Rate The Qb Backups...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CRIOS, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:18 PM.

1. CRIOS

CRIOS Formerly: A&O Finheaven VIP Donator

Rate the quarterbacks, minus Tannihill, on the field tonight. Which would you favor if Ryan is unable to play? Don't measure them by where are seated now, just by tonight's performances.

2. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

I think Petty looked the sharpest (the INT was, of course, a desperation last play). Fales looked competent. Brock looked blah.

Beach Bum 91, Ray R and DrMultimedia like this.
  3. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

The thing to remember with Petty is that he's dumber than dirt. I mean like people talk about dumb quarterbacks this, low wonderlic score that, but Baylor's offense could fit on a single sheet of paper and Bryce Petty needed that simplified. He's just there to run some basic plays for the fourth stringers because he throws a beautiful football.

I think if you're looking at Petty as a serious backup option, that's got to be more of a long term thing. I don't think the comfort level is even close for him to run the offense under Gase.

4. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Petty played grocery baggers:

Fales
    Petty, despite my comments
    Brock

Carry 2, if Tanny goes down start Fales and sign a veteran backup.

5. CRIOS

CRIOS Formerly: A&O Finheaven VIP Donator

I second that...

Anvil35 likes this.
  6. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

if any of these guys play we are so screwed, at least they dont cost $10 million though.

7. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Fales was hands down the better QB between him and Osweiler, or so it seemed.

MelbournePhin and Ray R like this.
  8. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Not sure where you got the "dumber than dirt" from. From everything I heard he is a pretty smart kid. FWIW his wonderlic score was well above average and just a couple points shy from Mariota unless you declare him stupid as well.
    Yeah Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Tannehill were just a few points higher as well. What QBs were behind him (just the most famous ones)? Troy Aikman, Philipp Rivers, John Elway, Andy Dalton, Jimmy Garoppolo, Drew Brees, Peyton "****ing" Manning, Rich Gannon, Carson Palmer....do I need to go on?

Most college teams have a playbook worth ****. You have a handfull of plays and you improvise. There is not that many teams who have a decent sized playbook. That's why the transition from college to NFL is so hard for QBs.

Grocery baggers or not he threw the prettiest passes from all three back ups. He also was not an up and down. His drive was very consistent and that throw into the corner of the endzone??? Grocery baggers or not they did cover that play very well and Petty threw the ball in the one and only spot.

We know what get from Osweiler. For a player who was a starter in the NFL I expect more. I'd drop him.
    In regards to Fales: he is now in his fourth year in the league. This is his second year with us. At what point can I expect some consistency against 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers. He had a couple great passes followed by a bunch of snoozers.
    Petty is the unknown but of all three backups today he looked the best in his short sting.

Right now I would go with 3 QBs into the season: Tannehill, Fales and Petty. Thankfully there is only one cut date this year so we will see some more of Petty. But I certainly would not just dismiss him as a potential backup.

Unless you can find a Fitzpatrick type veteran as a backup I would not even bother getting a veteran.

retarmyfinfan2, artdnj and Ray R like this.
  9. J. David Wannyheimer

It was known coming out of college that the guy is not a genius. Again, they literally had to pare down the playbook at freaking Baylor. There's a reason the Jets cut bait on him even though he's got a great arm and was tough enough to survive getting double deckered by Cam Wake and Donkey Kong Suh.

I do like him as a potential backup, but unless something has radically changed with him since his stop with the Jets, he will need more time to learn the intricacies of the offense. A lot more time.

EricCartman and Ray R like this.
  10. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Genius? The stupidest QBs were some of the greatest QB. Jim Kelly and Dan Marino to name two. Their WS was half of what Petty's was.
    The Jets are the graveyard of QBs. Just a step above the Browns. They are worse in picking starting QBs than we were over the last couple decades and that is saying something.
    I am not looking for a starter. I am looking for a backup in case the starter goes down for a couple of games. And right now, today, after one preseason game he looked better than the other two. Since I do not have a crystal ball I am looking forward to the next couple of pre-season games to see how he will do.

Most college QBs are a product of the system. Again, that's why it is so hard for QBs to become starters and/or valuable QBs in the NFL. I do not know how Petty was rated coming out of college. So, I just re-read a couple of them now. Not one evaluation said that he is a dumb QB or dumber than dirt. Most say that he has starting potential but need a lot of work and time to develop. But I am not looking for a starter. I am looking for a backup. The requirements are totally different.

Right now, after today, my QBs would be: Tannehill, Fales and Petty. I put Fales above Petty for now because he is in his second year with us. Osweiler is my cut for now.

artdnj and Ray R like this.
  11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Based on a very limited 1-game sampling size with the expectation of shifting parameters over the next 3 weeks, I'd rank Petty as #1 not just for his passing but also for the fire/enthusiasm he exhibits. I'd put Fales as a reasonably close 2nd with Osweiler as odd man out... for qualitative reasons but beyond them, if nothing more than for the pass deflections which should not happen at his height.

However, as much as I'm bullish on Gase, his default, that hopefully will not end up being a "fatal flaw" seems to be going with players he's had past familiarity with so I wouldn't be surprised if it's Osweiler if we retain 3, although not for the right reasons.

Ray R likes this.
  12. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Petty and Fales looked far better then Osweiler. Fales needs a stronger arm though.his passes lack zip

Ray R likes this.
  13. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Yep, he has a loyalty/attachment to people he's spent time working with. Osweiler will stay if we keep 3.

Ray R likes this.
  14. J. David Wannyheimer

I think I like Petty more than most football people, so it's weird to be having this argument. All I'm saying is, when the guy is cut in two weeks, it's because of what's going on between his ears, and not because of his arm.

15. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Brock is 6'7" and had 3 balls batted down. There's something wrong there. He does have a low release for his size. I don't see a lot to like about B.O. just yet. I need to see a bunch more of all of them. I 'd go with Fales as the back up. He's sort of a Brian Hoyer type, similar size. Nick Foles had one great season before ending up as a back up for the Eagles. IMO Tannehill and Foles aren't that far apart in talent. The point, if the Eagles can win the Super Bowl with Foles then the Dolphins can win with RT. But, we're talking about back ups. We should still be looking because no one on our roster is leading us to the Play Offs if RT goes down. I'm still glad we have Jerome Baker instead of Mason Rudolph, the kid balled last night, just the beginning for 55 and 52.

16. J. David Wannyheimer

I talked about this in the other thread, but his size works against him. I don't know why people think that him being three inches taller means that it's impossible for these 6'2" defensive ends to get their giant arms up in front of the football.

As quarterbacks get taller, their arms get longer and so does their release. Maybe it's only 30 milliseconds, but that's still something. You combine that with the fact that it's easier for defensive linemen to actually see the quarterback over the head of the linemen in front of them... and yeah, you get batted balls.

Brock Osweiler's height actually works against him, IMO. You find me a 6'8" quarterback who ever did well in pro football and it'll be the first one I can ever think of.

EricCartman, tazthenomad and Ray R like this.
  17. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Fales is the back up and that's it imo

18. martigan

martigan Member

I would say that Fales can be a Jeff Garcia 2.0 with his decent ball placement (most of the time), that is if he's given the chance. I believe he would be consistent in this regard. Petty shows flashes of excitement and good play, but takes too many chances with not enough positive results to back that up. Osweiler is barely hanging on in the league, and I'm not sure if he'll get another NFL shot if he doesn't make the team. I think we'll get a better idea with maybe all three given a chance with the #1 and #2 offenses.

Ray R likes this.
  19. nick1

Would have been nice if Fales could have hit Gesicki. He showed poor timing and placement on that play. But this was a nice play

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    NBP81, GUH-sick-EE and Superself like this.
  20. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Jeff Garcia? One would hope but I doubt it

MelbournePhin likes this.
  21. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I liked that Gase was alternating Fales and Osweiler back and forth. I am not sure, but it looked like he generally kept the same level of guys in working with both. If that is true, and all things being relatively equal then it is obvious to anyone who watched the game that Osweiler was the problem and couldn't do squat. Fales wasn't on Tannehill's level, but at least he was able to move the ball somewhat and give those who were playing with him a chance to put something on tape. Keeping a guy like Osweiler around is pointless. It only benefits him and everyone else playing with him suffers from his ineptness. Gase should cut Osweiler now. It's not like he won't be available later if we need a body to help us secure the 1st pick in next years draft.

Michael Scott and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  22. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

I’m going against the grain with everyone in here. I put Fales and Osweiler as equal right now, there’s 3 more games to see who pulls away, but I see them as both just meh right now. I don’t see Petty as any kind of threat to either of the 3.

23. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

I believe our backup QB will be Fales when all is said and done. But if I'm the GM of this team I pay close attention to the Jets backup situation at the start of the season. Have to believe they'll keep 3 QBs but it's definitely worth monitoring.

24. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

My 2 cents on the subject says if you have a 6'7 qb throwing to a 5'11 or 6 foot receiver that is only 10 or 15 yards away I don't see where the height is really a factor. It does't take a rocket scientist to figure that a ball thrown from that height to the chest of a shorter receiver a short distance away has to travel at a trajectory that any 6'4 defensive lineman can easily bat down. It's not like he's getting passes with a high arch that are aimed 30 or 40 yards down the field batted. Imagine standing on one side of you living room and throwing a ball to your kid at the other end. Unless you're lobbing the ball it's not hard to imagine a person standing a few feet from you with their arms up, sometimes jumping, getting a hand on the ball sometimes. Batted passes are usually more of a problem of the oline allowing the defender to get his arms up than a problem of the quarterback throwing at the wrong trajectory.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    Spiff likes this.
  25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I don't look at our backup situation as dire as others this year our only real alternative was to draft a QB in the first round which would have definitely canned this season with a QB controversy. Petty definitely threw the nicest ball of the 3. Would like to see him against 1st and 2nd stringers. He moved the ball down the field and into the end zone.l, where eberyone else struggled. With experienced QB and NFL former starters I expect more.
    That all being said with Gase and his blinders on its still Fales, Brock and Petty.
    Mext game I would play Fales, Petty and Brock and see what I have. Gase is probably not going to do that him being stuborn.

Ray R likes this.
  26. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Petty looked really good in his short amount of time. I'd like to see him get more work next game.

Ray R likes this.
  27. martigan

martigan Member

Let's say Jeff Garcia without the same scrambling/running ability.

28. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I see Fales as the favorite to be the backup, but let's play it out over the next few weeks and see if one of them really lifts his game. Petty did well to almost pull off a win and even Osweiler had some good moments vs Tampa Bay.

Ray R likes this.
  29. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

Why? Seriously if 17 goes down, it's another lost season. None of them have a future as a starter in the NFL.

39wildman likes this.
  30. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Wasn't Petty the Jets QB who when questioned about his awareness said he's been playing a lot of Madden? lol

31. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

dolphins are being too cheap when it come to back up qb.....their not looking out for future of this team.... on real they need draft qb next yr rd 1-3

32. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

Petty's TD throw was a thing of beauty, no matter who you are playing against to put that ball in that spot where only your wideout can make a play shows real talent. Fales is a competent back up too, I would be happy to roll with either of them as number 2, tbh in Tanny goes down we are screwed so it doesn't really matter.

33. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Lazy answer.
    I'm sure Eagles fans thought the same thing before Wentz got hurt last year. If the other players around the QB are playing well, you never know what may happen.

Ray R likes this.
  34. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

Foles is good qb.. as well and I don't want compare him to thill17... but our backup.... Miami come on man.. blind gm can do better than that????

35. nick1

Nobody thought that when he was with the rams. He had a 69 passer rating

NBP81 and Superself like this.
  36. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

nd I d
    jeff fisher is qb killer thill17 would be done as well if he was with rams.. I am not picking side but foles was good w eagles first time around...

Ray R likes this.
  37. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

Lazy would suggest that I hadn't given it the thought that it deserved. IMO, I gave it the proper amount. It's not "lazy" to avoid wasting time.

38. Superself

Most backup QBs are backups for a reason. They are not starters. That is why I said it was lazy because its like saying water is wet.

39. Superself

There must be 31 other blind GMs in the league then huh? Nobody would have called Foles a good QB prior to last year.

40. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

It is true that they are backups for a reason. I just don't think it matters whatsoever who the backup is in this situation. Some teams (the dirty rotten patriots for example) can still be successful if a backup plays. I don't think it makes a dimes worth of difference in this case.