Rate The Qb Backups... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rate The Qb Backups...

Brock is 6'7" and had 3 balls batted down. There's something wrong there. He does have a low release for his size. I don't see a lot to like about B.O. just yet. I need to see a bunch more of all of them. I 'd go with Fales as the back up. He's sort of a Brian Hoyer type, similar size. Nick Foles had one great season before ending up as a back up for the Eagles. IMO Tannehill and Foles aren't that far apart in talent. The point, if the Eagles can win the Super Bowl with Foles then the Dolphins can win with RT. But, we're talking about back ups. We should still be looking because no one on our roster is leading us to the Play Offs if RT goes down. I'm still glad we have Jerome Baker instead of Mason Rudolph, the kid balled last night, just the beginning for 55 and 52.

I talked about this in the other thread, but his size works against him. I don't know why people think that him being three inches taller means that it's impossible for these 6'2" defensive ends to get their giant arms up in front of the football.

As quarterbacks get taller, their arms get longer and so does their release. Maybe it's only 30 milliseconds, but that's still something. You combine that with the fact that it's easier for defensive linemen to actually see the quarterback over the head of the linemen in front of them... and yeah, you get batted balls.

Brock Osweiler's height actually works against him, IMO. You find me a 6'8" quarterback who ever did well in pro football and it'll be the first one I can ever think of.

I would say that Fales can be a Jeff Garcia 2.0 with his decent ball placement (most of the time), that is if he's given the chance. I believe he would be consistent in this regard. Petty shows flashes of excitement and good play, but takes too many chances with not enough positive results to back that up. Osweiler is barely hanging on in the league, and I'm not sure if he'll get another NFL shot if he doesn't make the team. I think we'll get a better idea with maybe all three given a chance with the #1 and #2 offenses.

Would have been nice if Fales could have hit Gesicki. He showed poor timing and placement on that play. But this was a nice play

Last edited:
I would say that Fales can be a Jeff Garcia 2.0 with his decent ball placement (most of the time), that is if he's given the chance. I believe he would be consistent in this regard. Petty shows flashes of excitement and good play, but takes too many chances with not enough positive results to back that up. Osweiler is barely hanging on in the league, and I'm not sure if he'll get another NFL shot if he doesn't make the team. I think we'll get a better idea with maybe all three given a chance with the #1 and #2 offenses.

Jeff Garcia? One would hope but I doubt it

I liked that Gase was alternating Fales and Osweiler back and forth. I am not sure, but it looked like he generally kept the same level of guys in working with both. If that is true, and all things being relatively equal then it is obvious to anyone who watched the game that Osweiler was the problem and couldn't do squat. Fales wasn't on Tannehill's level, but at least he was able to move the ball somewhat and give those who were playing with him a chance to put something on tape. Keeping a guy like Osweiler around is pointless. It only benefits him and everyone else playing with him suffers from his ineptness. Gase should cut Osweiler now. It's not like he won't be available later if we need a body to help us secure the 1st pick in next years draft.

I’m going against the grain with everyone in here. I put Fales and Osweiler as equal right now, there’s 3 more games to see who pulls away, but I see them as both just meh right now. I don’t see Petty as any kind of threat to either of the 3.

I believe our backup QB will be Fales when all is said and done. But if I'm the GM of this team I pay close attention to the Jets backup situation at the start of the season. Have to believe they'll keep 3 QBs but it's definitely worth monitoring.

I talked about this in the other thread, but his size works against him. I don't know why people think that him being three inches taller means that it's impossible for these 6'2" defensive ends to get their giant arms up in front of the football.

As quarterbacks get taller, their arms get longer and so does their release. Maybe it's only 30 milliseconds, but that's still something. You combine that with the fact that it's easier for defensive linemen to actually see the quarterback over the head of the linemen in front of them... and yeah, you get batted balls.

Brock Osweiler's height actually works against him, IMO. You find me a 6'8" quarterback who ever did well in pro football and it'll be the first one I can ever think of.

My 2 cents on the subject says if you have a 6'7 qb throwing to a 5'11 or 6 foot receiver that is only 10 or 15 yards away I don't see where the height is really a factor. It does't take a rocket scientist to figure that a ball thrown from that height to the chest of a shorter receiver a short distance away has to travel at a trajectory that any 6'4 defensive lineman can easily bat down. It's not like he's getting passes with a high arch that are aimed 30 or 40 yards down the field batted. Imagine standing on one side of you living room and throwing a ball to your kid at the other end. Unless you're lobbing the ball it's not hard to imagine a person standing a few feet from you with their arms up, sometimes jumping, getting a hand on the ball sometimes. Batted passes are usually more of a problem of the oline allowing the defender to get his arms up than a problem of the quarterback throwing at the wrong trajectory.

Last edited:
I don't look at our backup situation as dire as others this year our only real alternative was to draft a QB in the first round which would have definitely canned this season with a QB controversy. Petty definitely threw the nicest ball of the 3. Would like to see him against 1st and 2nd stringers. He moved the ball down the field and into the end zone.l, where eberyone else struggled. With experienced QB and NFL former starters I expect more.
That all being said with Gase and his blinders on its still Fales, Brock and Petty.
Mext game I would play Fales, Petty and Brock and see what I have. Gase is probably not going to do that him being stuborn.

Fales is the back up and that's it imo
I see Fales as the favorite to be the backup, but let's play it out over the next few weeks and see if one of them really lifts his game. Petty did well to almost pull off a win and even Osweiler had some good moments vs Tampa Bay.

Why? Seriously if 17 goes down, it's another lost season. None of them have a future as a starter in the NFL.

The thing to remember with Petty is that he's dumber than dirt. I mean like people talk about dumb quarterbacks this, low wonderlic score that, but Baylor's offense could fit on a single sheet of paper and Bryce Petty needed that simplified. He's just there to run some basic plays for the fourth stringers because he throws a beautiful football.

I think if you're looking at Petty as a serious backup option, that's got to be more of a long term thing. I don't think the comfort level is even close for him to run the offense under Gase.

Wasn't Petty the Jets QB who when questioned about his awareness said he's been playing a lot of Madden? lol

Back
Top Bottom