Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: RED SOX win top bid for Japanesse pitcher

RWhitney014 said:
"Odds are Boras is going to say, he really wants to be in NY or Seattle or a major market with a japanese culture close by"

Last time I checked, Boston does not have a huge Japanese culture.

You're just ridiculous. You always have these grand conspiracy theories that Selig rigged this or this owner is holding back that or blah blah blah. You have absolutely no ability to admit when you're wrong, and the above quote proves it.

Boston is the seafood capital of the united states. And a japanese guy doesn't like fish or seafood??? :shakeno: :shakeno: He isn't going to feel at home in a costal city the size of Boston. Sure there is a japanese culture in Boston.

Not to mention Boston is a large market not to mention I never said Boston didn't have a chance!! :shakeno: :shakeno: I said teams like Texas, Chicago...etc never had a shot.

And I never claimed Selig has RIGGED anything. If your goign to throw out that lie (claim) back it up with some proof. A link. Thank you

PressCoverage said:
i can only imagine what our front office would put together with the extra $80M... the division would be over by late July....

ya...

You can't even finish in 2nd place anymore with your payroll now you think you have the divison wrapped up in July by spending more money :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: . How did Edgar, Clement, and Coco work out for ya??!!! Yeah, keep spending money.

Can we save this post and thread.........thank you!!!! :lol: :lol:

This one's a keeper

if this is true i dont want to hear redsox fans bitching about yankee money if they are going to spend somewhere in the range of 90-100 million dollars for a pitcher that has never thrown a pitch in the majors

i wanted the guy but that is a lot of money

i would rather take the money and go after zito

brandon1986 said:
if this is true i dont want to hear redsox fans bitching about yankee money if they are going to spend somewhere in the range of 90-100 million dollars for a pitcher that has never thrown a pitch in the majors

i wanted the guy but that is a lot of money

i would rather take the money and go after zito

What Red Sox fan is here complaining about the Yankees' payroll or how much they spend? This is the 2nd time in this thread where it's been brought up. And personally I think it's just a typical Yankee fan put down because they're mad they lost out on this guy.

The Sox HAD to spend the money to try and sign him because every team would have liked to have this guy. Personally I think the whole bidding process is dumb and the guy (along with other players from other countries that are FAs) should go into the draft, but that's a different story/topic all together.

MikeO said:
You can't even finish in 2nd place anymore with your payroll now you think you have the divison wrapped up in July by spending more money :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: . How did Edgar, Clement, and Coco work out for ya??!!! Yeah, keep spending money.

Can we save this post and thread.........thank you!!!! :lol: :lol:

This one's a keeper

what do you have there, 3 names? LOL..... shall i list the dozen or so busts you guys have shot your wad on the past few years who have underperformed?

we finish third one year, and it's "can't finish better than third anymore???"...
were you in drama in high school?

one billion in player salary and counting since your last title?...

your heroes finally wise up and get a few 22-yo pitchers and you're beating your chest? ... wow...

sieg heil the corporation!!! :sidelol: :tongue: :lol: :D

MikeO said:
Boston is the seafood capital of the united states. And a japanese guy doesn't like fish or seafood??? :shakeno: :shakeno: He isn't going to feel at home in a costal city the size of Boston. Sure there is a japanese culture in Boston.

Not to mention Boston is a large market not to mention I never said Boston didn't have a chance!! :shakeno: :shakeno: I said teams like Texas, Chicago...etc never had a shot.

And I never claimed Selig has RIGGED anything. If your goign to throw out that lie (claim) back it up with some proof. A link. Thank you

Wow, getting to cultural profiling now, huh? Boston has a lot of fish, and Japanese people like fish, therefore a Japanese pitcher would be happy in Boston. Would he automatically be happy in Tampa Bay? Houston? Minneapolis? Those are all on major bodies of water with plenty of seafood in him? That is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm surprised you're sinking that low to try to make a point.

You were claiming that Boras could control where Matsuzaka would end up, and for that to happen, someone in the league would have to be aware of it. The Selig example is just metonymy for the league. I guess I have to be specific to the letter just like you are every time.

culpepper2chambers said:
he shoulda went to the mariners.

He hasn't gone anywhere. And the Mariners reportedly didn't put a bid in on him, so blame them, not him.

They're saving their bullets for Schmidt or Zito, though. Argue the merits of that choice all you want, but it's certainly less expensive and less risky, even though it doesn't have as big of an upside.

RWhitney014 said:
He hasn't gone anywhere. And the Mariners reportedly didn't put a bid in on him, so blame them, not him.

They're saving their bullets for Schmidt or Zito, though. Argue the merits of that choice all you want, but it's certainly less expensive and less risky, even though it doesn't have as big of an upside.
yeah i should have said. mariners should have atleast tried for him. but yeah schmidt said that he'd really like to sign with seattle. zito, the mariners have no chance.

RWhitney014 said:
You were claiming that Boras could control where Matsuzaka would end up, and for that to happen, someone in the league would have to be aware of it. The Selig example is just metonymy for the league. I guess I have to be specific to the letter just like you are every time.

Boston was on the list!! :shakeno: My god, NY, Boston, Seattle, Baltimore......those were the teams the kid had no problem playing for. THis isn't like Boston came out of nowhere!! :shakeno: WHy is that so hard to understand!! Boras played those teams agaisnt each other and he got one to pay big money! BOSTON!!

PressCoverage said:
your heroes finally wise up and get a few 22-yo pitchers and you're beating your chest? ... wow...

Im not beating my chest I just said it was a good trade :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Where am I beating my chest. I have even said 2 of these guys will probably be gone by July in another trade!

culpepper2chambers said:
yeah i should have said. mariners should have atleast tried for him. but yeah schmidt said that he'd really like to sign with seattle. zito, the mariners have no chance.

Schmidt to Seattle has been talked about for almost a year now.

One thing to remember, the Texas Rangers have a ton of money to spend. Don't be shocked if they come out of nowhere and break the bank for 1 pitcher.

Although if they trade Texieria for Bonderman......then they won't need to.

MikeO said:
Boston was on the list!! :shakeno: My god, NY, Boston, Seattle, Baltimore......those were the teams the kid had no problem playing for. THis isn't like Boston came out of nowhere!! :shakeno: WHy is that so hard to understand!! Boras played those teams agaisnt each other and he got one to pay big money! BOSTON!!

Who said Boston was a surprise?

Matsuzaka never supplied a list of teams he was willing to play for. You keep changing your argument either way.

My whole point in this situation is that Boras did not control which team he went to. The Red Sox both wanted him and wanted to prevent him from going to the Yankees. Ray's point about the Sox gaining a foothold in Japan like the Mariners and Yankees with Ichiro and Matsui is also a very good point. So they paid to get him.

The other interesting thing I saw today was that Boston is allowed to trade him in what would be similar to the NBA's sign-and-trade policy. They can not trade his rights (if they're the ones who get them), but they can sign him to say, a 5/$55 contract and then trade that to a Texas or something for an absolute king's ransom.

RWhitney014 said:
Who said Boston was a surprise?

Matsuzaka never supplied a list of teams he was willing to play for. You keep changing your argument either way.

My whole point in this situation is that Boras did not control which team he went to. The Red Sox both wanted him and wanted to prevent him from going to the Yankees. Ray's point about the Sox gaining a foothold in Japan like the Mariners and Yankees with Ichiro and Matsui is also a very good point. So they paid to get him.

The other interesting thing I saw today was that Boston is allowed to trade him in what would be similar to the NBA's sign-and-trade policy. They can not trade his rights (if they're the ones who get them), but they can sign him to say, a 5/$55 contract and then trade that to a Texas or something for an absolute king's ransom.

Boras did control it!!!!!! Boras had no problem with this guy going to Boston because he knew it would be a good fit. But if the Rangers came calling, probably talking to Boras to gauge interest before placing a bid......Boras might have said, hey...this kid doesn't want to be stuck in hillbilly Texas cause it might not fit him. So, don't throw in some high bid cause he might not sign with ya. On the other hand he may have told the Sox, Mets, Yanks......go crazy he has no problem playing in your city. That's controling where the kid is going!!!

Why is this so hard to understand..........BORAS IS RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW!!! :shakeno: :shakeno: If you DON'T believe that your naive!

and this doesn't give BOSTON a foothold in Japan either or do anything for them over there in my opinion.

The kid plays once every 5 days. Thats about 30 games a year if healthy. And he may only go 5 or 6 innings on an average day.

In Japan they can air 162 Yankee games and 162 Mariners games because Ichiro and Matsui play everyday. With a pitcher its different and I don't think Japanesse TV people will spend money to air a full season of Red Sox games for a guy who plays once a week. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think I am. Especially when in Japan they have their own Baseball leagues and what not.

Maybe they will air 1 Red Sox game a week when the kid pitches, but they probably do that now anyway or something similar. I don't see Boston making big money off this overseas. I really don't

Back
Top Bottom