Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

You gotta give props to the Red Sox management because for the first time they weren't penny pinching like they've done in the past. Obviously this kid is going to be a good pitcher and is going to make an impact for a team. The only negative on this kid is if his arm finally has enough and he suffers an injury. Othe then that, the Red Sox got themselves a hell of a pitcher, end of story. As much as I wanted him, the positive thing for the Yankees in this situation is that you know their going to make some serious moves to counter this. The Yankees aren't just going sit there and let the Red Sox make a move like this and not do anything in return. It is what it is, props to the Red Sox for finally sticking their hands in their pockets and getting something done although it makes me laugh how that stay paying guys who have never done anything in their uniform and continute to let guys go who have done so much for them in their uniform!

MikeO said:
Buster Onley is reporting the Red Sox bid around $45 mill just for the right to talk to the Japanesse pitcher and have won. Official announcement won't be made for another week.

So, they bid $45 mill to talk to the guy. Will end up spending over $100 mill to sign him.

This means two things....
1) Red Sox fans and front office can't cry about the Yanks buying everything. This move puts you in their league.

2) No more EVIL EMPIRE talk when your spending $45 mill just to talk to the guy!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

I'll be awaiting your apology for calling me naive for suggesting the whole process was not, in fact, rigged to bring Matsuzaka to the Yankees. No need for any sort of legal document or lengthy explanation. A simple "my bad" will suffice, thanks.

I wanted that guy...not only because he is a good picther, but because if we have him he isnt on the Red Sox

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
You gotta give props to the Red Sox management because for the first time they weren't penny pinching like they've done in the past. Obviously this kid is going to be a good pitcher and is going to make an impact for a team. The only negative on this kid is if his arm finally has enough and he suffers an injury. Othe then that, the Red Sox got themselves a hell of a pitcher, end of story. As much as I wanted him, the positive thing for the Yankees in this situation is that you know their going to make some serious moves to counter this. The Yankees aren't just going sit there and let the Red Sox make a move like this and not do anything in return. It is what it is, props to the Red Sox for finally sticking their hands in their pockets and getting something done although it makes me laugh how that stay paying guys who have never done anything in their uniform and continute to let guys go who have done so much for them in their uniform!

So you still think the Red Sox should have offered Pedro the contract the Mets did? Sorry but the Sox were 100% right on that move.

Orlando Cabrera is really the only guy that I wish was still on the team and possibly Derek Lowe (but I'm not sure if he would have been as good due to his personal problems).

Damon is the only guy that you can make an arguement about but like Pedro, the Sox were worried he'd turn into a shell of his former self very quickly. So let's talk about the Damon move this time next year.

from buster olney's blog, either way it seems the redsox could win on this

"If Boras and Matsuzaka balk at this and threaten to go back to Japan, the Red Sox could contact other teams and conduct a trade auction and deal the rights to negotiate with him.
Say the Mets bid something in the range of $28 million for Matsuzaka, in their pursuit of a power pitcher. The Red Sox could ask the Mets for reliever Aaron Heilman and a prospect -- maybe Lastings Milledge, maybe a pitcher like Mike Pelfrey or Philip Humber, maybe a lesser player -- in return for Matsuzaka. And the Red Sox could also ask the Mets to forward something close to the posting fee they bid.
The Mets might say no; they might say yes. They need a power pitcher. For Heilman, a prospect and at least a large portion of Boston's posting fee, they could have Matsuzaka. The Red Sox, on the other hand, could pay the difference in the posting fee and get someone like Heilman and more prospects in return. In the end, they would effectively be purchasing talent from other organizations, and at the same time, keep Matsuka away from the Yankees, at a time when he would be a perfect puzzle piece for the rival Bronx Bombers."

phunwin said:
I'll be awaiting your apology for calling me naive for suggesting the whole process was not, in fact, rigged to bring Matsuzaka to the Yankees. No need for any sort of legal document or lengthy explanation. A simple "my bad" will suffice, thanks.

I never said it was "fixed" for the Yanks. I said it would be "fixed" for a major market team. Which BOSTON falls into!! :shakeno: :shakeno:

So no apology! LOL

Ray Finkle said:
So you still think the Red Sox should have offered Pedro the contract the Mets did? Sorry but the Sox were 100% right on that move.

Orlando Cabrera is really the only guy that I wish was still on the team and possibly Derek Lowe (but I'm not sure if he would have been as good due to his personal problems).

Damon is the only guy that you can make an arguement about but like Pedro, the Sox were worried he'd turn into a shell of his former self very quickly. So let's talk about the Damon move this time next year.

They should have kept Damon out of respect!! Seriously. He was one of the main emotional leaders on the team that finally won the world series after 86 years. And it isn't like the 2 sides were THAT far apart! lol

UCFinfan86 said:
from buster olney's blog, either way it seems the redsox could win on this

"If Boras and Matsuzaka balk at this and threaten to go back to Japan, the Red Sox could contact other teams and conduct a trade auction and deal the rights to negotiate with him.
Say the Mets bid something in the range of $28 million for Matsuzaka, in their pursuit of a power pitcher. The Red Sox could ask the Mets for reliever Aaron Heilman and a prospect -- maybe Lastings Milledge, maybe a pitcher like Mike Pelfrey or Philip Humber, maybe a lesser player -- in return for Matsuzaka. And the Red Sox could also ask the Mets to forward something close to the posting fee they bid.
The Mets might say no; they might say yes. They need a power pitcher. For Heilman, a prospect and at least a large portion of Boston's posting fee, they could have Matsuzaka. The Red Sox, on the other hand, could pay the difference in the posting fee and get someone like Heilman and more prospects in return. In the end, they would effectively be purchasing talent from other organizations, and at the same time, keep Matsuka away from the Yankees, at a time when he would be a perfect puzzle piece for the rival Bronx Bombers."

Do you think a team will give up a prospect and $$$ for the right just to talk to this guy though?? I mean it could happen.......but with these japanesse guys it's really hit or miss!! I can't see that happening but I guess anything is possible

MikeO said:
They should have kept Damon out of respect!! Seriously. He was one of the main emotional leaders on the team that finally won the world series after 86 years. And it isn't like the 2 sides were THAT far apart! lol

So put half the blame on Damon then. They made him a fair offer. They didn't low ball him. 4 years for 40 million, just what they gave Varitek (who was also one of the main emotional leaders on the team). Damon just wanted to make the most amount of money which the Sox didn't offer so he went to the team that did.

At least the Sox gave Damon a serious offer unlike Pedro and Lowe who were both more important to the team's success than Damon was.

MikeO said:
Do you think a team will give up a prospect and $$$ for the right just to talk to this guy though?? I mean it could happen.......but with these japanesse guys it's really hit or miss!! I can't see that happening but I guess anything is possible

It happened with Irabu. Prospects were exchanged and money so it could happen however I doubt it will.

Ray Finkle said:
So put half the blame on Damon then. They made him a fair offer. They didn't low ball him. 4 years for 40 million, just what they gave Varitek (who was also one of the main emotional leaders on the team). Damon just wanted to make the most amount of money which the Sox didn't offer so he went to the team that did.

At least the Sox gave Damon a serious offer unlike Pedro and Lowe who were both more important to the team's success than Damon was.

Yeah it's not like they short-changed Damon.. both parties had a share in regards to him leaving.

MikeO said:
I know you will think it's just me hating on the Sox, but

you're right... it sounds like it, because that's what it is... just admit it, and we can all move forward... i hate the yankees, i admit it... :D

anyhow, as to your original antagonistic post, please don't insult our intelligence by suggesting that because of the one (1) time we actually outbid you on a player, that we're REMOTELY close to your heroes in terms of greed... besides, we dont even have him yet...

nonetheless, when the time comes that we, the second highest payroll, pony up the extra $80-something million to match the Corporation, then perhaps you can put us in the same "no excuse" stratosphere.... until then, we're still just as good as the Corporation, at 33% less the cost.... i can only imagine what our front office would put together with the extra $80M... the division would be over by late July....

ya...

MikeO said:
I never said it was "fixed" for the Yanks. I said it would be "fixed" for a major market team. Which BOSTON falls into!! :shakeno: :shakeno:

So no apology! LOL

"Odds are Boras is going to say, he really wants to be in NY or Seattle or a major market with a japanese culture close by"

Last time I checked, Boston does not have a huge Japanese culture.

You're just ridiculous. You always have these grand conspiracy theories that Selig rigged this or this owner is holding back that or blah blah blah. You have absolutely no ability to admit when you're wrong, and the above quote proves it.

Back
Top Bottom