is ahead of the game. In this day and age, defensive front 3 or 4 has to be relentless case in point NY with OSI, TUCK, Kiwanku, Paul. With Jones and Wilfork, those two can bull rush the snot out of every team and collapse the pocket quick. Then, the patriots linebacking corp is insane with downhill thumpers in spikes, mayo, and now Hightower to take the trash out. The patriots are here to stay for years to come almost formidable to the early 2000 team that won those SB.

Forgot to add that your secondary is underrated and very versatile. Chung and Mccourty manning the safety spots, with I-Dowling, allen, arrington and tavon wilson cover the boundaries. The patriots match up well against every team in the NFL; they are a lock into the playoffs.

Gracious words deserves praise. I love the patriots draft as well. In another thread, the patirots were one of my 3 best drafted teams. Others being NY and GB. Belichick is ahead of the game. In this day and age, defensive front 3 or 4 has to be relentless case in point NY with OSI, TUCK, Kiwanku, Paul. With Jones and Wilfork, those two can bull rush the snot out of every team and collapse the pocket quick. Then, the patriots linebacking corp is insane with downhill thumpers in spikes, mayo, and now Hightower to take the trash out. The patriots are here to stay for years to come almost formidable to the early 2000 team that won those SB.

i love how NE addressed the front 7. the linebacking corp used to be the strength of the defense; jones, hightower and bequette can all hopeully contribute and help the front 7. i like Tavon Wilson due to his verstility and taking a chance on Alfonzo Dennard in the 7th was a great move.

As far as Miami goes, the main reason why i liked their draft is that they didn't just go all in with getting a QB; they drafted players who can make his job easier, or at least make their offense better. Martin is a huge upgrade from Colombo and has great upside; Miller could have gone early in the 2nd round and is perfect for the WCO, and Egnew is a very good underrated TE who i think worst case scenario turns into a solid red-zone target.

I thought Vernon was drafted a round too early but he's a solid DE prospect and Kaddu was good value in the 5th. Both of them can play in either the 3-4 or 4-3.

Reactions: MD
Well according to the poll, roughly 90% of the members on Finheaven think our draft was good to very good.

Time will tell how it really turns out, but I do like the direction Miami is headed and I think Philbin and staff will do an excellent job developing these guys.

IMO, the future of our beloved Dolphins will be bright.

I might get flack but outside of martin and matthews, all the picks are on potential. The players slid do to various reasons but the draft is a crap shoot. With the right coaching, I know Philbin and his staff will make potential into results on the field.

Egnew is an offensive safety valve, down the seam TE and red-zone threat as you've said. However, he can't block for chit and he's played for how long in this game from peewee. Of course, coaching and weights can fix that.

Miller is a stretch or sweep type runner and can't make something out of nothing which limits his packages. He also had injuries to his shoulder which dropped his stock. The dolphins now have 6 RBs in the stale.

Randall and Kaddu I know nothing about.

Cunningham set all types of records at MSU and although he doesn't have great leaping ability, I saw him snatch the ball from defenders and at the highest possible point that he could time his jump.

I love Matthews. He is quick and is hard to bring down. YAC monster with the ability to make 5 yard gains into 20+ yards. Lacks another gear and delays getting into his second gear from rest.

I might get flack but outside of martin and matthews, all the picks are on potential. The players slid do to various reasons but the draft is a crap shoot. With the right coaching, I know Philbin and his staff will make potential into results on the field.

Egnew is an offensive safety valve, down the seam TE and red-zone threat as you've said. However, he can't block for chit and he's played for how long in this game from peewee. Of course, coaching and weights can fix that.

Miller is a stretch or sweep type runner and can't make something out of nothing which limits his packages. He also had injuries to his shoulder which dropped his stock. The dolphins now have 6 RBs in the stale.

Randall and Kaddu I know nothing about.

Cunningham set all types of records at MSU and although he doesn't have great leaping ability, I saw him snatch the ball from defenders and at the highest possible point that he could time his jump.

I love Matthews. He is quick and is hard to bring down. YAC monster with the ability to make 5 yard gains into 20+ yards. Lacks another gear and delays getting into his second gear from rest.

both of those guys are underrated defenders. Randall was part of a good dline at Texas and was a guy I was hoping NE would look at in the later rounds. Kaddu can play as an OLB in either the 3-4 or 4-3 and is a decent blitzer. He's a bit smaller than typical outside linebackers but plays bigger than his size. he was projected as a 4th to 5th round pick so the Dolphins got him at the perfect spot.

Back
Top Bottom