Refined take on Grier and OL investments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Refined take on Grier and OL investments

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
So what's going around is that we've spent a ton of draft capital on the OL with few results so far. I would submit that, more precisely, our biggest error was trying to bargain-basement our tackles.

Our recent high picks on OL:
Jackson (#18, but 5th tackle taken)
Hunt (#39)
Eichenberg (#42)

So we could end up essentially having overpaid for 3 quality guards none of them pan out as tackles and have to be moved inside. The main sin was thinking we could avoid paying top draft capital for our franchise tackle pieces. Good news is this is something that FA could fix next year--just pony up the actual worth for a solid LT (~$15/mill per yr should get us a top 6-8 tackle, according to sportrac)...if we have our G and C spots nailed down this year, plus use a jesse davis at RT, we should be fine.

What makes you think Austin Jackson can play guard? He played LT at USC and has never played guard to my knowledge. He was raw when they drafted him though and needs a lot of work still. Eichenberg also played LT at Notre Dame. The only true guard out of that bunch is Robert Hunt.

Good teams find quality offensive lineman later in the draft. Issue is, we have failed miserably in scouting and drafting them. Second rounders are premier picks, albeit yes, we have not picked any in the top 10.

if Eichenberg fails, it’s a huge issue considering we moved up for him. If Jackson fails, that’s a first rounder. As of now, these tackles are failing. It’s early for Eichenberg, but Jackson should be better.

deiter 3rd
jackson 1st
hunt 2nd
kindley 4th
eich 2nd

meh. i am not in the "we've invested a ton of draft capital on the oline" camp.

i'm not saying we've overlooked it, but it could have been waaaay worse, draft-capital-wise.

Players take time to develop and an OL takes time to build cohesion.

NFL career games started so far:

15 - Deiter (all at LG in 2019)
13 - Kindley
12 - Jackson
11 - Hunt

Kindley, Jackson, and Hunt also played in their first preseason game Saturday.

It’s a process that will need continuous tweaking. That is the nature of the NFL.

Dame I knew we should of taken a T at 3 that was still there at 6. And the team at 5 didn’t take him with a line more than likely worse then ours.

So what's going around is that we've spent a ton of draft capital on the OL with few results so far. I would submit that, more precisely, our biggest error was trying to bargain-basement our tackles.

Hunt (#39)
Eichenberg (#42)

So we could end up essentially having overpaid for 3 quality guards none of them pan out as tackles and have to be moved inside. The main sin was thinking we could avoid paying top draft capital for our franchise tackle pieces. Good news is this is something that FA could fix next year--just pony up the actual worth for a solid LT (~$15/mill per yr should get us a top 6-8 tackle, according to sportrac)...if we have our G and C spots nailed down this year, plus use a jesse davis at RT, we should be fine.

Your post lives up to your "handle" "issacjunk" i.e. is (a) sac (of) junk - LOL

I think the big issue is that fans are restless and it's hard to be patient. A team could draft five future HOF players on the line and it would still take time for the unit to gel.

Not saying Miami has five future HOF players on the line, but we really don't know what we have yet. Have to give it time. There's going to be ups and downs with a young unit and preseason is a perfect time to work through some growing pains.

Hunt (#39)
Eichenberg (#42)

Oh my....um Jackson could never and I mean never play guard in the NFL.

deiter 3rd
jackson 1st
hunt 2nd
kindley 4th
eich 2nd

meh. i am not in the "we've invested a ton of draft capital on the oline" camp.

i'm not saying we've overlooked it, but it could have been waaaay worse, draft-capital-wise.
IMO people are simply looking for the next thing to over blow now that Tua has been doing well (so far). Like 50 or more OL are drafted a year and most of them don’t pan out in the NFL. The idea that we could draft 5 guys who would all be quality starters with 5 picks is pretty wild to begin with.

What makes you think Austin Jackson can play guard? He played LT at USC and has never played guard to my knowledge. He was raw when they drafted him though and needs a lot of work still. Eichenberg also played LT at Notre Dame. The only true guard out of that bunch is Robert Hunt.

That "natural position" crap is only true if you believe that some college coaches know more about football position requirements than NFL coaches.

It's a simple yes or no (know - LOL) question, do you think that the college coaches know more about appropriate positions for athletes then the NFL coaches?

If you can't make a yes or no answer to that question without using extra words, you've fooled yourself, but you have not fooled me.

This represents a really poor basis for making decisions; any decisions.

We won 10 games last year rotating 2 QB's and with a damaged OL. We had won 5 games the year before that a new FA QB and a makeshift OL.

My conclusion is that the team played better each year making improvements in the Defense and the Offense and a big part of that was the development of our draftees from 2, 3 and even 4 or more years ago.

This year, with an actual preseason to help develop the team and more drafted players beginning their path of development, we may see 15 wins.

If you are still complaining about the OL at the end of this season, I suspect you will find more happiness following a team that you feel has a good OL.

That is unless you are the kind of fan who is only happy complaining.

Is that really you?

First question is -- how in the world does OP believe he has offered a "refined" take?

:bobdole:

Seems folks repackage the same stuff over and over to start a new thread.

It's crazy to me how quickly "refined" fans are to criticize this entire organization. But can't muster to get "refined" right with far less pressure to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom