Report: Manning had a 4th surgery on his neck | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Manning had a 4th surgery on his neck

I do not want Payton for many reasons. He is not one hit away from being paralyzed any more than any other player is. He had two vertibrates fused together making them one. Once the bone is healed, it will be just as strong as the the rest of his bones except he will not have any motion in that joint (because there is no longer a joint). With that being said I dont want him because of other reasons having to do with the injury and surgery (Range of Motion, Arm strength) and MONEY. To big of a risk.

I do not need to do any research, I'm walking research. I have had spinal fusion.

So did R GILBERT of the NY Rangers, a LONG time ago. He played for years. Oh!!! But THAT is only NHL Hockey, right?

One good shot in that neck area and Peyton will be eating his dinners through a straw as he is drooling out of the corner of his mouth while he sits in his wheelchair for the rest of his life.
Same could be said for any QB. His injury doesn't make him anymore prone than Matt Moore to that type of injury. Doesn't take a whole lot of research to know that.

Bones spurs really aren't a big deal, and they wont keep him out. The "spur" is a misnomer and there is no bone particles floating around in your body. Its an abnormal growth on a bone, usually because of a bone injury in that area. It easily removed but it is painful for a few weeks until the soft tissue around the bone heals. I had one on my heal and learned a bit about it. I'd be more worried about the neck fusion thing. Peyton doesnt need money, he's won a super bowl, and hes 36. There is really nothing left to prove and someone needs to give him a reality check. He can retire now and be in the HoF in 2017.

Manning needs to retire. I have soured on the idea of him coming here.

The truth will come out eventually and all this "he really had four surgueries" crap wont mean much. He either can throw the football or he cannot. He may not be able to right now. He may be able to in 6 months with the same velocity. no one knows. Manning knows where he stands. Noone else does, so for Manning to be out there working at it tells me he thinks he can throw it and if not 100% now, it will eventually be. Otherwise, he will retire.

This hit it right on the money.

Honestly, 3 surgeries, 4 surgeries.. whats the difference... BTW does it really matter.. Manning WILL NOT be a Miami dolphin regardless if he is healthy or not, available or not, or who wants him or not..

Whether its 3 or 4 is not what stands out. He is again looking at more surgery to remove more bone spurs and will likely need more fusions to this neck.

Go home and enjoy your wife and children. It's hard to walk away but that time has come.

Are you actually trying to say that needing 3 surgeries within 2 years to remove bone spurs in the same area of your spine is...routine?

Really?

It isn't that uncommon. A bone spur is nothing more than an overgrowth of bone that is typically caused by the body trying to heal an injury. In Manning's case it's due to the fusion. Which is actually a good sign because it shows that his body is healing itself, albeit going a little overboard. Typically bone spurs are never even noticed, give any problems or are even treated. However, if a vertebral bone spur grows inwards, towards the spinal canal, it may cause spinal stenosis and need treatment. Again though, the removal of such things are fairly "routine". Of course the removal of the spur growing away from the canal is more routine.

Of course none of us are treating Manning so these are all good guesses, at best, but typically the greatest risk after having a spinal fusion is lack of mobility and the area that has been fused is actually stronger than it was before the surgery.

he has a degenerative condition and it wont get better

Seems that way, but do you think he can't play with it? I'm sure he's going to pay when he's older no matter what, but can they do something that will palliate his pain so he can play a few more seasons?

Back
Top Bottom