Refined take on Grier and OL investments | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Refined take on Grier and OL investments

What makes you think Austin Jackson can play guard? He played LT at USC and has never played guard to my knowledge. He was raw when they drafted him though and needs a lot of work still. Eichenberg also played LT at Notre Dame. The only true guard out of that bunch is Robert Hunt.

Physically he is what you want from a Tackle. Can he play guard? Of course he can. Many tackles that were drafted as tackles ended up as guards to make up for their weaknesses such as feet movement etc that is required from a tackle.

I definitely concentrated on the offensive line, but I missed that. Also, I only watched the first half and thought the pass blocking was passable.

I'm dependent on the posts I read, so I can't even say for sure that it happened, I can only say I read it happened.

Could it be different interpretations of the same play? It would be great to see some highlights, if they are available.

Back in Vietnam I heard you stood up two guys blindfolded.

Yeah, but my only active duty station was Tijuana while I was stationed (1965 thru 1966) at MCRD, San Diego and in Pendleton at camp Horno (really, not a made up name). - LOL

Don't forget, due to my good looks I was a Hollywood Marine - LOL

I spent my free evenings in Tijuana (an official Tijuana Raider) and my weekends at Mission Beach. Yea, it was tough duty, but someone had to do it - LOL

Last edited:
What makes you think Austin Jackson can play guard? He played LT at USC and has never played guard to my knowledge. He was raw when they drafted him though and needs a lot of work still. Eichenberg also played LT at Notre Dame. The only true guard out of that bunch is Robert Hunt.
Where is the track record of Hunt playing guard in comparison to Hunt playing RT?

I'm dependent on the posts I read, so I can't even say for sure that it happened, I can only say I read it happened.

Could it be different interpretations of the same play? It would be great to see some highlights, if they are available.
I think Deiter and Hunt both played well, but it's also hard to zero in on the offensive line. The game was so vanilla that it was pretty boring as well. Doubt I'll watch the second half.

As to Jackson, pretty much everything I've read on his game was extremely negative. Yet, there were no sacks allowed.

Players take time to develop and an OL takes time to build cohesion.

NFL career games started so far:

15 - Deiter (all at LG in 2019)
13 - Kindley
12 - Jackson
11 - Hunt

Kindley, Jackson, and Hunt also played in their first preseason game Saturday.

It’s a process that will need continuous tweaking. That is the nature of the NFL.
You have a point but the scars are still fresh from having thought the same thing w Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner and Jamal Douglass. Let’s not have a repeat I pray 🙏

Coaching, continuity, and camaraderie builds the oline into a cohesive unit.
Give it a season or two.
These players are just getting started.
Patience grasshopper.

Is kicking Austin Jackson to RT and having Liam play LT completely out of the question? I am not saying do it but maybe just try it?

It was a few months ago when I realized we haven’t been able to draft EVEN ONE player for the OL outside of the 1st round that has been even “decent” in 15+ years. It’s shocking. This is Grier’s biggest weakness no doubt about it.

With that said, I’m not giving up on the group we drafted in the last two years just yet - we need to see improvements this year, but my hope is that McKenzie and Marvin Allen had a hand in the OL drafts from the last two years so I’m willing to see this season through.

Preseason game 1 actually wasn’t as bad as the forum is making it out to be. The new RT hasn’t even been given a fair shake yet and our guys from last year all did fairly well until injuries.

My expectation is this unit will be ranked 15-20 this year for them to not have been a failure. If they are, our offense will do well. I hope I’m right.

I think Deiter and Hunt both played well, but it's also hard to zero in on the offensive line. The game was so vanilla that it was pretty boring as well. Doubt I'll watch the second half.

As to Jackson, pretty much everything I've read on his game was extremely negative. Yet, there were no sacks allowed.
This is Jackson's modus operandi so far. His length and quick feet make it hard to beat him quickly and immediately off the snap, even against great pass rushers, so he doesn't give up many sacks - 0 this game, and 4 (tied for 19th, well above average last year). And yes that is something - really bad Ot's get beat immediately, and great edge rushers beat average OT's immediately, at least sometimes.

BUT, and like our Big Fish, it's a big Butt, Jackson gets pushed back very often. He stays in front of his guy, but gives up ground more than almost anybody. They say you can always build strength in the weight room, but somehow it's either not happening or not translating with AJack. Maybe he doesn't like lifting, despite having a good big frame? It's frustrating, because as a pass blocking OT vs quick edge rushers, IMO he's the best we got. Hopefully he's better by the Pats game.

Good teams find quality offensive lineman later in the draft. Issue is, we have failed miserably in scouting and drafting them. Second rounders are premier picks, albeit yes, we have not picked any in the top 10.

if Eichenberg fails, it’s a huge issue considering we moved up for him. If Jackson fails, that’s a first rounder. As of now, these tackles are failing. It’s early for Eichenberg, but Jackson should be better.

First question is -- how in the world does OP believe he has offered a "refined" take?

:bobdole:

Seems folks repackage the same stuff over and over to start a new thread.
It also seems to be a direct reply to another thread that exists...

Back
Top Bottom