Remember when...the Miami Dolphins hired Tony Sparano? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Remember when...the Miami Dolphins hired Tony Sparano?

Naturally I hope that he turns it around this year. I have heard it said that he is such a high detail guy that he doesn't naturally see the bigger picture. He is always fussing about the minutia (and that has always worked for him as an O-line coach or Offensive Co-ordinator) but the really good Head Coaches can focus on the bigger picture and let their subordinates focus on the minutia.
The inability to get the O-line right has been a very serious problem. They have spent huge money on high draft picks and free agents like Jake Grove, but it hasn't worked to date. He and Ireland are betting big on Pouncey to help fix the problem. They have also bet the farm on Henne.
Sparano's development as a HC will be measured by his capacity to develop players within the system. We've had a few but we need a lot more. Time is running out.

HELLO???? WTF

What I'm talking about assures EVERTHING will be different. What this team has done since Marino has been exactly the same. Trying to win now without a QB = proven failure. How about something actually different for a change? In case you haven't noticed Sparano and company are doing worse year not getting better. This team quit on them last year.

Remind me how many rings the Fins won with Marino. You can win a Super Bowl with a good QB and a good-great team. Last time I checked a great QB doesn't win a superbowl every time. It is the team. The Colts are not a contender when their O-line sucks, WR core, and secondary sucks. The Pats are not going to win a Super Bowl until they can defend like they used to, the Saints D during their Super Bowl run was one of the best. Same can be said for the Packers. I picked the Pack at the beginning of the Playoffs to win it all based on the fact that their QB was the hottest. So I do greatly value the position. But at this point franchise QBs have not made sense in our draft scheme. Ryan was the only one we really had in a spot for value and quality. Trading away multiple picks does not make sense when trying to build a core. Tough decisions to hold true to the line are more important than getting all shook over addressing the QB spot.

IMO we could have taken any QB that was best available anytime in the last 4 years that player would have not moved us any closer to a ring. Long/Davis/Odrick/Pouncey. Maybe Ryan. But I am happy with Long. Add to the fact that Ryan has not won a playoff game with a very good team and I am even more happy with Long. Franchises that were in our state must be built a certain way. And drafting Qbs that don't meet the standard is not a way to get out of the dire straights we were in .

and whats tonys and irelands fix for this stagnant offense that held us back in 2011 you ask??? well its a o coordinator who finished the last 2 years in the bottom 5 of the league in total offense brian daboll and no qb competition/upgrade...

its your funeral tony and jeff ireland...i'll be there to shovel some dirt on you after

this teams so ready to turn on sparano and his old school crap its not funny...let this season start out on a sour note and watch...the players know that the owner has no faith in the head coach they know that him coming back was all an attempt to save face...that contract extension that sparano got is worthless...brandon marshalls gonna be throwing sparano and daboll and company under the bus to the media by the bye week...provided he hasn't been shived

this things a ticking time bomb for us this year...not a matter of if just a matter of when

Remind me how many rings the Fins won with Marino. You can win a Super Bowl with a good QB and a good-great team. Last time I checked a great QB doesn't win a superbowl every time.

Maybe you haven't noticed the changes in the NFL in the last 20 years. It has become a passing league. Look at the last SB winners.

Rodgers, Manning, Ben, Brees, Brady. Pretty glaring huh? You would have to be pretty dense to not notice the pattern. You pretty much can't win the SB without a great QB unless you have an all-time elite D.

I bet more than you think.
Or less. After last seasons 2-6 finish to the who's who of the leagues' worst teams, topped off by that laughable quitjob the players pulled on Sparano and Co in Foxboro, followed by players publicly coming out against Sparano and his grinding, micromanaging style...

This team has 2004 written all over it.

I realize the facts. Here is a list.

1st round QBs taken since 2008
Ryan
Flacco
Stafford
Sanchez
Freeman
Bradford
Tebow
Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder

Ryan was the only one available. Stafford Sanchez Tebow are pretty close to nothing special with varying degrees of reasons. Flacco has been up and down. Freeman may be damn good. And there was no shot at Bradford. Flacco and Sanchez are playoff winners. This years picks were all gone before we picked and all had varying degrees of major issues. So with that said. Picking a franchise QB is not like sitting on this board and whining about why we don't have one. Its a huge investment with exteme results for failure. Since I am stupid I will just leave it at easier said than done, and will side with our current roster situation.

I realize the facts. Here is a list.

1st round QBs taken since 2008
Ryan
Flacco
Stafford
Sanchez
Freeman
Bradford
Tebow
Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder

Ryan was the only one available. Stafford Sanchez Tebow are pretty close to nothing special with varying degrees of reasons. Flacco has been up and down. Freeman may be damn good. And there was no shot at Bradford. Flacco and Sanchez are playoff winners. This years picks were all gone before we picked and all had varying degrees of major issues. So with that said. Picking a franchise QB is not like sitting on this board and whining about why we don't have one. Its a huge investment with exteme results for failure. Since I am stupid I will just leave it at easier said than done, and will side with our current roster situation.

The problem is it has been forever since Miami picked a QB in the 1st rd. All that blame is not on the current regime but at some point you need to realize trading all the 2nd rd picks and drafting 2nd rd and below QBs just hasn't worked. Why not try a 1st rd QB? That may not work either but at least try something different.

The problem is it has been forever since Miami picked a QB in the 1st rd. All that blame is not on the current regime but at some point you need to realize trading all the 2nd rd picks and drafting 2nd rd and below QBs just hasn't worked. Why not try a 1st rd QB? That may not work either but at least try something different.

I think the problem is Miami has not invested enough time in the 2nd round qb's to me it does not matter where a player is drafted if you invest enough time and coaching into a player he can be a viable starter.. Some players catch on faster than others..Miami has too often thought of themselves as a contender and wanted to go out and get a vet only to have that plan blow up in their face..

a good over/under for this team as it currently sits is 6.5

I can set my line where I want. If this guy is as down on them as he is acting then 5.5 is plenty. 6.5 is basically taking last years total. And from the reading I have done he thinks this team is far worse off.

I like Tony, but stop d!ckin' with the O'line every year.

I agree 100%, I also like Tony, but he does have to stop playing musical chairs with his O-line.

He's an O-line coach, he should know that the toughest part is have a line working as one, and as long as every year there is at least 2 new faces, they will never grow to more then at best average.

Back
Top Bottom