Refined take on Grier and OL investments | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Refined take on Grier and OL investments

If Jackson plays like he did vs Chicago this oline is headed for dumpster fire.

there’s way too much high picks and money invested in the oline the last 3 years for these continuous nauseating results.

if this group can’t right the ship vs crap fronts like the falcons and bengals tbe next 2 games be afraid. Be very afraid.

Of course that will probably end up being fools gold if we do.

there’s a lot riding on austin Jackson. An awful lot.

no team hoards poor feet and cod like Miami on tbe o line

So we could end up essentially having overpaid for 3 quality guards none of them pan out as tackles and have to be moved inside. The main sin was thinking we could avoid paying top draft capital for our franchise tackle pieces. Good news is this is something that FA could fix next year--just pony up the actual worth for a solid LT (~$15/mill per yr should get us a top 6-8 tackle, according to sportrac)...if we have our G and C spots nailed down this year, plus use a jesse davis at RT, we should be fine.
What makes it a "franchise tackle"? Is it because it's the LT position? Do you realize that Tua is left-handed and Jackson is covering his strong side? Jesse Davis is actually the blindside tackle. It would be like overspending for an RT for a right-handed QB.

there’s way too much high picks and money invested in the oline the last 3 years for these continuous nauseating results.

if this group can’t right the ship vs crap fronts like the falcons and bengals tbe next 2 games be afraid. Be very afraid.

No fan base hoards more Lemmings than Finheaven - LOL

With this much draft capital and watching / reading the draftniks guides on these kids we have drafted plus the FA agent guys we paid for I am looking hard at the Oline coaching as the issue. Considering it's going on our 3 Rd Oline coach in as many years its a red light area. Granted these guys may have been overdrafted a bit that's debatable but even if everyone was drafted a round lower there's enough talent there for a mediocre Oline at least. Come on we have fa guys in the backfield that play well not just high picks which gets back to coaching.

Yeah, no sense in sugar coating it. Jackson looked bad versus Chicago both on pass protection and as a run blocker.

I don't know how many times he went directly against Mack, but that could be a factor. Mack is a nightmare match-up.

I am hopeful that Jackson and the rest of the line turns it around quickly. I also don't want to overreact to a preseason game.

My only beef is not taking Creed Humphrey who looks solid and as-advertised for the Chiefs.

Can't judge a preseason game on an off-season in a pandemic when nothing is normal

Yeah, no sense in sugar coating it. Jackson looked bad versus Chicago both on pass protection and as a run blocker.

I don't know how many times he went directly against Mack, but that could be a factor. Mack is a nightmare match-up.

I am hopeful that Jackson and the rest of the line turns it around quickly. I also don't want to overreact to a preseason game.

he struggled against #50 too whoever the hell that is and he’s struggled against 2s and fringe even this year.

guys who should be a walk in the park for him.

What makes you think Austin Jackson can play guard? He played LT at USC and has never played guard to my knowledge. He was raw when they drafted him though and needs a lot of work still. Eichenberg also played LT at Notre Dame. The only true guard out of that bunch is Robert Hunt.
Drafting a LT who was “raw and needed a lot of work’, your words, really didn’t make a lot of sense when they had just drafted a QB coming off major hip surgery. At this point in his career, Jackson still appears to need a lot of improvement to just be considered a mediocre LT.

Maybe Jackson will eventually develop into an average LT but the fact he is starting because they don’t have a better option at this time is rather concerning, IMO.

While many people have praised Grier for what he got back when he traded away Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. So far 2 of the first round picks they received from those teams in in the 2020 draft leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully Waddle and Holland will develop a lot faster than Jackson and Iggy have so far.

deiter 3rd
jackson 1st
hunt 2nd
kindley 4th
eich 2nd

meh. i am not in the "we've invested a ton of draft capital on the oline" camp.

i'm not saying we've overlooked it, but it could have been waaaay worse, draft-capital-wise.

Concur.

Unlike Tony, Joe, & (esp) Adam, it seems like Flo & Grier at least recognize its an issue & are attempting to fix it

That said, a problem that has been lingering this long won't be fixed over night.

p.s. Seattle has had issues on the OL & have been successful. I see no reason why Miami can't.

I understand he "stood Mack up" on one play.

Can you offer any more information about that play?

Back
Top Bottom