Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rapid Fire: Rate the Miami Dolphins draft

Your draft grade for Miami's 2012 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

A lot of players with good size and good combine test numbers hopefully with coachable upside

Maybe lacking on genuinely good football players and I still think the biggest weakness on the roster is lack of leadership which I don't think has been addressed in the offseason

Reached on a few. Looking around the league I think a lot of the good teams did well and a lot of the bad teams didn't so maybe we just solidified ourselves somewhere in the middle

Favourite pick - Martin. Least favourite - Vernon

A-. Very impressed. The players fit the scheme and filled several needs. They didn't panic and trade up for Tannehill and showed conviction in trading up for Miller. I like the fact that they found value at WR after addressing other needs, since this offense is not predicated around reliance on a star receiver. Cunningham and Egnew can finally provide some red-zone targets.

B/B-

We drafted a bunch of skill position players with skill sets that we can work with. Sure beats past drafts with likes of Langford, Merling, Murphy, and Thomas. At least we got some speed.

A 1st round Qb with tools that you look for in a franchise guy.
A solid Tackle from an up and coming Stanford program.
A pressure player, DE with good raw physical skills.
An ideal sized/speed pass catching seam busting tight end.
A blazing fast RB that can steal a touchdown for us, and desperately helps the kick return game.
An outside linebacker with nice burst but lacks some bulk.
A couple productive late round receivers, where one might flash enough to make the team.
And a late flyer on a big bodied athletic DT.

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M, 6'4", 221 - B+
I like Tannehill as a prospect and if you need a QB you go get them, even if he's slotted a little later in the round. If this is Sherman being heard, and influencing the pick then it's a great move. But it's time to finally take a chance on a franchise signal caller and it took some balls to finally go for it.

Round 2, Pick 10 (42) - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford, 6'5", 312 - A-
I was hoping for Randle with this pick, I think he's gonna be a great wideout and anytime a great team like the Giants takes a slider like him, you know why they're one of the better franchises in the NFL for a reason. Martin is a great pick though and shores up the line, giving us two bookend tackles, paired with Pouncey. I rather have a finesse guy on the edge at right tackle and keep the maulers inside. Our pass protection just got a major boost.

Round 3, Pick 9 (72) - Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami, 6'2", 261 - B
Don't know a ton about the guy but he seems well rounded and a potential starter opposite Wake on the edge. Good value and fits a need.

Round 3, Pick 15 (78) - Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri, 6'5", 252 - C
Not crazy about Missouri tight ends and I like other tight ends better than him at this spot. With Massie falling, I would've gone Randle, Vernon, Massie in a perfect world. But still a good second day.

Round 4, Pick 2 (97) - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami, 5'11", 212 - B+
Miller is an incredible value pick here and brings our offense some explosion. Only thing that dings this pick is that we already have good depth at tailback, but in a year or two he could make a big impact.

Round 5, Pick 20 (155) - Josh Kaddu, LB, Oregon, 6'3", 239 - C+
Charles Davis on NFLN loves this kid, I think you plug him in at SAM in the 4-3 and he offers some athleticism and coverage ability.

Round 6, Pick 13 (183) - B.J. Cunningham, WR, Michigan State, 6'1", 211 - B+
Really like Cunningham as a prospect, think he fits great in the WCO and will be an immediate contributor.

Round 7, Pick 8 (215) - Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas, 6'4", 293 - C+
​Disappointing senior year but could provide depth behind Starks and Soliai.

Round 7, Pick 20 (227) - Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada, 6'0", 212 - B-
I remember Greg Cosel tweeting about him, saying he was an intriguing prospect. Another WCO fit, think both him and Cunningham are better options than Moore or Wallace.

Overall I gave the draft a B+. About as happy as I can remember over a Dolphins draft in many years...

Easy A for me. Favorite draft class since '97. Love that we stuck to our board, traded up for a 2nd round talent in the 4th, consistently went BPA and didn't reach for a WR.

Obviously the long term grade rests primarily on Tannehill. Glad we FINALLY showed some conviction on a QB by drafting him in round 1. Hope Ryan can make us all forget about the Brees and Rodgers what-coulda-woulda-shoulda-beens.

B- Overall
Tannehill- B+ I give it a B because he is still a risk at #8 because of his experience but with sherman and philbin here he can be a very good qb.
Martin- A. I like this pick because he was a #1 prospect and a good Lt at stanford even tho i wanted stephen hill i get the pick
Vernon- B. Dont love the pick but it was a pick we needed to upgrade in our pass rush he can be really good in the future
Egnew- C. This pick was average didn't love it didn't hate it, it was something prob phibin wanted he wants freakish tightends in our offense so i do get it. Hopefully he can succeed with clay and make a nice combo.
Miller- A. A nice pick for us didnt really understand why we needed another RB but he was a steal he should of been picked early in the second round so thats good for us. A fast explosive runningback him and bush can do some damage.
Cunningham, Randall, Matthews- B- Cunningham and matthews can be solid Wrs for us good size and good hands. Randall was a good pick we can use some solid depth at DT poistion.

Only bad thing from the draft was not at least being aggressive in getting some nice Wrs when we had the chance. It was our biggest weakness we lost marshall and could of been great to get one Wr worth drafting. We filled some holes we got some explosive players obviously our Oline got better we have 3 great offensive lineman. Let's see what happens :]

Didn't see this thread, my response from another. Not as thorough or detailed as everyone us

ill play this opinion game

Tannehill A- Low risk/High reward. Low risk b/c we already shanked five 2nd round picks in henne, white, feeley, culpepper, beck

Martin B- Need since AFC East defenses improved mightily but would have like schwartz
Vernon B Potential sleeper
Miller B- Injury concerns and too many RBs on team
Egnew C
Kaddu C-
Randall???
Cunningham A- Amazing productive in college to be drafted in 6th value
Matthews B+ Great YAC WCO guy

Overall B

B+. It finally feels like our front office understands how the game has changed and what types of players you need for success.

A- at worst

Franchise QB-check

RT-check

Pass Rusher DE and/or OLB-checK

WR's that can separate, run great routes, perfectly fit this "new" offense-CHECK, CHECK

most important of all :

When's the last Dolphins draft you can remember when you weren't cursing/threatening to destroy your TV after the 1st round pick was made???? I still have nightmares about Ginn over Pat Willis, Sammie Smith, Jason Allen,etc.

For all the Ireland bashing and protesting made over the years....How ya like dem apples??? No more "influence from Parcells" to SUPER-REACH on Pat White, no more trading up in the 2nd for Koa Misi (he's had 3 years to "get it" and he still hasn't), no more wasting a 3rd on Patrick Turner.

From Rick Spielman trading up a pick just to get Vernon Carey, Ted Ginn and his family, taking John Beck in the 2nd *facepalm*, those dreadful days are OVER....Ireland has done a damn good job in year 2 of his full control draft mode.

We should've taken Hill maybe I can admit but "the old remnants from our past" will ruin Hill and he possibly will be out the NFL in 3 years as a result. What was the one of many issues we all had with Sporano???? Answer: Not properly developing young talent. Well whaddayaknow who's the Jets new OC????

Round 1 (pick 8) Grade: A

Player: Ryan Tannehill - QB - Texas A & M

How can you not love this kid? Seriously? I absolutely love the way he handles himself. Watch Grudens QB video. Watch his interviews. This kid has “it”. The unexplainable “it” factor that every QB needs. His character, confidence and charisma. This kid is smart, and extremely likeaable. He can make all the throws. Yes, he is raw and inexperienced and needs to sit, but he is a first round QB - something Miami fans have been crying out for since Marino retired. With the coaching he’ll receive from our new coaching staff, this kid is going to be our franchise QB for years to come. Love the vibes coming from Philbin, Ireland and Ross. Maybe some will say he wasn’t worth the number 8 guy, but you take your franchise guy and that’s it. Love the pick.

Round 2 (pick 42) Grade A

Player: Jonathan Martin – OT – Stanford

Great value. Can play RT immediately and potential future LT if we were to offload Jake. This guy was a first round talent, and many had him as a top 20 pick. Not the most glamorous position, but a first round player in the second round which fills a big need. I did wonder if we could have gone WR here and taken OT in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] (somebody like Bobbie Massie) but a great pick nevertheless.

Round 3 (pick 72) Grade B

Player: Olivier Vernon – DE – University of Miami

Pass rusher – fills a big need. Did we reach? Maybe slightly. This kid has a ton of upside, however. Suspended for a lot of last season, but this kid is a good athlete, and performed well at the combine. Could prove to be a very nice pick indeed.

Round 3 (pick 78) Grade B

Player: Michael Egnew – TE – Missouri

Big seam tight end at 6”5 and 250 pounds. Again I figured we maybe reached a bit and possibly he could have been had later. Watching his tape he could be valuable in the red zone.. Overall he adds something we lacked, a big play making tight end.

Round 4 (pick 97) Grade B+

Player: Lamar Miller – RB – University of Miami

Did not expect this although I like the pick. Maybe we didn’t need a running back, but this was a great value pick. A possible late first round back in the forth round? Yeh, that’s a good pick. Concerns with injury, as well as his ability to be a three down back in the league – although I’m not sure we’d be looking for him to be that. Overall a nice pick, and while we had more pressing issues than a running back, I understand the value of this pick.

Round 5 (pick 155) Grade B-

Player: Josh Kaddu – LB – Oregon

Can’t say I know too much about this guy. His numbers look decent. I’ve read up a bit on him and keep reading the same thing – this guy can blitz. I’ll give him a B-, not too be to generous or harsh on the kid.

Round 6 (pick 183) Grade B+

Player: BJ Cunningham – WR – Michigan State

I like this pick a lot. Especially in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] round. Runs routes well (WCO), and broke records at MSU to become the schools highest all time leader in both receptions and receiving yards. We need WR’s as everyone knows, whats not to like about this pick?

Round 7 (pick 215) Grade C-

Player: Kheeston Randall – DT – Texas

Camp Fodder IMO. Although it was a 7[SUP]th[/SUP] rounder, so not much should be expected. Maybe Ireland knows something, although I felt this pick could have been used on a player who could actually come in and contribute to our needs.

Round 7 (pick 227) Grade B

Player: Rishard Matthews – WR – Nevada

Another WR which is a positive. His senior year numbers look good – 1,364 yards and 8 TDs. Also returns punts which is a positive.

Overall, a very nice draft which I give a B+.

I felt we drafted well and got good value all round. Nice job Philbin and Ireland.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a draft. It can't be perfect. We hit on all our needs except cornerback, and Smith might see the light. Solid B.

I'm not football expert judge but I like Tanny more and more. Especially after seeing him with Gruden and seeing his intensity for the game. It was easy too see Gruden was impressed as well. I was wondering how Marino was recieved way back when by the so called experts. Since his first few games were not that impressive.

Lol my glasses are no where near as rose colored as all yours. This draft is an F. Other than Martin no one drated will be on this team three years from now. Tannehill will prove to be a bust by then as well. Oh well. More years of rebuilding. Cant wait for ireland to go.

Solid B. If Tanne pans out - A. Idk, I really like the Egnew pick. Can´t block? At 6"5 250 lbs? Well see about that. If anything else, there might be that big red zone target right there.

Back
Top Bottom