Rate The Qb Backups... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rate The Qb Backups...

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Rate the quarterbacks, minus Tannihill, on the field tonight. Which would you favor if Ryan is unable to play? Don't measure them by where are seated now, just by tonight's performances.

The thing to remember with Petty is that he's dumber than dirt. I mean like people talk about dumb quarterbacks this, low wonderlic score that, but Baylor's offense could fit on a single sheet of paper and Bryce Petty needed that simplified. He's just there to run some basic plays for the fourth stringers because he throws a beautiful football.

I think if you're looking at Petty as a serious backup option, that's got to be more of a long term thing. I don't think the comfort level is even close for him to run the offense under Gase.

The thing to remember with Petty is that he's dumber than dirt. I mean like people talk about dumb quarterbacks this, low wonderlic score that, but Baylor's offense could fit on a single sheet of paper and Bryce Petty needed that simplified. He's just there to run some basic plays for the fourth stringers because he throws a beautiful football.

I think if you're looking at Petty as a serious backup option, that's got to be more of a long term thing. I don't think the comfort level is even close for him to run the offense under Gase.
Not sure where you got the "dumber than dirt" from. From everything I heard he is a pretty smart kid. FWIW his wonderlic score was well above average and just a couple points shy from Mariota unless you declare him stupid as well.
Yeah Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Tannehill were just a few points higher as well. What QBs were behind him (just the most famous ones)? Troy Aikman, Philipp Rivers, John Elway, Andy Dalton, Jimmy Garoppolo, Drew Brees, Peyton "****ing" Manning, Rich Gannon, Carson Palmer....do I need to go on?

Most college teams have a playbook worth ****. You have a handfull of plays and you improvise. There is not that many teams who have a decent sized playbook. That's why the transition from college to NFL is so hard for QBs.

Petty played grocery baggers:

Fales
Petty, despite my comments
Brock

Carry 2, if Tanny goes down start Fales and sign a veteran backup.

Grocery baggers or not he threw the prettiest passes from all three back ups. He also was not an up and down. His drive was very consistent and that throw into the corner of the endzone??? Grocery baggers or not they did cover that play very well and Petty threw the ball in the one and only spot.

We know what get from Osweiler. For a player who was a starter in the NFL I expect more. I'd drop him.
In regards to Fales: he is now in his fourth year in the league. This is his second year with us. At what point can I expect some consistency against 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers. He had a couple great passes followed by a bunch of snoozers.
Petty is the unknown but of all three backups today he looked the best in his short sting.

Right now I would go with 3 QBs into the season: Tannehill, Fales and Petty. Thankfully there is only one cut date this year so we will see some more of Petty. But I certainly would not just dismiss him as a potential backup.

Unless you can find a Fitzpatrick type veteran as a backup I would not even bother getting a veteran.

It was known coming out of college that the guy is not a genius. Again, they literally had to pare down the playbook at freaking Baylor. There's a reason the Jets cut bait on him even though he's got a great arm and was tough enough to survive getting double deckered by Cam Wake and Donkey Kong Suh.

I do like him as a potential backup, but unless something has radically changed with him since his stop with the Jets, he will need more time to learn the intricacies of the offense. A lot more time.

It was known coming out of college that the guy is not a genius. Again, they literally had to pare down the playbook at freaking Baylor. There's a reason the Jets cut bait on him even though he's got a great arm and was tough enough to survive getting double deckered by Cam Wake and Donkey Kong Suh.

I do like him as a potential backup, but unless something has radically changed with him since his stop with the Jets, he will need more time to learn the intricacies of the offense. A lot more time.
Genius? The stupidest QBs were some of the greatest QB. Jim Kelly and Dan Marino to name two. Their WS was half of what Petty's was.
The Jets are the graveyard of QBs. Just a step above the Browns. They are worse in picking starting QBs than we were over the last couple decades and that is saying something.
I am not looking for a starter. I am looking for a backup in case the starter goes down for a couple of games. And right now, today, after one preseason game he looked better than the other two. Since I do not have a crystal ball I am looking forward to the next couple of pre-season games to see how he will do.

Most college QBs are a product of the system. Again, that's why it is so hard for QBs to become starters and/or valuable QBs in the NFL. I do not know how Petty was rated coming out of college. So, I just re-read a couple of them now. Not one evaluation said that he is a dumb QB or dumber than dirt. Most say that he has starting potential but need a lot of work and time to develop. But I am not looking for a starter. I am looking for a backup. The requirements are totally different.

Right now, after today, my QBs would be: Tannehill, Fales and Petty. I put Fales above Petty for now because he is in his second year with us. Osweiler is my cut for now.

Based on a very limited 1-game sampling size with the expectation of shifting parameters over the next 3 weeks, I'd rank Petty as #1 not just for his passing but also for the fire/enthusiasm he exhibits. I'd put Fales as a reasonably close 2nd with Osweiler as odd man out... for qualitative reasons but beyond them, if nothing more than for the pass deflections which should not happen at his height.

However, as much as I'm bullish on Gase, his default, that hopefully will not end up being a "fatal flaw" seems to be going with players he's had past familiarity with so I wouldn't be surprised if it's Osweiler if we retain 3, although not for the right reasons.

Petty and Fales looked far better then Osweiler. Fales needs a stronger arm though.his passes lack zip

However, as much as I'm bullish on Gase, his default, that hopefully will not end up being a "fatal flaw" seems to be going with players he's had past familiarity with so I wouldn't be surprised if it's Osweiler if we retain 3, although not for the right reasons.

Yep, he has a loyalty/attachment to people he's spent time working with. Osweiler will stay if we keep 3.

I think I like Petty more than most football people, so it's weird to be having this argument. All I'm saying is, when the guy is cut in two weeks, it's because of what's going on between his ears, and not because of his arm.

Brock is 6'7" and had 3 balls batted down. There's something wrong there. He does have a low release for his size. I don't see a lot to like about B.O. just yet. I need to see a bunch more of all of them. I 'd go with Fales as the back up. He's sort of a Brian Hoyer type, similar size. Nick Foles had one great season before ending up as a back up for the Eagles. IMO Tannehill and Foles aren't that far apart in talent. The point, if the Eagles can win the Super Bowl with Foles then the Dolphins can win with RT. But, we're talking about back ups. We should still be looking because no one on our roster is leading us to the Play Offs if RT goes down. I'm still glad we have Jerome Baker instead of Mason Rudolph, the kid balled last night, just the beginning for 55 and 52.

Back
Top Bottom